Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Hell - no bikes allowed...  (Read 12602 times)

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
Re: The Hell - no bikes allowed...
« Reply #120 on: March 24, 2010, 08:44:36 am »
Its a public road therefore no non road legal cycles allowed..... thats commen sense..

Offline mrhyde

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #121 on: March 24, 2010, 09:05:10 am »
there are plenty of enduro bikes that are road legal. the drz is one of them.

Offline Tagsy

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Piss poor planning, Piss Poor Performance
« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2010, 09:42:09 am »
My2c Worth

I agree with Captain Slow, I,ve ridden to Die Hell numerous occasions , I was Polite Quite and took note of the fact that it s a reserve area.
If bikers go in tossing around then everyone loses...... Macho only works when in a pub fight . not when I think as someone mentioned a privelege rather than a right to go somewhere.

On the same vain, Lesotho , been a few times rode quitely and slowly whenever near a village or people both on bikes and 4x4's No stones no agro........ it boils down to RESPECT for the people in the area and what the areas used for/ is
"life's too short, deaths' too permanant"
That's why I have a KTM

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #123 on: March 24, 2010, 11:34:51 am »
there are plenty of enduro bikes that are road legal. the drz is one of them.

If you take a DRZ you have nothing to worry about.

Offline Tweets

• Shop Mods
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Centurion
« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2010, 03:34:44 pm »
Nice one Chicco. When we went there, it was with 3 x Beemers, and there were other Katoom riders on their way out. We were welcomed upon arrival! Me also thinks any Jap brand would be interrogated. :biggrin: :biggrin:
Borrow money from pessimists - they dont expect it back
Current bikes : 1200GS, 800GS, 400XT

Offline fat b

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • BMW R 1150 GS ADVENTURE
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2010, 10:45:57 am »
My2c Worth

I agree with Captain Slow, I,ve ridden to Die Hell numerous occasions , I was Polite Quite and took note of the fact that it s a reserve area.
If bikers go in tossing around then everyone loses...... Macho only works when in a pub fight . not when I think as someone mentioned a privelege rather than a right to go somewhere.

On the same vain, Lesotho , been a few times rode quitely and slowly whenever near a village or people both on bikes and 4x4's No stones no agro........ it boils down to RESPECT for the people in the area and what the areas used for/ is
MMMMM..... not quite !!! I seem to remember our last trip Tagsy !! It was not quiet or respectable !!! Our trip was spoiled by a guy who we did not know very well and ended up doing all sorts of stupid things ! He is lucky he was not moerd !!! It goes to show how one or two rotten apples can spoil it for everyone !!!

THE CHALLENGE MAY NOT BE EASY , BUT IT'S NOT IMPOSSIBLE.
SO MANY PLACES, SO LITTLE TIME !

MOSSEL BAY

Offline Smidty

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2010, 12:53:06 pm »
"MMMMM..... not quite !!! I seem to remember our last trip Tagsy !! It was not quiet or respectable !!! Our trip was spoiled by a guy who we did not know very well and ended up doing all sorts of stupid things ! He is lucky he was not moerd !!! It goes to show how one or two rotten apples can spoil it for everyone !!!"

Vertel bietjie meer?  :pot:
All things are difficult before they are easy

Offline fat b

• Race Dog
« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2010, 07:26:12 am »
What happens on a ride stays on a ride !  >:D

MOSSEL BAY

Offline Tagsy

• Pack Dog
  • Piss poor planning, Piss Poor Performance
« Reply #128 on: April 12, 2010, 08:14:19 am »
Was in Die Hell last week no problems at all very nice. Saw a truck with a tractor on the back go down ther............... round of applause given to the driver at the bottom.....BALLS
"life's too short, deaths' too permanant"
That's why I have a KTM

Offline fat b

• Race Dog
« Reply #129 on: April 12, 2010, 08:22:59 am »
Hey bru !!! Happy you back safely !!! Next time you stay over at my place you can sleep in the garage !!! I have heard of legendary snorers , but you take the cake !!!!! LOL  :imaposer:

MOSSEL BAY

Offline lovelalotless

« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2010, 07:39:00 pm »
Ek het geen aandeel in die Moto ding nie, maar ek wonder maar net.....

http://www.motoadventuresa.com/events/details/7-Tankwa/Die%20Hel

Ek het al die nommer gebel maar is toegang geweier, maar hulle kan 'n hele groep bikes toelaat oor 'n naweek nogal  :-\

Offline Yami Super 10

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • 1200 Super 10
« Reply #131 on: April 13, 2010, 08:05:17 pm »

Ek het al die nommer gebel maar is toegang geweier, maar hulle kan 'n hele groep bikes toelaat oor 'n naweek nogal  :-\

Moto Avontuur (Maton V Zyl) het n hele paar contacts. Baie van die plekke laat nie bikes toe nie, maar as daai groep gaan is daar geen probleem nie.
Dit word goed gereel.

Ek sal kyk of ek "naam nou vergeet" se nommer het onder in die Hell.
Ek het laas jaar met hom gereel om n klompie quads af te vat, geen probleem gewees nie.
Wil net nie he jy moet onder in die hell, rond jaag nie. Ek stem volkome saam daarmee :thumleft:
Geduld
Is n stadige manier om jou moer te strip!
Bikes: 2010 & 2019 ST1200
          2014 660XT

Offline lovelalotless

« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2010, 08:09:54 pm »

Ek het al die nommer gebel maar is toegang geweier, maar hulle kan 'n hele groep bikes toelaat oor 'n naweek nogal  :-\

Moto Avontuur (Maton V Zyl) het n hele paar contacts. Baie van die plekke laat nie bikes toe nie, maar as daai groep gaan is daar geen probleem nie.
Dit word goed gereel.

Ek sal kyk of ek "naam nou vergeet" se nommer het onder in die Hell.
Ek het laas jaar met hom gereel om n klompie quads af te vat, geen probleem gewees nie.
Wil net nie he jy moet onder in die hell, rond jaag nie. Ek stem volkome saam daarmee :thumleft:

Ek verstaan die Parkeraad se redenasie. Trailrider het 'n telefoonnommer iewers gepos
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 05:57:06 am by lovelalotless »

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #133 on: October 04, 2010, 06:20:47 pm »
[quote="bobnob
i'm not talking aggravate them - i'm say that if we can show them how big the bike market is they might think twice about the ban - with the large amount of business they will be losing

i'm saying people should plan trips and request bike access

if a thousand people plan a trip over a year period they might think to reconsider...

I hate it when money becomes more important than the enviroment.
A long term solution should be found, and to hell with whether money
will be lost or not. Take a look at the new stadium they are builing in
Cape Town.....they don't give a shit about what it looks like, but what
it will earn in the short term.

Look at the damage 4x4s have caused to the enviroment on Blouberg Hill? It will make a ban necessary, and will take years to recover.

You have to start somewhere, and if research finds that quads are mainly to blame, then ban them, and make it clear, that should the problems continue with other bikes and 4x4s, then I agree that they too should be banned.
[/quote]

On Blouberg hill the tracks were originally started by the MX bikes, widened by the quads and eventually destroyed by the 4 x 4 guys. In my opinion all three groups had there part to play. I spent many happy hours riding my MX bike on Blouberg hill and yes we did our bit to damage it. 
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline Sprocketbek

« Reply #134 on: October 04, 2010, 11:39:33 pm »
Agreed that Blouberg hill is an example of what (extreme) over-use can do to the environment.

But there was a reason........people became gat-vol of being told "no you can't ride here" just to see bulldozers rip up the earth and development take place. The way expansion towards the hill has taken place it seemed immenent that the rich & famous will build their mansions there. Let's face it, the view from there is awesome. Some Sundays you had to elbow a spot open for a skottelbraai.

At that stage I only owned a Beach Buggy and stuck to the roads & tracks but soon there were more & more tracks on the steep slopes to test the brannas & testosterone levels. Not long before erosion started taking place......

Then a big war erupted between environmentalists and the users. The authorities had to step in to diffuse the matter, and they promised it will not be developed.

The rehabilitation has to a largel extent been the work of the 4 X 4 community, AFAIK.
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv
"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots." - Umberto Eco, 2012

Offline Tweets

• Shop Mods
  • Race Dog
  • Centurion
« Reply #135 on: October 05, 2010, 07:51:11 am »
BACK to the subject of THE HELL. We were there two weeks ago (Weekend of the Springbok Rally) There is no longer even a warden at the "gate" after you drop down that incredile pass into THE HELL proper. There was even a youngster with a quad (Behaving himself !!) So it looks like its open to all. There is even a sign at the closed-up littel shack where the Nature Conservation "Wag" used to get you to sign a visitores book, that states there is a rec eption further on. Well, there was nothing anywhere "further on"(sorry I did not take a pic fo that sign)

I just hope the bikers continue being good mannered, and dont bugger up the place for future riders. I would love to take my children there in 2 years time when they can legally ride the roads with me.
Borrow money from pessimists - they dont expect it back
Current bikes : 1200GS, 800GS, 400XT

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #136 on: October 05, 2010, 08:15:27 am »

There is even a sign at the closed-up littel shack where the Nature Conservation "Wag" used to get you to sign a visitores book, that states there is a rec eption further on. Well, there was nothing anywhere "further on"(sorry I did not take a pic fo that sign)

It's at the info centre right at the end, before the gate leading into the private farm.

I just hope the bikers continue being good mannered, and dont bugger up the place for future riders. I would love to take my children there in 2 years time when they can legally ride the roads with me.

+100000

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2010, 09:34:29 am »
Agreed that Blouberg hill is an example of what (extreme) over-use can do to the environment.

But there was a reason........people became gat-vol of being told "no you can't ride here" just to see bulldozers rip up the earth and development take place. The way expansion towards the hill has taken place it seemed immenent that the rich & famous will build their mansions there. Let's face it, the view from there is awesome. Some Sundays you had to elbow a spot open for a skottelbraai.

At that stage I only owned a Beach Buggy and stuck to the roads & tracks but soon there were more & more tracks on the steep slopes to test the brannas & testosterone levels. Not long before erosion started taking place......

Then a big war erupted between environmentalists and the users. The authorities had to step in to diffuse the matter, and they promised it will not be developed.

The rehabilitation has to a largel extent been the work of the 4 X 4 community, AFAIK.

We used to find a lot of 4x4 guys going up the hill with cooler boxes full of booze, drinking the booze and then making kak and smashing their beer bottles everywhere.

I agree; it pisses me off when we get banned from riding in a certain area, due to enviromental issues, and then they tear it up a few months later for housing.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 09:50:49 am by Rough Rider »
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2010, 09:49:23 am »
While riding through there i only noticed one old bird who's face turned sour...although prune-like already....seeing us puttering past on the bikes. ALL OTHER cottage renters, hikers, cyclists campers & visitors waved & said hi :thumleft:
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline Pote

« Reply #139 on: October 05, 2010, 10:07:32 am »
While riding through there i only noticed one old bird who's face turned sour...although prune-like already....seeing us puttering past on the bikes. ALL OTHER cottage renters, hikers, cyclists campers & visitors waved & said hi :thumleft:
Well your zipper was probably open the whole time!!