Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life the universe and everything else…….Then MALAWI !!  (Read 1928 times)

The_Boma

Life the universe and everything else…….Then MALAWI !!
« on: August 29, 2011, 08:44:50 am »
I have decided to start posting information on Malawi as I see a lot of people looking for information on accommodation, routes etc.

As an example lot of riders pass thru Cape Maclear,  almost all stay at Fat Monkey’s, and yes it is a excellent place to stay,  very good on-suite rooms, nice camp site very good food and the owners very good people and friends of myne.
But they are not the only place around there, there is:

Panda Lodge, Danforth Lodge, Gecko Lounge, Mufasa backpackers lodge, Molambe Lodge, Ngosa Lodge, just to name a few, O.. and there is Hick-ups Pub The Boma restaurant where bikers (and Bikers only) can camp for free if they want to.

NOTE: From what I see and the places guy’s go to is information retrieved from the web, most of the lodges camp sites etc around here do not advertise on the web.

Most of the lake towns are connected via one road (with Multiple dirt roads) up north from Karonga down to Salima, then from Salima to Monkey Bay down to Mangochi, Mangochi being the end of the great Lake Malawi, then onto Lake Malombe. In between these areas there is extraordinary place’s to see and accommodation available everywhere. I will post information up to Liwonde National park ( a place that is a must see) with information, accommodation rated people to contact etc.

I will post information on routes that I take pictures etc, mostly on weekends that I don’t go down to the lake I just hop on the bike and head off into a direction. See where the road leads  :ricky:

Offline PierreO

Re: Life the universe and everything else…….Then MALAWI !!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 09:12:20 am »
And my favorite place will be Nyala Lodge (Old Heidi Hideout) .

Offline Wheelman

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 09:14:41 am »
 :happy1:, Thanks.....
A road to a friend’s house is never long!

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 09:22:47 am »
Brilliant - thanks for this!

You obviously live and work in Malawi/ - tell us more - how long have you been there, what do you do etc  :3some:
Eat life!

Offline Offside

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 09:23:50 am »
Thanks Boma
Doing December so look forward to your posts.

The_Boma

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 09:30:52 am »
Well, I have being in Malawi now for almost three years, before that in Australia, and some contract work throughout Asia. I am originally from the West Rand Krugersdorp boy! Grew up between Groot Marico And Zeerust..

I live and work here in Lilongwe, spend my weekends at the Lake mostly..

The_Boma

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 09:59:05 am »
Sunday the 28.08.2011… well another boring day in Lilongwe, did not go to the lake had a meeting with my boss in the morning (Great guy just no concept of time….so my weekend get away to the lake spoiled again.)
What to do…mmmmmm

Took a road out of town, the “S 124” (wanted to find my way to Mitundu, there is this one very good looking Japanese Girl volunteer teacher the I wanted to go and visit……).

Now the S 124 I knew is a dirt road, dam! was I in for a surprise.

-   Pic 1 & 2 Shop where I stopped to buy some batteries for my camera.. They lasted only for 8 pic’s..
-   Pic 3 & 4 just outside Lilongwe. 
-   Pic 5  The only good section on the road.
-   Pic 6 & 7 Well say it all.
-   Pic 8 Last pic before batteries died, these fellows wanted to wash the bike, mmmm Think NOT.

O and if you are wondering if I got to see the girl…NO.. she was at that stage in Lilongwe doing shopping

The_Boma

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 10:05:03 am »

The_Boma

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 10:06:29 am »

The_Boma

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 10:08:10 am »

The_Boma

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 10:09:46 am »

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 03:14:15 pm »
Awesome, are you going to post from the bottom to the top of malawi.. it has to be my no one destination to do a bike trip..
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

The_Boma

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 03:34:56 pm »
I will be posting as I travel around places of interest etc. mostly will be random, go with the flow type posting.. :ricky:

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 02:39:20 pm »
One place I really recommend is Cool Runnings in Senga bay, run by a lady by the name of Sam. She does amazing work there, awesome place, clean, neat, great accomodation, good food and very well priced. You won't be sorry going there.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Rodlau

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 07:15:14 pm »
This is gonna be great. Was there in 1962. Never forget the call sign/signature of Radio Nyasa. A fish eagle call.

Offline wave rider

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 09:20:48 pm »
Hey Boma was good to meet you (mid August the 2 V stroms). We got fuel in Mangochi no
problem pulled into the gas station and filled up. Cheers enjoy Malawi we loved it there.

The_Boma

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 09:59:43 am »
Hey Wave Rider, good to see you guy’s made it back safely.
Lucky you guy’s got petrol there, the entire southern region was dry from until you guy’s left until last week,  country only starting to get more fuel since then, well, all good now here… that is until the next crisis.

The_Boma

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 11:28:56 am »
Having a good giggle…
Malawi, fuel…nothing has changed much since 1973…..

The_Boma

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 11:06:50 am »
No comment

Offline charlw

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 06:17:38 pm »
Steppes camping in Senga Bay is also great spot as is Makuzi Bay further up the lake. Recommend both.
The traveler sees what he sees.  The tourist sees what he has come to see.  ~G.K. Chesterton