Rock Hopping in the Blue Mountains. June 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaqhama

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki Super Sherpa
As Captain Slow was taking his KLR to great heights in the Bavians, Shalako-Lin and I were taking our bikes along a torturous trail in the middle of the Blue Mountains.
On the way we stopped and checked out some Roman ruins.
TrailBikingintheBlueMountains030607.jpg

Then it was up to Falconbridge and the beginning of a tough fire trail that leads towards the junction of two rivers further north.
Few people use this trail anymore, it's impassable to all but the very keen 4x4 drivers, we appeared to be the only two people to transverse it for many months. Apart from a girl on a mountain bike we passed there were no other tire tracks in the mud/sand/gravel apart from our own.
You will notice that Lin is on the DT 175 and I am on her new Sherpa...that's because the Sherpa is still shod with road tires. Riding the Sherpa thru some of the sandy and muddy parts of the track was exciting.
I thought Lin had enough to worry about without massive traction loss.
TrailBikingintheBlueMountains030-4.jpg

TrailBikingintheBlueMountains030-1.jpg

Lin was quite confident to begin with, but then the track got a little tougher.
TrailBikingintheBlueMountains030-5.jpg

Lin wasn't too sure about this. It's the first time I have taken her on really rugged and rough terrain.
TrailBikingintheBlueMountains030-6.jpg

But she's a tough chick. She had a few doubtful moments, but (with heart in mouth) she took a deep breath and rode over some real gnarly obstacles.
TrailBikingintheBlueMountains030-9.jpg

TrailBikingintheBlueMountains030-3.jpg

She rode thru soft sand, mud, slippery gravel and some real big rock formations...and came thru with flying colors.
This is a pic from the end of the track.
WD's note the bandana.
TrailBikingintheBlueMountains030-7.jpg

Testing the new Sherpa's rock hopping ability.
TrailBikingintheBlueMountains030-8.jpg

On the way back Jaq found something a little trickier to negotiate.
TrailBikingintheBlueMountains030-10.jpg

Jaq testing the DT 175's suspension capability.
TrailBikingintheBlueMountains030-2.jpg

We had a great time. Lin now knows she can ride along and over stuff she would never have dreamt of a few short months ago.
I'll post some more pics of this weekends adventure later in the week.

Cheers: Jaq and Lin.