BMW 650X

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clockwork Orange

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Well on the way to work this morning I was riding behind the new 650X which had a Leo Vince after market pipe on which soundeed really cool. Riding behind him created that feeling that Moses surely experienced when the sea parted for him :D

Any how I got chatting to him at a robot and it so happens that it is Marius from Auto Atlantic Waterfront and he recons that I should pop in to their dealership and he will let me have ride on his bike as the demo's have not yet arrived in Cape Town. Who am I to to argue :twisted: :twisted:

So about an hour ago I took his bike for a spin around Cape Town. Here is a quick impression of the bike.

Positives
The bike is aesthetically very easy on the eye (beauty is however in the eye of the beer holder)
Suspension is amazing. Never did any off road but a couple of harsh speed bumps do count to a certain extent :D
The bike is REALLY tall. More so than a 640 (by quite a bit) this is easily adjusted though.
That Leo Vince pipe is awesome on that bike. You will get noticed. For those who do not like a loud pipe, you are going to hate this combo.
It is so light that it feels like a 250 moto crosser but handles just fine at high speed (I took it through some twisties at about 150Km/h)
It was built to wheelie :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Negatives

The seat is literally the same as my KX250 seat . As hard and as narrow.
There are no pillion footpegs.
Fuel tank is just over 9L. They say that with reasonable riding you can get 200Km out of a tank. Marius recons the best he has been able to get is 140 (Why am I not surprised)

In conclusion if I could afford this bike I would buy it on the spot. No question about it. It is as usable as a moto cross bike. I would not hesitate to take it onto an enduro race and the only mod wI would do would be to add knobblies. Grin factor is 10 out of 10. It is in NO way designed for 2 up riding and can NOT be classed as a tourer. If there are long range tanks available for it (and I am sure there will be) it will be perfect for the type of riding DD does.

I want it but unless I can afford 2 bikes it can not replace my Katoom.
I am very curious to see the new KTM 690 and 800 Beemer though. :D

In short .....Man that ride was awesome!!!!