Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The truth about riding solo  (Read 4066 times)

Offline TeeJay

Re: The truth about riding solo
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2011, 08:39:57 am »
I don't really like people so solo it is  :ricky:
Ja/Nee

Online ETS

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2011, 09:59:54 am »
I like what I'm reading here.

Maybe we are a subspecies of the lycaon pictus?

Yes, there is a risk attached to riding solo. But it can be managed to the point of it being safer than the group orgies we read about so often on this forum. Isn't it interesting that most of these crashes happen in groups? It would be interesting (although very hard) to work out the % of riders falling in groups vis-a-vis riding solo. I have my suspicions, though.

Suppose it's like so many other things: If you have to explain it to someone they wouldn't understand.  :thumleft:

Great minds think alike...... ;) ::)
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline Spore

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2011, 10:08:15 am »
For me there is a sliding scale regarding the types of trips that I take ie solo, small group or larger group. This scale determines to a large extent the ingredients of the trip eg duration, difficulty of the route, camping versus lodging, own food versus purchased meals, speed, where to stop / not to stop, etc.

Personally I prefer small group rides, max 3 bikes, and solo.

During solo your senses become much more active - you see & look in more detail, you drive within manageable limits, a different rythm determines your routine and everything you experience gets stuck in your sole and memory. This for me makes a trip's memories much more longer lasting than hit and run group trips. When I read the Ride Reports of solo rides you can actually taste the emotions, hear the sounds, feel the pains and share the excitement of the rider. :ricky:
Courage without conscience is a wild beast...

Offline Frog

« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2011, 10:41:25 am »
Most people never experience the sensation of being totally alone. They almost have a fear of being lonely whereas the solitude of having just your own thoughts as company is a totally the opposite. I am never bored when on my own.
One of my best memories is of a night I spent in Baviaanspoort with just a fire and a dog that managed to find me as company. The isolation and stillness is something special.
Triumph Thuxton R
Triumph Bonneville T120
KTM 990R
KTM 990 Adventure (sold), BMW 650 Xchallenge (sold)
BMW 1200GSA (sold)

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2011, 11:26:36 am »
For my part I have not done a complete solo bike trip as yet - but it is in planning at the moment, persauding the household takes a little time!

For a greater part of my life i have at some point in the year, taken a solo trip - in the cage for various reasons - and from Mozambique to Namibia and all over SA. I most often have an end-point and time in mind, and I stay off of the main roads as far as possible. I normally travel early and stop by mid-afternoon - 4pm-ish. The whole travelling alone experience is absolutely amazing for me - it allows me to completely chill out, stop wherever, whenever and recharges my soul at a completely different level to travelling with others.

Sitting around a camp-fire alone at night with a few beers, soms OB's, whatever is some of the most important me-time that I can have and i trully cherish those moments! Many a plan has been hatche whilst alone at a fire in the far reaches of the Cederberg or Karroo!

Many other trips have been with other people - a bike trip many years ago to Northern Kenya came with amazing memories and a respect for my travelling partner that cannot be compared - but were very different from a solo trip!!
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Dirty Des

« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2011, 12:30:42 pm »
Love riding solo, just try and think things through as far as possible, take a few spares, a good mootie bag, lots of water, and a few tins.

Like to meet new people, see places I've never been to before, and leave when I'm ready - ride till I've had enough - plan the route as I go along and head for home before dark (KTM640 lights are K#k!)

I've met wonderful people, eaten some strange things and experienced generosity from the poorest of people, some have become friends that I simply have to visit again.

Been considering a Sat phone, just in case, otherwise leave a general area map and an ETA with my sister - let her know of my where abouts when I have signal in the evenings otherwise solo it is.

Offline Cave Girl

« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2011, 01:18:35 pm »
Used to love my solo rides but have now discovered the perfect riding partner, never pushes me beyond my capibilities, encourages me out my comfort zone often,  is always willing to climb back up the mountain to come take my bike down when I am too scared, will nearly always allow me to persuade him to take his bike through the water/mud/sand first and then never grumbles about going back for mine if I figure I can't do it, so I guess haveing the perfect riding partner is just as good a doing it solo but with back up  ;D
Thanks LD  :thumleft:
Like a Bat .... have a unique vision to search SUCCESS in the DARK -

Offline Boeloe

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Off road but on track for Jesus
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2011, 01:36:30 pm »
Nothing beats riding solo............... it can only be experienced and not be explained.
XT660R Mods: Dual Penta pipes, SW Motech Mainstand & crashbars, Oxford Heated Grips, Topbox, Raising links.

Offline Tommy Transalp

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2011, 01:44:47 pm »
"If you a Great Good thing want to know... Then Alone to a Silent place you must go".  :)
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

Offline DirtyHarry

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • The journey will never end.
    • waveline holiday accommodation
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2011, 04:08:11 pm »
Used to love my solo rides but have now discovered the perfect riding partner, never pushes me beyond my capibilities, encourages me out my comfort zone often,  is always willing to climb back up the mountain to come take my bike down when I am too scared, will nearly always allow me to persuade him to take his bike through the water/mud/sand first and then never grumbles about going back for mine if I figure I can't do it, so I guess haveing the perfect riding partner is just as good a doing it solo but with back up  ;D
Thanks LD  :thumleft:
Congrats Cave Girl. LD is definitely a keeper   :love4:

I am also so fortunate that my pillion goes wherever I go (down) with very little complaining and we are having a lot of fun travelling together.

But after my first solo trip I knew that I have to do that again. It brings you a lot further out of your comfort zone and it is a lot more rewarding if you travel solo. I can't think of a better escape from the modern world than experiencing the solitude only a solo ride can offer.
The emotions you are going through can be overwhelming at times. I don't cry easily but I did quite often on my first solo ride, most of the time because of pure joy. Who cares, you can totally be yourself, nobody is judging you.
Freedom it is.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 05:18:54 pm by DirtyHarry »

Offline laurika

• hoessenaam van hydrabad...
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • helmet hair is very cool....everyone says so
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2011, 05:10:47 pm »
"If you a Great Good thing want to know... Then Alone to a Silent place you must go".  :)
truth dat !

"There is no happiness for him who does not travel...Therefore, wander... The fortune of him who is sitting sits, it rises when he rises, it sleeps when he sleeps, it moves when he moves... Therefore, wander!"...The Rig Veda - 800 - 600 BC..

bmw F650GS/ XT 660 R

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2011, 07:59:54 pm »
This is what TED SIMON said of solo travel in his book The Gypsy in Me :

Solitary travel has a peculiar power for those of us who are suited to it. Along with the discovery of one's own true nature and the opportunities to express it comes a corresponding freedom to think thoughts that may be considered odd, threatening, even reprehensible and lunatic, by ones familiar acqaintances. It is perfectly natural that prophets should come out the wildernis bearing revelations, but all prophets are not created equal. Some are giants, some are mediocre, some are of piddling stature, and some are nuts. The difficulty is that neither they nor those that receive there proclamations can really tell untill much later.

Mine is not pure asceticism of a single-handed yachtsman or a Saint-Exupery.There is no lack of people in my journeys, and they are my principal interest. Nor am I a dispassionate voyeur peering into other peoples lives. Strong connections are formed rapidly, and they nourish me. What distinguishes them from my relationships with friends and family at home is the absence of those expectations which I find burdensome and restrctive, demanding that I behave in certain predictable ways. These emotionable transactions trade too heavily on guilt and obligation for my taste. When I travel alone, I experience a sence of freedom that occasionally comes close to ecstacy.

The physical freedom is an important element - the abilty to stay or go as one pleases, to follow whatever the inner voice suggests, is a rare luxury in most lives, and there must be many who have never allowed themselves to experience that inner-directedness -- the compass in the heart. More valuable to me even than that is the freedom to be whoever and whatever you feel youself to be rather than having to conform to the patterns that others are accustomed to expect. "

And that is it. You either are or are not a solo traveller and you will know which.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 08:09:34 pm by jupiter »
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline DirtyHarry

• Race Dog
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2011, 09:10:50 pm »
This is what TED SIMON said of solo travel in his book The Gypsy in Me :
Solitary travel has a peculiar power for those of us who are suited to it. Along with the discovery of one's own true nature and the opportunities to express it comes a corresponding freedom to think thoughts that may be considered odd, threatening, even reprehensible and lunatic, by ones familiar acqaintances. It is perfectly natural that prophets should come out the wildernis bearing revelations, but all prophets are not created equal. Some are giants, some are mediocre, some are of piddling stature, and some are nuts. The difficulty is that neither they nor those that receive there proclamations can really tell untill much later.
Mine is not pure asceticism of a single-handed yachtsman or a Saint-Exupery.There is no lack of people in my journeys, and they are my principal interest. Nor am I a dispassionate voyeur peering into other peoples lives. Strong connections are formed rapidly, and they nourish me. What distinguishes them from my relationships with friends and family at home is the absence of those expectations which I find burdensome and restrctive, demanding that I behave in certain predictable ways. These emotionable transactions trade too heavily on guilt and obligation for my taste. When I travel alone, I experience a sence of freedom that occasionally comes close to ecstacy.
The physical freedom is an important element - the abilty to stay or go as one pleases, to follow whatever the inner voice suggests, is a rare luxury in most lives, and there must be many who have never allowed themselves to experience that inner-directedness -- the compass in the heart. More valuable to me even than that is the freedom to be whoever and whatever you feel youself to be rather than having to conform to the patterns that others are accustomed to expect. "
And that is it. You either are or are not a solo traveller and you will know which.

Thanks Jupiter. These are wise words from Ted.

I probably have to go for a 10 day solo ride to think about what I’ve just read  ;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 09:12:19 pm by DirtyHarry »

Offline Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2011, 09:20:16 pm »
The book gives quite a bit of insight into him as a person. That trip and the book was done between his two RTW trips.

Offline DirtyHarry

• Race Dog
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2011, 09:35:44 pm »
The book gives quite a bit of insight into him as a person. That trip and the book was done between his two RTW trips.

Now I know where your name comes from.

So you got that solo thing in you as well  :mwink:

Offline Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2011, 09:44:09 pm »

Yep, thats me. I've had a long facination with TS and wanting to know why he just upped at age 42, got on a bike and rode around the world. I really regret not being able to meet him last year when he was here. I've read just about everything his written, searching for the man.

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2011, 09:54:39 pm »

Yep, thats me. I've had a long facination with TS and wanting to know why he just upped at age 42, got on a bike and rode around the world. I really regret not being able to meet him last year when he was here. I've read just about everything his written, searching for the man.

Reading your post I thought that I'd like to ride with you.

But then the irony of such an endeavour struck me. So you fark off in your direction and I'll fark off in mine.  :biggrin:
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2011, 09:59:34 pm »

But then the irony of such an endeavour struck me. So you fark off in your direction and I'll fark off in mine.  :biggrin:

Exactly. I had to smile at that as well when I read 2SD's earlier post about us solo riders doing a ride together. But there's always the get togethers on the road and evenings that I enjoy. I just want to ride alone and not be pressured by others.

Offline White Rhino

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2011, 06:10:17 am »
This Solo thing have anything to do with relationships?

The sort of poll could separate the singles from the mingles:

I'm single and I like riding Solo
I'm married / committed and I like riding Solo
I'm single and I DON'T usually ride Solo
I'm married / committed and I DON'T usually ride Solo

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, KTM500, KTM990 Adv, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline J-mo

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Get up one more time!!!
« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2011, 07:17:22 am »

Exactly. I had to smile at that as well when I read 2SD's earlier post about us solo riders doing a ride together. But there's always the get togethers on the road and evenings that I enjoy. I just want to ride alone and not be pressured by others.

Now please tell me that you did not thought of me when you made that statement!? :o
Getting lost during an adventure is a relative term. It all depends if you're enjoying it.