ENGINE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuckyStriker

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
I didn't want to hijack the 650X thread but there is a common misconception that the flat twin is a second-rate design that belongs in a museum.

The thumper was the first modern internal combustion engine (ICE) engine to be installed in a vehicle. It was predated by single piston steam, gas, etc engines.
At first the thumper pointed straight forward, then straight up and then at an angle tilted to the front.
Surely no one considers it to be old technology even though it is the eldest of all?

The first multi-cylinder engine was an inline twin, closely followed by the boxer flat twin.
Then the inline banks became longer and longer until someone developed the V-arrangement.

Motorcycles were, to my knowledge, the only vehicle equipped with transverse V-twins and it has been a contentious layout since the earliest days.
It has just as many pros as cons and engineers seem to prefer parallel or boxed (not boxer) engines.
The flat twin is not a perfect design but it is a great engine for a DS bike in my opinion. Easy to work on, low gravity, reliable, etc. I won't mention all the cons (I'll leave that up to you guys :wink: )

Care to discuss the means of locomotion?