Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Hell - no bikes allowed...  (Read 11727 times)

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
The Hell - no bikes allowed...
« on: June 06, 2007, 09:39:19 am »
This is just a heads up for riders planning to visit the Hell.

Bikes and Quads are not allowed anymore.  :(  Quads will never ever be allowed again. Bikes need prior permission.

Please call 023 5411 259 to arrange permission (which might or might not be given) or you will be turned around at the entrance regardless of weather conditions or time of day.

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 09:40:48 am »
WTF??????? :evil:
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 10:02:59 am »
Trailrider is there a sign that says: "Private property" on that road.

As far as i know that is a public road and my bike is fully roadworthy and is licenced no motherf*cker is gonna tell me i can't ride there.

Only that last part where the restuarant is, is private property. They can stick there food upwards. I'll take my own.

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 10:10:27 am »
Whos gonna catch me the hell police.  :lol:

Offline Hermanator

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Wine brings out the best in me!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 10:14:42 am »
This is shite news!

I've been gearing myself up for a ride taking along all my noobie buddies.

Can someone please tell me what the distance is from Cape Town. I think, if I;m not mistaken is that we ride the Swartberg Pass and then head down into The Hell from there.

So, is this possible as a day ride, leaving early and returning late or is it absolutely, a weekender and overnight. If an overnight, what facilities exist and where - as my GPS does not list a place called HELL!

Thanks, and hope I've not hijacked the tread.

Cheers

Lawrence

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 10:22:52 am »
Its called Gamkas kloof.

No you won't make it from Cape Town into hell and back.

You will have to sleep over in Oudtshoorn.

There is no facilities in hell. Only camping spots and bathrooms.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 10:28:40 am »
The Hell/Gamkas is part of the Swartberg Nature Reserve.

Not a public road then is it? :?
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 10:38:13 am »
Quote from: "JourneyMan"
The Hell/Gamkas is part of the Swartberg Nature Reserve.

Not a public road then is it? :?

Nope i'm sure its a public road. No signs or fences.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 10:42:57 am »
If it's a proclaimed nature reserve/area, I think other rules are applicable regarding the roads.

Shooting in the dark here. :wink:
He who angers you, controls you.

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 10:46:33 am »
Quote from: "Captain Slow"
Its called Gamkas kloof.

No you won't make it from Cape Town into hell and back.

You will have to sleep over in Oudtshoorn.

There is no facilities in hell. Only camping spots and bathrooms.

There are dorm type rooms available ,will need to check for availability though.

real sad if no bikes allowed in there though , one of the highlights of my ds riding was a ride to hell an back
Swim.Bike.Run.Eat.Sleep

GS-holic

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 10:55:17 am »
my 2c - Even if it is a public road, it is a nature reserve and therefore according to the "laws" of the governing body -(DEAT) no mbikes are allowed to enter such areas.  It might be due to the Hell becomming a biker paradise that DEAT resolved to impose the restriction - I'm afraid there is not much we can do.

CPT it is the same as trying to get past the access control at the PE Light House @ Cape Receive (just past Pine Lodge) - there is no way in hell  :lol: they will let any mbikes through.

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 11:32:00 am »
OK. I spoke to Loraine from Cape Nature. She says it's a Heritage site and as such they don't want quads and bikes there. If it's just a "Scooter" which isn't going to "jaag" and make a lot of noise and cause damage they might consider giving permission once off. She's friendly and helpfull BUT the final say lies with a certain Erika Swanepoel who has to be contacted at 044 203 6325. I have been trying to get in contact with her for our trip on the 16th. No luck yet as there is no answer.

Will keep you posted.

The shop is on private property but you have to cross Cape Nature to get to it, so at this stage all bikes are turned around at the first Cape Nature building as you enter Gamkaskloof.

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 11:43:45 am »
Quote from: "Trailrider"
OK. I spoke to Loraine from Cape Nature. She says it's a Heritage site and as such they don't want quads and bikes there. If it's just a "Scooter" which isn't going to "jaag" and make a lot of noise and cause damage they might consider giving permission once off. She's friendly and helpfull BUT the final say lies with a certain Erika Swanepoel who has to be contacted at 044 203 6325. I have been trying to get in contact with her for our trip on the 16th. No luck yet as there is no answer.

Will keep you posted.

The shop is on private property but you have to cross Cape Nature to get to it, so at this stage all bikes are turned around at the first Cape Nature building as you enter Gamkaskloof.

Is the Cape Nature building the one as you come down the steep long hill. Thats the only building i saw. If you have to turn around at that spot you might as well do because there is nothing much further in except the restuarant whos gonna loose money now. :lol:  :lol:

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 11:47:10 am »
Quote from: "GS-holic"
my 2c - Even if it is a public road, it is a nature reserve and therefore according to the "laws" of the governing body -(DEAT) no mbikes are allowed to enter such areas.  It might be due to the Hell becomming a biker paradise that DEAT resolved to impose the restriction - I'm afraid there is not much we can do.

CPT it is the same as trying to get past the access control at the PE Light House @ Cape Receive (just past Pine Lodge) - there is no way in hell  :lol: they will let any mbikes through.

GS-Holic my friend.  :lol:  :lol:

They only stop BMWs. I've been at the PE lighouse several times, with my Suzuki GSXR and my KLR. We once went in there as a group of three bikes. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Seriaasss

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 11:58:50 am »

Will keep you posted.

Is the Cape Nature building the one as you come down the steep long hill. Thats the only building i saw. If you have to turn around at that spot you might as well do because there is nothing much further in except the restuarant whos gonna loose money now. :lol:  :lol:

That's the one. Agreed that by then you have done basically the whole route, but if it's late and you're not allowed in, well, you don't want to ride out again if it's raining or dark.

Usually the idea is to overnight there.

GS-holic

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 12:26:18 pm »

They only stop BMWs. I've been at the PE lighouse several times, with my Suzuki GSXR and my KLR. We once went in there as a group of three bikes. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Seriaasss

MMMm - I don't do bribes - been there twice on a Sunday morning and the guy at the boom gate flatly refused - it might be that he knows the BM is purpose made for sand riding and that I'm most likely to ride the dunes up to Willows - something that the KLR and GSX bikes will not attempt.  :wink:   :lol:

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 12:40:14 pm »

MMMm - I don't do bribes - been there twice on a Sunday morning and the guy at the boom gate flatly refused - it might be that he knows the BM is purpose made for sand riding and that I'm most likely to ride the dunes up to Willows - something that the KLR and GSX bikes will not attempt.  :wink:   :lol:

Or maybe he knows a GS shot with Anakees will for sure get stuck in the sand and he will have to help you push. :wink:  :lol:

Offline Clockwork Orange

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007, 01:48:11 pm »
Growing up in PE my best mates dad was the light house keeper there. He had an old XL 125 and I had a Suzuki RV90. We had free-roam of the area and there were plenty paths to play on. I spent many a weekend staying with him. As you approach the lighthouse there are 2 buildings to the right of it. The building furthest to the right was their house......Good times
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2007, 02:30:01 pm »
OK. I spoke to Erika Swanepoel at Cape Nature. These are the rules:

1. No Quad bikes ever ever again - ever.
2. No MX or noisy bikes. Even if you did get permission - if you show up with one of these you will be turned away.
3. No bikes of ANY kind during long weekends or holidays.

If you want to go with a silent street legal motorbike, out of season (& out of long weekends / holidays) you can apply for permission from Erika Swanepoel at eswanepoel@capenature.co.za

Your e-mail must include the number of bikes involved and the name of the person taking responsibility for the group as a whole.

There you have it. Join us on the trip of the 16th. You never know when they ban bikes totally...

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Bike: Suzuki Djebel 250XC
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2007, 02:38:34 pm »

2. No MX or noisy bikes. Even if you did get permission - if you show up with one of these you will be turned away.

Question:  How are they going to make that kind of decision?  Decibel measuring device?  A checklist of all motorcycles made with a rating scale to indicate how 'noisy' they are?  Exactly what is their definition of "this pipe is to loud?''  Any info of the maximum decibels allowed?
If they make such a rule they should, no must, be able to give the standard against which it is being applied.  I see lots of legal implications if they try and to enforce such a rule without a set, and acceptable, standard.  They should also then be able to enforce such a standard fairly and accurately - not purely on the judgment of an official's hearing tolerance level.