1200GSA Oil leak after service

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithcorne

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Hi

My 2010 GSA was serviced on the 25 of July by Bavarian Motorrad. Got the bike on the Monday and went to Tzaneen and then home to LTT the next day. Drove up and down a few times and did a dirt road trip this past weekend to Thabazimbi and back, all in all 1500km. While in the dirt I noticed that the dust was settling all over the bike, especially on the right (throttle) side, from the air box down and to the back on oil that was leaking from somewhere. There is no leaks apparent from any seals that I can see. I opened the air box and felt that the bottom 1/3 of the box is "wet". It smells like petrol, and some of it might well be that spook-mist that comes from evaporating petrol, but the bottom felt wet like oil, not evaporated petrol. I also noticed that the oil level hasn't "come down" yet. This was my 30 000km service so in all my 4th service on the bike, and I noticed every time that checking the oil level directly after a service that you cant see the "top" level of the oil after warming the engine with a ride and then checking after 5min. You have to drive a thousand or more km before you start to notice the oil level when stopped. I "think"/guess that the engine has been over topped more this time....

Bavarian said they will collect the bike if I find oil in the air filter box and correct the issue. My worries is, what can go wrong when too much oil is added after an oil change? Different engines behave differently. So is there any comment on this issue from any of you with experience?

Then, if its not necessary to drain the oil out and top up with enough this time, do I leave the issue and tell BMW I will drive like this? The oil level has come down somewhat. When I tip the bike over slightly, say 15 degrees my wife on the other side can see the top of the oil now...