Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: No2Tolls  (Read 5031 times)

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
Re: No2Tolls
« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2011, 11:57:57 am »
Not sure if this has already been suggested elsewhere?
I recon a campaign to try and stop people applying for etags and refuse to pay any fines would have the biggest impact.
The administration costs required to send out invoices, proof of use, statements etc would be astronomical. Everyone should then refuse to pay. What can they do?

fully agree! :thumleft:

Offline thefrog

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2011, 12:06:35 pm »
why not facebook? I see there is a group of around 5400 people there, that are begging to be told what they can do

I should have stated it more clearly - I'm not saying no to facebook - I joined the group myself. I'm saying we should consider Twitter too - you can reach people who aren't joined to the existing Facebook group.

Offline Koet

• T-Rex 700N "The Beast"!
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Splash!
« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2011, 12:17:51 pm »
man0war, pm sent.

Also joined the Facebook page.

I'm now using #no2tolls on twitter to add my voice to this cause.
Only Bikers understand why dogs love to stick their heads out car windows.

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2011, 12:53:25 pm »
Comments?

Offline thefrog

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2011, 01:40:02 pm »
Comments?

I'm not sure I'm understanding the message clearly - the less petrol you use the bigger the impact of the tolls on your budget?

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2011, 01:41:25 pm »
Comments?

I'm not sure I'm understanding the message clearly - the less petrol you use the bigger the impact of the tolls on your budget?

that's right - the toll is a larger percentage of your running costs - so the harder you try to save, the deeper they put it in ;-)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 01:42:07 pm by Bundu »

Offline Beebop

« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2011, 01:46:44 pm »
Not bigger impact on budget, but on running cost.
I.E. bike costs currently R1.00 per km to run, New cost will be R1.24 per km = 24% increase
whereas if current cost is R2.00 per km, then new cost  of R2.24 per km = 12% increase.

Offline man0war

• Bike: Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord
« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2011, 01:49:12 pm »
thank you Xsniper for the logo and web design, and thank you to Bluebull for hosting the web site for us. Your help is appreciated by ALL!!!

when will site be up? www.no2toll.co.za

There was an interesting discussion on CNBCAfrica this morning - Truckers and rental car companies are not very happy.... AT ALL!!!

the guys are working furiously in the background on this (xsniper and bluebull). The site should be up over the weekend. AS soon as it is up i will post the link on here so all can go have a look and give us feedback.

Offline jogi_c

« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2011, 01:57:34 pm »
If you assume that the type of car you drive is genrally equated to your economic status ( rich capitalist tendepreneur = big bad ass 4x4 pimpmobile), that graph shows that the percentage impact of the tolls will be greater on the poor than on the rich.

And that is just for direct traveling costs, not the increase in food etc. A person earning a big salary can more easily absorb a 5% increase in expences than a poor guy struggling to keep head above water that has to absorb a 10% increase in expences, even if the 5% works out to more R per month

So much for looking after the poor ??

Offline man0war

« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2011, 02:03:36 pm »
bloody good points there jogi_c. We need that info on the web so people can see just how it is going to affect their pocket.

Offline Rooikat

• Bike: Honda XR500
  • Honda XL500S
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2011, 02:15:42 pm »
Came across this in this morning's Star. Although I don't often agree with Denis Droppa's viewpoints, this time he's talking sense.
There's also an interesting article in the Business section on freight costs.
"The only reason for cleaning things is if you want to mount, frame and hang them in your living room" - The famous CJC

"The older I get, the better I was."

"I don't care a f*** what it looks like, as long as it works" - The famous CJC

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2011, 02:58:08 pm »
Came across this in this morning's Star. Although I don't often agree with Denis Droppa's viewpoints, this time he's talking sense.
There's also an interesting article in the Business section on freight costs.

I have yet to find ONE person that agrees with the tolls (corrupt ANC officials excluded)

Offline jogi_c

« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2011, 03:20:37 pm »
OK, so there is a lot of debate on what to do about it.

I agree with Jacko, the idea is not to piss of a section of the motoring public by screwing around, the idea is to get ALL users of the urban toll roads involved.

Here is my suggestion:
We declare Fridays as NoHighwayFriday.

What we do, is to get as many as possible road users to NOT use the highway on Fridays. Use the urban roads as far as possible.

The purpose of this is the following:
It will encourage road users to get involved with the campaign, without having to break the law or act like a hooligan
It will expose municipalities, businesses and households to the efect of the increase in urban traffic when road users try to avoid the toll fees
It will enable motorists to start planning their alternative routs under "real world" traffic conditions
It will send a message to SANRAL as to the support such an initiative will have and the effect thereof on traffic patterns

Offline man0war

« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2011, 03:33:40 pm »
excellent suggestion jogi_c. that is certainly one that we should take forward.

Offline duke996

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2011, 03:48:34 pm »
Herewith the latest from our esteemed transport minister

Cape Town - If the public wants freeways then it has to pay for them, Transport Minister Sibusiso Ndebele said on Thursday.

"If there is an outcry and people say they won't pay tolls, then we can't put the freeway in," he said at a press conference in Cape Town on Thursday.

"Freeways are not free."

Ndebele said the "user-pay principle" was accepted throughout the world, but in South Africa people were willingly prepared to pay only in the telecommunications sector.

"In the areas of electricity, water and transport, which improve their lives, such willingness is lacking," he said.

Cabinet approved revised tariffs for the Gauteng Freeway Improvement Project earlier in August.

The rates are 24 cents a kilometre for motorcycles, 40c/km for light motor vehicles and 200c/km for longer vehicles. Qualifying taxis and commuter buses are exempt.

Ndebele said it was time to repay the R20bn loaned to upgrade the Ben Schoeman highway between Johannesburg and Pretoria.

"It has paid for quite a good infrastructure. It is a done deal. That horse has bolted. Now we have to pay for it."

Ndebele said that after years of underspending, the government was making "steady progress" towards ensuring that rail was the backbone of South Africa's public transport system.

"As of 1 April 2011, government is spending R30.2bn over the next three years for rail upgrades across the country, with R19.5bn earmarked for capital spending to upgrade existing infrastructure, signalling systems and rolling stock," Ndebele said.

The Passenger Rail Agency of SA (Prasa) was embarking on "a bold programme" to invest in new rail rolling stock worth an estimated R100bn over 18 years.

This would significantly improve the country's commuter rail transport, Ndebele said.

He said eThekwini was about to complete its full rapid transport plan, which included roads and rail.

Rustenburg too had finalised operational planning and officially launched the Rustenburg Rapid Transport Project on July 21.

Both Tshwane and Polokwane were reviewing their operational plans, he said.

The Gautrain was also proving to be a success. About 3 million passengers had already used the train between Sandton and the airport since its launch in June 2010.

The final stage of the train to Park Station, in Johannesburg, would be ready by the end of

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2011, 03:51:03 pm »
but i already pay for the roads  ????

damn i hate these dumbasses

just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline Beebop

« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2011, 03:52:07 pm »
Didnt you read.....  "Freeways are not free."

Offline jogi_c

« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2011, 04:01:53 pm »
"the horse has bolted" .......

Me thinks it is time for the horse to come back and kick him in the arse.

Any takers for the NoHighwayFriday idea?

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2011, 04:06:32 pm »
What an asinine statement from government... but then all politicians are asses. ::)

Offline man0war

« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2011, 04:08:02 pm »
"Freeways are not free." what a crock of crap. Why do we have such a high fuel levy then.