So where's BMW going and what're they trying to achieve?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermanator

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Last night, at the monthly BMW meeting, a few interesting insights were offered....

- The new range of 650's are in fact the first bikes made by Aprilia and designed by BMW as part of the joint venture hinted at 2-3 years ago.

- The intended launch of the 800GS will take place in Europe in March '08 and possibly August in SA and will be a twin cylinder motor.

- The new 650GS will be a twin, detuned from te 800GS.

- BMW will not be selling Aprilia in SA

- BMW will be launching an 800 road bike aimed at shorter legged riders. It'll largely be a lowered F800S, however there will be some modifications to geometry due to lowered CoG. This could be exciting, something possibly as short as a Buell ad with the handling of a mountain bike. Could be exciting news for shorter riders.

- BMW are eyeing the possibility of purchasing Husquavarna and relaunching the products under the BMW badge.

- BMW's new 450 is a 100% BMW made bike, from design to build.

- BMW, once acquisitions are made, will be serious contenders in the 250, 450 and 650 markets with ranges to suit enduro, off-road and dual sport bikes.

- There is intention to launch the new 800GS in the style of the new 650X Challenge, featuring GAS suspension and damping, similar to the HP2.

- Traction control will not be offered at this time, although this could be a real feature within a very short time.

- Traction control will NOT be standard on any bikes and will only be offered as an optional extra, despite it only being a software tool.

- BMW's new range of 650's run between R70K and 77K, similar in price to the Dakar's. BMW seems intent to maintain a premium priced product in all markets in which it participates.

I do wonder though, where they're taking their steering from when conceptualising the new bikes. It'll be interesting to see how close the market demands they are with the new ranges and replacement bikes as, with the current crop of 650's, I personally feel they've missed the mark. A bike witha 9.5 liter tank, used for anything but offroad is, in my opinion, about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

But then, who am I....

Lawrence