Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The truth about riding solo  (Read 4067 times)

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
Re: The truth about riding solo
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2011, 07:41:53 am »
I have to agree with what many have said here about solo riding/trips. Many of my day rides and overnighters/weekend trips have been solo. Even as a youngster I would go away by myself to go surfing, fishing, camping whatever. I have always found that time alone rewarding. Good memories. The 10k kms I did in Bots is still some of the best times I have had on my bike.

But Like Cavegirl said....I have now found the perfect riding partner. Malibu has followed me for a swim in Moz, at Ponto, after I got the brainfart that a swim in the Indian ocean was a good idea. That intailed a 560km round trip.  ;D

I think my solo days might be over and I am not complaining. Having a soul mate to share all the experiences is just as rewarding.  :thumleft:

Offline DirtyHarry

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • The journey will never end.
    • waveline holiday accommodation
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2011, 08:29:09 am »
Nobody is saying that the solo riders are all single or can't mingle. You can have a perfect relationship, a lot of good friends and after all you might still get something out of it if you are on your own for a couple of days.

Time off the regular life is what's important to me. Doing it solo brings it to another level.

I always return home as a happy man and that makes me a better husband  :mwink:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 08:29:56 am by DirtyHarry »

Online Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2011, 08:30:02 am »
The book gives quite a bit of insight into him as a person. That trip and the book was done between his two RTW trips.

Now I know where your name comes from.

So you got that solo thing in you as well  :mwink:

Yep, thats me. I've had a long facination with TS and wanting to know why he just upped at age 42, got on a bike and rode around the world. I really regret not being able to meet him last year when he was here. I've read just about everything his written, searching for the man.

Reading your post I thought that I'd like to ride with you.

But then the irony of such an endeavour struck me. So you fark off in your direction and I'll fark off in mine.  :biggrin:

Exactly. I had to smile at that as well when I read 2SD's earlier post about us solo riders doing a ride together. But there's always the get togethers on the road and evenings that I enjoy. I just want to ride alone and not be pressured by others.

Now please tell me that you did not thought of me when you made that statement!? :o

Not at all. Like I said before. I've now become reluctant to ride alone and I think my long solo trips are over. I just choose my riding companions to ensure we have compatable riding styles and we've enjoyed our rides.  :3some:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline cloudgazer

• RPMods
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • fontera
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2011, 08:38:57 am »
The book gives quite a bit of insight into him as a person. That trip and the book was done between his two RTW trips.

Yep, thats me. I've had a long facination with TS and wanting to know why he just upped at age 42, got on a bike and rode around the world. I really regret not being able to meet him last year when he was here. I've read just about everything his written, searching for the man.

He's a really great guy.

Have you read 'riding high'?  - it's kind of a sequel to Jupiter's Travels.

Online Wolweseun

• Forum Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • VannieBaai
    • Bikes n Bits
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2011, 08:45:31 am »
This Solo thing have anything to do with relationships?

The sort of poll could separate the singles from the mingles:

I'm single and I like riding Solo
I'm married / committed and I like riding Solo
I'm single and I DON'T usually ride Solo
I'm married / committed and I DON'T usually ride Solo

you could add
I'm married / Thats why I like/need to ride Solo
"Life is like a penis - simple, relaxed and hanging free...

it's women who make it hard"

www.bikesnbits.co.za

Offline J-mo

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Get up one more time!!!
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2011, 08:45:54 am »

Exactly. I had to smile at that as well when I read 2SD's earlier post about us solo riders doing a ride together. But there's always the get togethers on the road and evenings that I enjoy. I just want to ride alone and not be pressured by others.

Now please tell me that you did not thought of me when you made that statement!? :o

Not at all. Like I said before. I've now become reluctant to ride alone and I think my long solo trips are over. I just choose my riding companions to ensure we have compatable riding styles and we've enjoyed our rides.  :3some:
[/quote]

I'm a bit of both, all depending on my state of mind. Don't like big groups that much, three or four is enough. Nothing that clears my head like a solo ride, starting early morning, ending late afternoon. I never done a multi day solo.

Need the tjol talking while stealth camping and braaing smoked varknek.

So, Jupiter, it's been a long time. Last time we rode together we got lost in a citrus orchard because of a locked gate on the channel road??
Getting lost during an adventure is a relative term. It all depends if you're enjoying it.

Online Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2011, 08:46:32 am »

He's a really great guy.

Have you read 'riding high'?  - it's kind of a sequel to Jupiter's Travels.

Yep and also an avid fan of his website.

Online Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2011, 08:53:55 am »

I'm a bit of both, all depending on my state of mind. Don't like big groups that much, three or four is enough. Nothing that clears my head like a solo ride, starting early morning, ending late afternoon. I never done a multi day solo.

Need the tjol talking while stealth camping and braaing smoked varknek.

So, Jupiter, it's been a long time. Last time we rode together we got lost in a citrus orchard because of a locked gate on the channel road??
[/quote]

An important note when you choose your riding companions is to ensure that the navigator has a GPS so that when you do get lost you do so properly. It increases the fun factor. >:D

Offline Fudmucker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2011, 09:00:27 am »
I met Ted when he was out here - fascinating man!
But I'm not that kind of character.  I actually enjoy company when I'm on a ride.
I find my solitude inside the helmet as I ride.

Riding in groups:

Riding in groups lets you stretch your boundaries without being reckless.
Yes, it's the "Born to be MILD" option, but it's a darn sight better than sitting at home watching DVD's of others riding and dreaming about it.
The Bike Club I belong to is about the social side of things.
There are the 'soloists' there who tend to ride off in front and scout the route.
There are newbies - especially the lady riders - who wouldn't ever dream of doing it alone, or would turn back that appreciate the support of the experienced riders.

Recently, I rode Swartbergpas and Gamkaskloof.  My immediate riding companion was a retired gentleman and caution was restricting him from fully participating. By supporting him and saying "It's just over that hill there..." and such, we both ended up seeing 'Die Hel'.
Mutual support motivates the group as a whole.  If it hadn't been for him and me having to persuade him, I may just have turned back myself when the going got tough.

My wife once asked me why I leave her, the kids, the home and go off on rides. 
To me, it's an individual freedom thing that a man (or woman) just needs to do now and again...
I also told her that the riding may be the reason why I leave,
but she (and what she keeps alive in the family) is the reason why I come back.    :mwink:
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Online RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2011, 09:04:27 am »

My wife once asked me why I leave her, the kids, the home and go off on rides. 
To me, it's an individual freedom thing that a man (or woman) just needs to do now and again...
but she (and what she keeps alive in the family) is the reason why I come back.    :mwink:
It's our Cave Man genes... :mwink:

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2011, 09:13:11 am »
I smaak going on rides on my bike.

If it's with a whole group of riders that is cool.

If it's with one or two mates that is cool.

If it's by myself that is also cool.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline Saddle Up

« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2011, 10:03:52 am »
This Solo thing have anything to do with relationships?

The sort of poll could separate the singles from the mingles:

I'm single and I like riding Solo
I'm married / committed and I like riding Solo
I'm single and I DON'T usually ride Solo
I'm married / committed and I DON'T usually ride Solo

Would like to see the results of such a poll.
I do however suspect that the solo riders will suprise by revealing that they are in fact the ones happily commited.

Mark, the both of you are in a fortunate relationship to be able to share the experience :thumleft:

n Skaap is nie n scrambler

Online Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2011, 10:12:07 am »
I have to agree with what many have said here about solo riding/trips. Many of my day rides and overnighters/weekend trips have been solo. Even as a youngster I would go away by myself to go surfing, fishing, camping whatever. I have always found that time alone rewarding. Good memories. The 10k kms I did in Bots is still some of the best times I have had on my bike.

But Like Cavegirl said....I have now found the perfect riding partner. Malibu has followed me for a swim in Moz, at Ponto, after I got the brainfart that a swim in the Indian ocean was a good idea. That intailed a 560km round trip.  ;D

I think my solo days might be over and I am not complaining. Having a soul mate to share all the experiences is just as rewarding.  :thumleft:

My best rides have been with my wife(as pillion) and we've been doing it since we were youngsters. We tour alone and the companionship is great.
One of the reasons I stopped riding for eleven years is because she could no longer tour with me while the kids were small.

Online Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2011, 10:28:45 am »

My best rides have been with my wife(as pillion) and we've been doing it since we were youngsters. We tour alone and the companionship is great.
One of the reasons I stopped riding for eleven 27 years is because she could no longer tour with me while the kids were small.

+1000
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L - Sold,   Honda CRF250Rally back in the stable,   BMW K1200LT.

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2011, 11:03:48 am »
I met Ted when he was out here - fascinating man!
But I'm not that kind of character.  I actually enjoy company when I'm on a ride.
I find my solitude inside the helmet as I ride.

Riding in groups:

You sweet talking ol' dog you!  ;D
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline King Louis

« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2011, 12:02:02 pm »
Off to Cpt soon. Business calling, so I could fly. I rather ride up and down. Quite happy on my own and looking forward to it.

Offline tok-tokkie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2011, 01:57:37 pm »

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2011, 02:12:10 pm »
Ah.....interesting reading.
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2011, 02:25:06 pm »

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2011, 02:38:41 pm »
Hi DirtyHarry

I remember the circumstances that lead to your Namibia ride and enjoyed your RR trials and tribulations. This was most probably the best thing you could have done to give yourself a break.

I bought my bike in Pretoria in Jan 11 and drove 1700km down to Cape Town over 3 days - solo. It was an enjoyable ride through Potchefstroom, Groot Gat and Carnarvon. The ride itself was great, but I did miss company during the stops. You stop at a grubby Spar in Bloemhof and have 10 PDIs approaching you, wanting to watch your bike / food / money for booze / steal your things. You don't have anyone else to talk to, so you fight them off and then worry about your things whilst buying lunch. I eventually rode to the bridge over the river outside the dorp to enjoy lunch.

Fortunately the company of nice people at night stopovers broke the monotony - especially sleeping over at friends on a farm in the Carnarvon district.

It is a mixed affair, but if you have the company of someone you get on with, riding with someone is better - for me. Motivating yourself to go on a ride is sometimes an effort, but if you can make an occasion of it by having someone to join you the ride becomes an event :)

My 2c...

BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.