Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Hell - no bikes allowed...  (Read 11730 times)

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
Re: The Hell - no bikes allowed...
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2009, 09:59:26 am »
On my recent trip I got permits but were not asked for it at the gate. I think if an unsuspecting person rides up they will make the call, BUT if you know about it it is better for the biker fraternity as a whole if we follow the rules.

There are signs put up - one as you enter the "Hell road" at the turn-off from Swartberg Pass (this one burned down recently and will be replaced) and another just as you enter "Die Hel".

Tweety - why wouldn't you do it again? Just curious.

Offline XRV-Boy

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • "Die Swart Gevaar"
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2009, 11:02:22 am »
I was there in January and they had no problem with our bikes its if you have a small cc like 450 down that you are not alowed D/S bikes are fine but proper MX bikes are not allowed :thumleft:
Look matey, I know a dead parrot when I see one, and Im looking at one right now!

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2009, 11:14:23 am »
I was there in January and they had no problem with our bikes its if you have a small cc like 450 down that you are not alowed D/S bikes are fine but proper MX bikes are not allowed :thumleft:

Haha! Nonsens man. Why would they discriminate against engine size? :D The bike needs to be road legal only.

I ride in several Nature reserves (with permits) and if anything some of those areas prefer the 125 trail bikes as they don't spin and make a racket. A guy on a NXR125 generally isn't after adrenalin anyway - then he would have had an enduro bike.

The biggest no-no is a loud exhaust. That pisses of the Cape Nature guys, horsemen, hikers and other visitors in general.

GreenMamba1974

« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2009, 12:01:18 pm »

Haha! Nonsens man. Why would they discriminate against engine size? :D The bike needs to be road legal only.

I ride in several Nature reserves (with permits) and if anything some of those areas prefer the 125 trail bikes as they don't spin and make a racket. A guy on a NXR125 generally isn't after adrenalin anyway - then he would have had an enduro bike.

The biggest no-no is a loud exhaust. That pisses of the Cape Nature guys, horsemen, hikers and other visitors in general.

loud zorsts may be fun, but not really cool on a d/s bike.  we shouldn't be disturbing the peace, otherwise more and more places are going to ban bikes.

Offline Carnivore

• Longer lasting theraphy.. do longer distance travelling..
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Port Elizabeth Old(er) Guy
« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2009, 01:02:39 pm »
I enquired about the rates at Boplaas - the very absolute end of the valley - and attched some pictures of our previous ride there. I got a most enthusiastic and welcoming response, fully supportive of our mode of transport.

So, comical sense must prevail... plan ahead, phone ahead, email ahead as requested to Ms Swanepoel and enjoy.

I think the signs really say, "No idiots allowed" .. take your cue.

BTW, Jock's red pony had a VanDerLinde pipe on it which is loud... but he rides like a gentleman. Go figure.. ;D So, when we encountered two khaki-and-green officials as we arrived at Meester's Huis, they were warm and freindly and there was just no problem at all.
Old, grey, crafty...

You can do anything if you have enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is the yeast that makes your hopes rise to the stars. Enthusiasm is the sparkle in your eyes, the swing in your gait, the grip of your hand, the irresistible surge of will and energy to execute your ideas. Enthusiasts are fighters. They have fortitude. They have staying qualities. Enthusiasm is at the bottom of all progress. With it, there is accomplishment. Without it, there are only alibis.
Henry Ford

Offline SteveT

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • Divine Metal Works
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2009, 11:01:22 am »
Was also there in December - stayed at The Meestershuis next to the old school - what a lekker spot - with reference to the permission issue  - we asked and it was granted with absolutely no hesitation.

The cape nature chalets are really nice and clean. We asked for wood to be placed in the chalet - it was. Their is ice in the freezer - my advice would be to immediately put more in on arrival - in that way you wont need to buy any. Only downer on the whole trip was the prices at the little shop down the bottom they have beers etc etc but very very expensive. oh yes and having to leave the next day as well was a bummer as well.
Love to Ride

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2009, 11:11:52 am »

with reference to the permission issue  - we asked and it was granted with absolutely no hesitation.

My experience also.

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2010, 08:41:29 pm »
Must we still make prior arrangements?

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2010, 10:29:15 pm »
Must we still make prior arrangements?
From what I gather yes... I think it is all about keeping the hooligan type that decides on the spur of the moment under the influence of a few dubbel brannas to go "Check out Die Hell".

Offline Robski

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Buy the ticket, Take the ride.
« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2010, 10:52:45 pm »
Glad the quads and MX bikes are not allowed there anymore really, as it is a nature reserve, and they are buggering it up! (plenty places for mx bikes to go really!)

Haven't been there yet, and really looking forward to it!
Kawasaki KX60 (1997). Yamaha TW200 (1998). Honda XR 200 (1988). Yamaha YZ80 (1998). Yamaha YZ125 (2000). Kawasaki KX250 (2006). 5 Vespa's  ('63 - '69) . Aermacchi / Harley Davidson Brezza 125 (1967). Honda XRV750 Africa Twin (1999). KTM 990 ADV. R (2010). All gone. Now have.. Vespa 125 Super '67.  KTM 690 (Oryx RS kit to come)

Offline Doggone

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Fairlands, Johannesburg
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2010, 08:41:06 am »
In December when I rode that route there were some mx bikes. No one complained and no one stopped anyone at all. the whole "prior arrangement" thing seems to be a misnomer , or else I am just lucky?
"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the Courage to Continue that Counts"  Winston Churchill
Bike History: 1976 Yamaha Chappy-50cc; 1978 Yamaha RD50; 1979 Suzuki TS125; 1980 Suzuki GS 400; 27 years of bikelessness ; 2007 BMW R1200GS - 125 000 km's , 2017 BMW R1200GSA LC (Lowered)😁 WOW!

Offline Carnivore

« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2010, 05:23:58 pm »
It's still a good move to do "the right thing" and make plans. How else does one pay? There is no cash register at the gate. So booking a spot for a weekend would seem to be a wise move.
Old, grey, crafty...

You can do anything if you have enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is the yeast that makes your hopes rise to the stars. Enthusiasm is the sparkle in your eyes, the swing in your gait, the grip of your hand, the irresistible surge of will and energy to execute your ideas. Enthusiasts are fighters. They have fortitude. They have staying qualities. Enthusiasm is at the bottom of all progress. With it, there is accomplishment. Without it, there are only alibis.
Henry Ford

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2010, 07:34:37 pm »
Last time i wanted to do the hel i went to the Nature office in Oudtshoorn and they said they did not even know about the prior arrangement story. When i got to the gate in the hel they stopped me. I explained my story and they let me through. I think its BS!

Offline chicco

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Revolution or death........
« Reply #113 on: March 23, 2010, 08:17:45 pm »
Erika Swanepoel was replaced...Princess Matambulu is now in charge.... O0 only bikes with acronyms as names are now allowed, eg BMW KTM, all other makes with difficult Japanese names are not allowed.....
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 990, HONDA CRF 230, KTM 990S

Offline Mother

• ...anything with an engine an 2wheels
« Reply #114 on: March 23, 2010, 08:35:32 pm »
we where 3 bikes there in this dec past and there where more bikers that arrived .....no prior anything.....so bikes not allowed is bs
i was surprised to see this post although i see its old
mother ....only half a word ;-)

Offline Mother

• ...anything with an engine an 2wheels
« Reply #115 on: March 23, 2010, 08:37:08 pm »
we where 3 bikes there in this dec past and there where more bikers that arrived .....no prior anything.....so bikes not allowed is bs
i was surprised to see this post although i see its old

we where on licensed road going bikes....
mother ....only half a word ;-)

Offline Carnivore

« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2010, 09:26:31 pm »
Ok ok ok.... so some say yes and some say no... What does the Cape Nature website say you must do? I am too moeg to look, so someone else can do the donkey work and post back here...  :dousing:

FACT:

We are struggling to keep our noses clean. So, Princess or Erica, whomever it may be, I will make arrangements for a cottage, or a campsite or whatever, just to remain friendly and approachable and all the good things that hopefully make me nicer to deal with than some twit who beats the place up on a one-wheeled 2 stroke.

BTW, how does one pay for an overnight or two, if you do not phone, or email, a booking?

ITS A NATURE RESERVE!!!!!!!!!! People go there to ESCAPE from all the city shhht... So, play the game better than anybody else, and you will reap the rewards.

Prior arrangement was NOT bullsht... it's the way it was. If it has changed, OK, well and good. But it WAS THE WAY... OK?

So, ease up on the sense of entitlement...  :thumleft: Arriving there in a klomp manne as daytrippers is going to annoy the people in charge. Never mind what you think is your right or not..... just keep it nice and clean and simple... play the game.... forget the macho..

It may be possible to arrive at the gate, seeking to patronise Annetjie Mosterts camp. After all, that is private enterprise. But you still have to access the Reserve in order to get there, and she probably is under obligation to ensure orderly conduct from her visitors, so whichever way you look at it, it makes sense to make a call, especially for an overnighter.

The whole issue is always about rowdy bikers, and in the last few years, about quads. The main road through Gamkaskloof is NOT SUPPOSED TO BE USED AS A DRAG STRIP... it is hallowed territory. So, when just one ass does the brrrppppppp thang, it's curtains for all concerned, and years of goodwill are blown away. (Not that there is much goodwill anymore.)

Regarding the BMW KTM thing.... I suppose it was tongue-in-cheek?  ??? Guess so...  :thumleft:

If you were a ranger in green, and you were to cast your eyes on a bright yellow DRZ400, or a silver 1200GSA, one parked at Meestershuis, and the other at Mosterts Cottage.... which would you immediately suspect of hooliganism? Never mind whether he would be right or wrong... The RANGER HAS THE POWER... you need him, he does not need you. Perception is everything, when you are faced with an uphill battle.

Don't piss them off!!
Old, grey, crafty...

Henry Ford

Offline 2 Stroke Dan

• Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • bekyk die wereld deur n opgewasemde bril.
« Reply #117 on: March 23, 2010, 09:50:01 pm »
I have been going there for years, and as a day-tripper. Camp overnight and pay the warden at the end of the valley the next morning.
It is not a sense of entitlement, but a sense of loss. Everything is becoming so organised, run by big unwieldy organisations with staff so
intelligent that they will assume that a 120kg DRZ will make more damage than a 220kg behemoth, scrabbling for grip out of the Kloof.
As ek jy was sou ek nie so gelyk het nie.

Offline Berm_Rooster

• is childish hooligan, not a
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Mossel Bay every other 6 weeks
« Reply #118 on: March 23, 2010, 09:54:56 pm »
Carnivore, that's about the most sense I heard/read all day!

If we all (WDs) promote credibility of bikers, it might promt the green force to oversee the odd ninkumpoop's transgression - keeping Hel (Bav and other likewise places) open for longer (ever?)!

+100

Offline mrhyde

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #119 on: March 23, 2010, 10:14:01 pm »
Three of us just went there in December 2008 (Whilst holidaying in Hartenbos) 2 x1200GS's, & 1 x 1200GSA.

Did not even know about this issue of no bikes. We had no problem anywhere. Arrival at the enterance, which is at the bottom of the 500m in 3.9km pass, was a matter of signing the book. To anyone going there. This enterance "gate" is about 45km from the Prince Albert road, and roughly 1hr 50min away.

Enjoyed a cooolie at the restuarant, then went right to the very end (Gate proclaiming Private road) and turned around a little tree, then back to the museum which used to be the school in the "hey-days of the kloof".   Again an interresting read of the history, then ride out to Prince Albert. 

For an indication of travel time. The following:
07:00 Departed Hartenbos. Had quick Breakfast in Oudtshoorn - Wimpy. Up the Swartberg Pass. Turn off to Die Hell. Arrived in "Die hel". Stopped twice en-route in, to take photo's, then pushed on.  Coolie at the restuarant. Drove to the very end & came back to the museum. 30min there-cool off under the shade of the tree. (Check out the temperature on the thermometer nailed to the tree trunk. 28Deg C that day 12:30 - Lekker Cool Normally its above 35 they say!!!!! )

Ride out of Die Hell (Never ending road !!) eventually arived at the Prince Albert road, then down the other pass into Prince Albert for a "late" lunch. Arrived PA at 15:00. Had a great lunch at the hotel, departed for Oudtshorn again via Meiringspoort, and back to Hartenbos. Arrived Hartenbos 18:00.  Thinking back, we did NOT waste any time anywhere, other than a couple of stops for photo's etc.

Statement 1
Anyone  thinking they can quickly do "Die Hell", is very "mistaken". You literally have to set aside a whole day of travelling in and out of the place.

Statement 2
Someone, would have to do some serious convincing, if they want to get me to go back there again!!!!!  Done it, Very interresting, but NOT AGAIN !!!

I think, if a couple of "Windgat" laaities arrive at the enterance,  on those "Orange thingies", they may be refused enterance, but for the main, I think the personnel at the gate will make a valued judgement of the vistors, let you in or not. 

This issue, of not allowing bikers in there, is symtomatic of how the quad and unruley enduro guys have given the biking community a bad name. Again a few who spoil it for the rest. Absolutely NO consideration for others!

Thats my say
Done it , NOT "sommer" again

Pretty harsh blaming the enduro guys. We've established the reason for most of this, is caused by the quads.  Theres nothing wrong with agricultural quads either.  Might just aswell been oom sakkie and his 4 inch body
lifted Wrangler jeep on 35s doing doughnuts after 1 windhoek light, also unlikely since his name is oom sakkie. But anyways.