Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Hell - no bikes allowed...  (Read 11793 times)

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
Re: The Hell - no bikes allowed...
« Reply #160 on: December 18, 2010, 11:09:37 am »
Where should we split this tread... it is so off topic... :mwink:

You right Rob...thought i was defending the right to noise on the Loud Pipe thread...lol
'Routine is the thief of time'

Online Carnivore

• Longer lasting theraphy.. do longer distance travelling..
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Port Elizabeth Old(er) Guy
« Reply #161 on: December 18, 2010, 11:43:31 am »
The two subjects are inextricably mixed... bgecause loud pipes are probably the culprit for many bannings... but only at the hand of a dweet..

I'll bet that I could ride right up to a ranger's office with my VDL burbling away, and not offend him. It's the way you come across, with the helmet-off greetings thing as well as how you pull away once you have your permit, and whether the exhaust causes an avalanche or rockslide as you hit the road again...

Bottom line is that no one, not even your buddies, are/is impressed by a loud pipe... it just sounds nice. So, treat it gently, and it won't bite back.

And yes, if I could afford it, I wouyld put a standard system on the GS650, but I do not have the tom, and that's how I got the bike. So it stays.

But with respect to the topic of this thread... how about just going there to prove the issue one way or the other...?

And another thing, slightly off topic, but still in the valley... which of the old historical houses has a swimming hole at the back? February in that valley...... eish!!  :o
Old, grey, crafty...

You can do anything if you have enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is the yeast that makes your hopes rise to the stars. Enthusiasm is the sparkle in your eyes, the swing in your gait, the grip of your hand, the irresistible surge of will and energy to execute your ideas. Enthusiasts are fighters. They have fortitude. They have staying qualities. Enthusiasm is at the bottom of all progress. With it, there is accomplishment. Without it, there are only alibis.
Henry Ford

Offline Off-Road-Adventures

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • No more racing for me.....Time to enjoy the view
    • HAMBURG BACKPACKERS
« Reply #162 on: December 18, 2010, 12:05:43 pm »
Well said guys............... But MAN!!! It should be illegal to silence a Ducati  ;) That sound has no equal.

De Hel is such a great place, I would change a loud pipe to a quiet pipe just to go there.  :) We were down in the valley after spending the night down there, at the restuarant when some bikes came down. We heard them loooooooong before we saw them  :o Everything stopped and all eyes were on the guys. A BM with standard pipes, and two KTMs with Leos. All the non bikers down there looked on with a mixture of annoyance, head shaking and apprehension. The arrival of the bikes took about 20 mins from when we heard them in that silent valley till when they got off the bikes and stopped the engines. Then the BM GSA went off on it's own up the road again to take some photos, it was a non-event.

On the bike, with all that sound around you, it's difficult to understand how much those pipes disturb the peace when you have been in a place like De Hel. And I love the sound of a bike  ;D     

Just my humble five bucks worth  :o
2015 KLR650, 1984 BMW R80RT, 1981 XT500,2007  Honda CRF230,2009  KDX200

Offline Tweets

• Shop Mods
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Centurion
« Reply #163 on: December 20, 2010, 11:41:02 am »
Crank it on Guys.
This debate will contine for ever. In the FINAL annalyses (FDdK) each have a valid poimt, but the Nut that is holding the handle bars, just has to have consideration for others and the surrounds. This is where the NUT, plays a critical part.  You can have a NUT with a silent standard bike tearing up the place, and be a serious culprit every one want to moer.  Then you get a a NUT who is considerate, with  Noisey pipes (KTM with bueat pipes) , just idle(Or lets say "Gurgle" ) through the place, and no one will even bat an eye. Again it totally depends on the NUT that hold the handle Bars. ;D
CONSIDERATION, CONSIDERATION, CONSIDERATION, Finish & Klaar. :biggrin:
Borrow money from pessimists - they dont expect it back
Current bikes : 1200GS, 800GS, 400XT

Offline Off-Road-Adventures

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • No more racing for me.....Time to enjoy the view
    • HAMBURG BACKPACKERS
« Reply #164 on: December 21, 2010, 10:13:53 am »
Well said boet!!
2015 KLR650, 1984 BMW R80RT, 1981 XT500,2007  Honda CRF230,2009  KDX200