Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: So where's BMW going and what're they trying to achieve?  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Hermanator

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Wine brings out the best in me!
So where's BMW going and what're they trying to achieve?
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 05:46:25 pm »
HI Tok Tokkie,

No, I've no link to any further information on the 650 twin. The information listed was as given by Dave last night.

It does sound logical to do a 650 twin, especially if it is simply a case of detuning the new 800 motor as it certainly then opens up a wider radius of touring potential to the 650 sector.

This'll mean having a 650 twin DS and road bike and a 650 single range of off-roaders.

With BMW's model of R15K increments between sizes, and the 800's (road) pitching at R80-90K, I'd see the 650 twins coming in at around the R70-75K mark. If they're long-haul twins, they'll certainly make the BMW 650 DS bike alot more attractive.

Like I've often said, stick the BMW badge on the 650 Strom and you'll have a bike that flies off the floor. Good weather protection, great lights, the most powerful in the 650 sector, the fastest in the 650 sector and (subjectively), the most comfortable and able to cruise for long periods at 180kph plus.

Lawrence

bobnob

So where's BMW going and what're they trying to achieve?
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007, 05:59:59 pm »
Quote from: "Hermanator"
With BMW's model of R15K increments between sizes, and the 800's (road) pitching at R80-90K, I'd see the 650 twins coming in at around the R70-75K mark. If they're long-haul twins, they'll certainly make the BMW 650 DS bike alot more attractive.

a dakar 650 with abs costs 78k so i'm not thinking that price you are hoping for is going to happen

i have also been told that the 800 bike is on its way but it will be a more enduro focussed bike than a tourer - how true it is i dont know - but thats what the bmw dude at auto atlantic said