Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Hell - no bikes allowed...  (Read 11785 times)

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
Re: The Hell - no bikes allowed...
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2007, 04:16:44 pm »
After we got our permits we also were welcomed in Gamkaskloof and the staff were very friendly.

Offline Oom Pad

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • BM's is ook dors
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2007, 04:48:03 pm »
A friend of mine owns the farm at the end of Gamkaskloof and they are so happy with the ban on Quads.Says they had endless trouble with them.
When everything is coming your way,you're in the wrong lane.
Now also with XT 500

Offline MuttsNutts

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • 1200 Bayerische Motoren Werke Gelende Strasse Adve
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2007, 03:45:41 pm »
Not to be nasty but I support a ban on Quads, Except tracks etc laid out for them, had to many incidents up on the farm in the eastern cape of late on public roads

Marlene

« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2007, 11:51:01 am »
This is funny, where you get trouble it seems that quads are always the hooilgans responsible for making k@k for everybody!

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2007, 12:34:31 pm »
This is funny, where you get trouble it seems that quads are always the hooilgans responsible for making k@k for everybody!

Mozambique is next......
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Marlene

« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2007, 01:43:02 pm »

Mozambique is next......

Unfortunaly yes, you are right.

Offline Carnivore

• Longer lasting theraphy.. do longer distance travelling..
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Port Elizabeth Old(er) Guy
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2007, 09:09:59 pm »
Hullo everyone,

I entered Gamkaskloof on Saturday 13th October at18:15. The friendlist lady ranger, and her companion, presented us with our key to Meesters Huis. The way had been prepared by email bookings and EFT fees payment. That lets them know you are seriously touring and not looking to tear the place up. I also emailed Erica and assured her of our gentlemanly disposition. We were welcomed most sincerely.
Cape Nature is not out to be nasty. They are intelligent folk who really do know that there are bikes, and bikes. Just do the clever thing and approach them with due warning. All camping and accommodation is by prior booking, because there is no cash office as such.

Having come over the summit of Swartberg, we were almost wiped out by a little boy racer on an mx bike. No licence to ride on a regional road, and full throttle all over the road. Dad was in front, no doubt enjoying being out with his boy. But dammit ... it's a public road. There are laws for the protection of the public - that's you and me, and the bastard who killed my daughter's friend as a drugged drunk spoilt brat has the same disregard for others as that little twerp.
I used to tear up the world on my Maico 490 25 years ago, but had a healthy regard for the suburbs we passed en route to our playgrounds. We would not ride on public roads with an unlicenced bike. That's how it was.
It is unfortunately true that quads have become a plaything for many spoilt brats... and they think that the world owes them a place to play. Not so.... but there are places to go. Just show some respect to people who choose not to be blasted by inconsiderate racers.
Slowly but surely, the complaints are shutting down routes to us as adventure riders. Soon, there will be only tar roads for us... awful thought hey? Imagine not being allowed through Baviaans...

I love my 650 BMW and it was such a brilliant ride to The Hell. I posted our ride report here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281156&goto=newpost. Please have a read.

Kind regards to all.

Carnivore
Old, grey, crafty...

You can do anything if you have enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is the yeast that makes your hopes rise to the stars. Enthusiasm is the sparkle in your eyes, the swing in your gait, the grip of your hand, the irresistible surge of will and energy to execute your ideas. Enthusiasts are fighters. They have fortitude. They have staying qualities. Enthusiasm is at the bottom of all progress. With it, there is accomplishment. Without it, there are only alibis.
Henry Ford

Offline mountainboy

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • I vespa, therefore I am, well, almost....
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2007, 05:49:06 pm »
thats a really cool report Carnivore

Welcome to the forum!!
I love my bike..................

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2007, 06:13:43 pm »
Nice report...planning a ride there early in the new year. On the list!!
Welcome
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline Detourer

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #89 on: February 08, 2008, 07:50:59 am »
MTB, Oppad and I were confronted by the same going up Spitzkop near Knysna. A good friend of mine, recently retired from SanParks, pointed out that the 'no motorcycle sign' referes to Quads of any kind and MX bikes. Strictly speaking all touring / leisure / DS bikes are no problem. They have had a few accidents and have also mentioned noise levels from serious offroad scoots which I understand is a problem. These are still reserve areas and disturbances should be kept to a minimum. Respect.
I've rukked it, I've plukked it, I've even dropped it... and the KLR is still in one piece...

Offline Jay

• Overlanding the World
    • Overland Spirit
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2008, 02:35:25 pm »
OK. I spoke to Erika Swanepoel at Cape Nature. These are the rules:

1. No Quad bikes ever ever again - ever.
2. No MX or noisy bikes. Even if you did get permission - if you show up with one of these you will be turned away.
3. No bikes of ANY kind during long weekends or holidays.

If you want to go with a silent street legal motorbike, out of season (& out of long weekends / holidays) you can apply for permission from Erika Swanepoel at eswanepoel@capenature.co.za

Your e-mail must include the number of bikes involved and the name of the person taking responsibility for the group as a whole.

There you have it. Join us on the trip of the 16th. You never know when they ban bikes totally...
You know this is so funny to read thisâ?¦. We ride enduro at a place called Riverside mixer a stones through out of Pretoria East.  Some of the land we used belonged to Sammy Marks museum.  We basically had free range to ride were we pleased until the quads almost closed our best riding spot down.  If you go there now there is signs up all over â??NO QUADSâ?ť ;D ;D

What is it with themâ?¦. Why does this happen and why does other behaving quad riders not sort this out? >:D
'14 BMW GS1200R Adventure LC
'06 BMW GS1200R (Munich Germany)
'82 Honda CB 750 Custom
Those who do not ride in the rain... do not ride!

Offline McD

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #91 on: October 10, 2008, 09:38:08 pm »
This is exactly why ol Kortbroek brought in the total beach ban, it was just simpler and easier. In many ways we as South Africans are still very priveledged with our outdoor freedom, but the more regulated we become we will have to start either working within these confines or fighting a system. It usually better and easier to work within the confines. It must be Hell [skuzapun] for the professional bike tour operators that work Gamkaskloof - but then again they probably have an arrangement because they can give some sort of gaurantee of a standard - much the same as the off road clubs do at the moment. Maybe its time to start thinking along those lines.
Hey Goose whereareu - comment?
McD.

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #92 on: October 10, 2008, 09:43:37 pm »
This is exactly why ol Kortbroek brought in the total beach ban, it was just simpler and easier. In many ways we as South Africans are still very priveledged with our outdoor freedom, but the more regulated we become we will have to start either working within these confines or fighting a system. It usually better and easier to work within the confines. It must be Hell [skuzapun] for the professional bike tour operators that work Gamkaskloof - but then again they probably have an arrangement because they can give some sort of gaurantee of a standard - much the same as the off road clubs do at the moment. Maybe its time to start thinking along those lines.
Hey Goose whereareu - comment?
McD.

I'm here... but lost..?  ???
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ‹(•ż•)›

Offline ratrap

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #93 on: October 10, 2008, 09:59:47 pm »

Need Avnics address already???  >:D
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

Offline KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • You said it, man. Nobody fucks with Jesus Quintana
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2008, 04:17:59 am »
Can a registered roadworthy vehicle be denied access to a public road??

Red

« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2008, 06:25:44 am »
Can a registered roadworthy vehicle be denied access to a public road??

Up a bit early, captain?

Offline KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • You said it, man. Nobody fucks with Jesus Quintana
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2008, 09:25:45 am »
After leaving you and S messages yesterday - just couldn't sleep.... ;D ;)

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2008, 03:47:16 pm »

absolutely......... :biggrin:
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ‹(•ż•)›

Offline ratrap

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2008, 06:15:31 pm »

absolutely......... :biggrin:

GARMIN......I'm lost with it!  >:D
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

Offline Tweets

• Shop Mods
  • Centurion
« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2009, 08:35:10 am »
Three of us just went there in December 2008 (Whilst holidaying in Hartenbos) 2 x1200GS's, & 1 x 1200GSA.

Did not even know about this issue of no bikes. We had no problem anywhere. Arrival at the enterance, which is at the bottom of the 500m in 3.9km pass, was a matter of signing the book. To anyone going there. This enterance "gate" is about 45km from the Prince Albert road, and roughly 1hr 50min away.

Enjoyed a cooolie at the restuarant, then went right to the very end (Gate proclaiming Private road) and turned around a little tree, then back to the museum which used to be the school in the "hey-days of the kloof".   Again an interresting read of the history, then ride out to Prince Albert. 

For an indication of travel time. The following:
07:00 Departed Hartenbos. Had quick Breakfast in Oudtshoorn - Wimpy. Up the Swartberg Pass. Turn off to Die Hell. Arrived in "Die hel". Stopped twice en-route in, to take photo's, then pushed on.  Coolie at the restuarant. Drove to the very end & came back to the museum. 30min there-cool off under the shade of the tree. (Check out the temperature on the thermometer nailed to the tree trunk. 28Deg C that day 12:30 - Lekker Cool Normally its above 35 they say!!!!! )

Ride out of Die Hell (Never ending road !!) eventually arived at the Prince Albert road, then down the other pass into Prince Albert for a "late" lunch. Arrived PA at 15:00. Had a great lunch at the hotel, departed for Oudtshorn again via Meiringspoort, and back to Hartenbos. Arrived Hartenbos 18:00.  Thinking back, we did NOT waste any time anywhere, other than a couple of stops for photo's etc.

Statement 1
Anyone  thinking they can quickly do "Die Hell", is very "mistaken". You literally have to set aside a whole day of travelling in and out of the place.

Statement 2
Someone, would have to do some serious convincing, if they want to get me to go back there again!!!!!  Done it, Very interresting, but NOT AGAIN !!!

I think, if a couple of "Windgat" laaities arrive at the enterance,  on those "Orange thingies", they may be refused enterance, but for the main, I think the personnel at the gate will make a valued judgement of the vistors, let you in or not. 

This issue, of not allowing bikers in there, is symtomatic of how the quad and unruley enduro guys have given the biking community a bad name. Again a few who spoil it for the rest. Absolutely NO consideration for others!

Thats my say
Done it , NOT "sommer" again

Borrow money from pessimists - they dont expect it back
Current bikes : 1200GS, 800GS, 400XT