Doing Africa: Beware of this conman

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlw

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
If you plan to do Africa and you end up in Wadi Halfa, you will probably come across this jerk:

He calls himself Mazaar, Ali or Mohammed. He has three names because he has ripped people off and by changing his name other folk think he is some-one else. Hence the photo. If you do see him, avoid him. He will spin you stories about how the barge is full, but for $100, the captain will move some cargo and make a plan. We paid as we did not want to sit for four more days. When the barge did arrive in Aswan there was plenty of space on the barge and the captain knew nothing about this special deal Mazaar had brokered. The captain was so pissed off, he literally pissed off - out the harbour! Left us to unload the bikes plus four 4x4's. No ramps available and we were left to our own devices. Took four hours in the blazing sun. 48 degrees! I cursed this bastard Mazaar. I felt like going back to Aswan to give him a solid snot klap.

Here are the details of Mohammed Idries, manager of Nile River Navigation in Aswan. Rather deal with him. His number is 0106845201.

Other good folk I dealt with were Hanan the owner of the Philae Hotel in Aswan. She will help you with anything and will warn you if you are going to be ripped off. She was very handy in dealing with Kamel, Mazaar's partner on the Egyptian side.

In Cairo, get hold of Khaled Abd Rabow, taxi driver who is an interpreter . Will also give you solid advice about how to avoid the con artists. We used him extensively in Cairo. His mobile number is 0127448749.

While I am on the subject, here are some other folk you may need to use. Waguih Guindy organised our bikes to be shipped back. His number is +2026205135.

In Gondor in Ethiopia we met Effrem Bayuh, first class chap and manager of the Lodge Fasil. Very helpful and honest chap. His number is +251911017991.

Attachments

• mazaar conman.JPG
    mazaar conman.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 514