Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Repair quotes shock  (Read 956 times)

Offline mountainboy

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • I vespa, therefore I am, well, almost....
Repair quotes shock
« on: May 31, 2007, 03:53:31 pm »
So my quotes to repair my bike came and its WAYYYYYYYYY more than I ever would have thought.Had a good look at the quote and its obvious that the dealer loaded the prices.The standard windscreen in almost double what they charge for a taller windscreen over the counter :shock:.

So my question is: Is my premium increase determined by how much the repairs eventually costs??
Or should I let the dealer know that I kw he's loading his prices.Tell the insurance ?(not likely  :? )

What do I do???

should I even stress about this?  :shock:
I love my bike..................

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Re: Repair quotes shock
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 03:57:46 pm »
Quote from: "mountainboy"
So my quotes to repair my bike came and its WAYYYYYYYYY more than I ever would have thought.Had a good look at the quote and its obvious that the dealer loaded the prices.The standard windscreen in almost double what they charge for a taller windscreen over the counter :shock:.

So my question is: Is my premium increase determined by how much the repairs eventually costs??
Or should I let the dealer know that I kw he's loading his prices.Tell in the insurance (not likely  :? )

What do I do???

should I even stress about this?  :shock:

Trust me we have seen this before, lots of bikes with "cosmetic" damage get written off this way, but there are never second hand spares on the market? Check with Grootseun.

Welsh  8)  8)
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline CrazyPorra

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • The Mutton Man
Repair quotes shock
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 03:58:44 pm »
Welcome to the dark side of insurance claim, if You can't have it fixed for less than the excess is going to be then just ignore it and let them sort it out.

My experience was that quote was 10K and my excess was 3K and I had it fixed by reputable Panel Shop for 2K, so saved me 1K.

Offline LostDOG

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • It's confirmed - I am too sexy!
Repair quotes shock
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 03:59:06 pm »
IMO you should haggle as if you are paying out of your pocket, all of us should in these circumstances. Thus, the repair costs don't adversely effect everyone's premiums.
Don't threaten to bust the oke, just barter with him. Make him understand that you know a bit about the repairs.
It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The windnoise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. Suck it up. -- Scary Gary MC

Offline Grootseun

Repair quotes shock
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 04:04:03 pm »
Scan the quote and post it please.. wanna see what exactly they are doin.

There's a dude up here in JHB that does secondhand parts..it's hit & miss most of the time but always worth a try..

Yep, my Dak was deemed uneconomical to fix, but i have learned my lesson...fark the stealerships..

what porra sez makes lotsa sense..it's piss easy working on the dak.. you just need a decent set of torx tools and some sockets and that man bob.. is married to yer aunty..(BTW where is uncle bob these days)

<Edit>

Lostdog is right, haggle and they will hopefully change their approach.. ask them to omit things that you can get over the counter, like the screen, indicators etc..
Get  the excess of the claim, and if you can manage to get the parts for less, you win all the way..

Offline mountainboy

• Race Dog
Repair quotes shock
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 04:11:05 pm »
Grootseun - just PM'ed you

The dealer has been good to me in the past (short tho) but what I thought was a R5000 jobbie is now R20 000.Things that not broken is being replaced.

I'll find out more about the process from the dealer and insurance.I'll def haggle and see if I can keep all the replaced parts.

I initially had the idea about fixing it myself!!

I dunno -all very freaky to me!!

Oh -the bike is still under warranty -I bet they will throw that back in my face.Things that MUST be replaced if I want my warranty to be un-affected.geez!!

Offline Grootseun

Repair quotes shock
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 04:18:48 pm »
I replied..

Dont be afraid of the warrantee, sometimes it better to not let the dealer get to know you too well.  If they do not know that you did a diy on replacing some of the parts.. it cannot affect your warrantee.

Like i said, contact another dealer and see what they charge for the replacement parts over the counter.

R20k is alot of money.. even for the insurance..the premiums on gs's are getting inflated because of instances like this where the dealer is unethical.

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
Repair quotes shock
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 04:24:35 pm »
You need to kick up a storm if they quote for stuff that?s not broken, it's unethical and it's stealing. Most of the parts they replace that?s still in good condition never go to the insurance companies, they keep it and re sell them.

Your dealer is not your friend and in the end all of us get nailed because our premiums will increase. It's because everybody just let them go on that our premuims have increased so much the last year or two.

Do what GS suggest.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Repair quotes shock
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 04:32:41 pm »
Quote from: "michnus"
You need to kick up a storm if they quote for stuff that?s not broken, it's unethical and it's stealing. Most of the parts they replace that?s still in good condition never go to the insurance companies, they keep it and re sell them.

Your dealer is not your friend and in the end all of us get nailed because our premiums will increase. It's because everybody just let them go on that our premuims have increased so much the last year or two.

Do what GS suggest.

Sorry to butt in Mich, but the problem can be (as was discussed before), they replace if scratched as well, even if not broken. But yes, where do the bits go.

Welsh
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline mountainboy

• Race Dog
Repair quotes shock
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 04:43:02 pm »
I ask the dealer about the spares and he simply answered that its the insurance call.

My colleque informed me tho that BMW makes sure that no spare second hand parts gets on the market.

Think about it -the 650gs is SA's best selling bike but there's never spares.

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
Repair quotes shock
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 05:11:02 pm »
Who's the dealership ?

Harbourview, Boland view or Tygerberg view ?
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline chrisB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Repair quotes shock
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 05:14:48 pm »
I ask the dealer about the spares and he simply answered that its the insurance call.

My colleque informed me tho that BMW makes sure that no spare second hand parts gets on the market.

Sorry MB I have missed the post/part with what happened to your bike... R20000 what for?
G650 Xchallenge - uBerThuMper II

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
Repair quotes shock
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 05:32:21 pm »

HAHAHAHA ja that's what he will tell you. Most accessors go and look at the spares and then notify the insurance company that he has seen them.

Most of them then leave it there for the dealer to throw away. You go ask the dealer for one or second hand parts, they always have some stuff laying around for you to buy. Obviously they won't flood the market with that.
Besides what must the insurance company do with broken stuff? Can you imagine the size warehouse a insurance company must have to keep all this broken stuff form all the vehicles? :lol:

Offline tok-tokkie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
Repair quotes shock
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 06:05:46 pm »
On a related topic.  I am looking for a Dakar seat pan (just the plastic frame).  Got a quote on a new complete seat from Auto Atlantic today.  They said they have sold several replacement seats but no damaged ones available.  Grootseun, where should I be looking?

Offline Vonkprop

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Repair quotes shock
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 07:56:37 pm »
When I still had my Dakar I had a minor tumble near Dullstroom.
Still managed to ride home from Lydenburg the next day (Visegrips make a handy emergency clutch lever !.) No structural damage.
Quote from **** BMW R31000   :shock: . I told them to only replace the essentials and forget about the minor scuffs etc....
Cost R5500.
Now listen to this : Outsurance paid me R29 000 straight into my account , they said I must speak to BMW as they weren't interested they had already paid me (based on the initial quote).
So do the maths   :lol:  I almost felt bad about it but decided to look at it as lots of bling money for Staalvarkie plus a few years free premiums thrown in  :oops:

Anyone had a similar experience ??
You're never lost as long as you still have gas !

Offline mountainboy

• Race Dog
Repair quotes shock
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2007, 08:14:29 am »
Quote from: "Vonkprop"
When I still had my Dakar I had a minor tumble near Dullstroom.
Still managed to ride home from Lydenburg the next day (Visegrips make a handy emergency clutch lever !.) No structural damage.
Quote from **** BMW R31000   :shock: . I told them to only replace the essentials and forget about the minor scuffs etc....
Cost R5500.
Now listen to this : Outsurance paid me R29 000 straight into my account , they said I must speak to BMW as they weren't interested they had already paid me (based on the initial quote).
So do the maths   :lol:  I almost felt bad about it but decided to look at it as lots of bling money for Staalvarkie plus a few years free premiums thrown in  :oops:

Anyone had a similar experience ??

:shock: Be jee wizz

Thats alot of moola.Gues you were lucky then.

I dropped my bike on top of a broken tree stump,hitting the headlight on the side.This caused the light to be pushed back,twisting the holding bracket. Which in turn pushed back the dash,cracking the glass (minor crack tho). The headlight is still perfect and scratches on the screen.The fairings also got mis-aligned,with a few holding clips broken off but def still usable. The biggest concern I had at the time was that the light holding bracket pushed back into the steering column which meant I could turn the thandlebar completely.

Everything still worked on the bike - starts easy,all indicators,hazard lights,can even switch off the ABS.Drove her for short distance besides the steering being compromised by that bracket -everything was fine

Gonna haggle Auto Atlantic.

Freaky quotes  :evil:

Offline Obi -Wan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Repair quotes shock
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2007, 09:19:23 am »
The downside to what the stealers are doing is that Insurance Companies are loading their premiums to such an extent that it is becoming un-affordable - Try and insure a 1200 GS today - See what you get quoted and what your excess will be? I think the best deal is with BMW who are probably doing a huge cross-subsidisation on the 1200"s. But , for how long?

The 1200 Gs is one of the bestsellers ( I heard at the BMW Gathering that BMW moves 80 of these  bikes a month) so it stands to reason it also has greater exposure because there are more on the roads and more will be involved in offs and BMW will milk the parts costs as much as the can.

Both my BMW's currently cost R633 Per month  for comprehensive cover with no tracking or anti-theft fitted. Why are older models so much cheaper to insure ? It is directly linked to parts demand which is so much less. Accessories for the 1100 GS are cheap because demand is low, they give you big discounts to get it off the shelf.

Just a tip - most Adventure bikes are accessorised to some extent with aftermarket parts - List everthing, keep your receipts and send an itemised list to your insurance company. Make a backup videotape and /or take photos of your scooter every time you make a change or add something on your bike which changes it's value. It costs R12,00 to  mail your list to your insurer or broker by registered mail and the few rand extra premium every month is well worth it. Videotaping the contents of your house , car's etc is also not a bad idea for insurance purposes. Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Real Men ride a Pig !

Offline mountainboy

• Race Dog
Repair quotes shock
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2007, 09:57:50 am »
Right -so I ph for prices and it seems that what they quoted is actually on par . So that little windscreen on the GS is quoted at R1400 while the tall dakar screen is going for R790. Yep,I'm confused too :?

Now its a question of BMW replacing parts that's not actually broken.Like the headlight,heated handle etc

I'll keep you updated

bobnob

Repair quotes shock
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2007, 10:21:37 am »
Right -so I ph for prices and it seems that what they quoted is actually on par . So that little windscreen on the GS is quoted at R1400 while the tall dakar screen is going for R790. Yep,I'm confused too :?

Now its a question of BMW replacing parts that's not actually broken.Like the headlight,heated handle etc

I'll keep you updated

if it was damaged (ie. scratched, etc) then they will replace it

we dont care about small scratches - its part of the bikes character but down the line it will affect your trade-in or re-sale value

Offline mountainboy

• Race Dog
Repair quotes shock
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2007, 10:28:32 am »
Gonna try real hard to get the quote reduced or at least have all those replaced items given to me.

Perhaps replace all the new parts with the scratched items,which besides the scratches,works perfectly. I'll fall many more times to come.
And then swop them again if I sell the bike or have a big fall.

I dunno -time will tell