ESA Shock Repair. Can you believe it.???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.T

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
For those not fully up to speed with this technology let me give a light explanation.
This is a system of suspension fitted to certain of the BMW motor bikes.
This enabls multiple adjustments to be done while stationary and on the move to the suspension
using electronics to adjust the shock settings from comfort to sport and several load & hight settings.

Enough of that. Suprise was on the cards when I dicovered during a service that he front shock was leaking oil & gas.
New single front shock priced at +/- 20K Nice but hurting the pocket.
Second choice was refurbish.
Took bike to Jughead and he duly stripped it out and, removed the spring and took it to Chris Shinn.
Did I not tell you we have great Guys here in Port Elizabeth than can work wonders.
Chris duly discovered that a stone had penetrated past the spring and clipped the shaft.
This duly caused the mark on the shaft and the destruction of the seal.

Long story short is that the shock can be dissassembled, shaft was repaired to new and the seal can be ordered for a new fitting.
New oil, gas to 10 Bar and installed back in position by Jughead.
Nice job done by both service proviers and all ends well that could have been a dissater on the pocket.
A cost of +/- ZAR 3,500.00 and collected. Am happy with the excellent service we have here in Poert Elizabeth.
Thank you once again for the abilty of riding this Sunday with cash still in the pocket.

No pics as we all know what a shock looks like. This one has some wires attached to makeit a ESA.  8)