Quick lunchtime breakaway up to Paarl Rock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eisbein

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Ok - so the work is getting on my nerves and I had a busy morning.

So when lunchtime arrived it was time to get out a little.

I decided to go see what's up in our little valley.

I've been up towards the nature reserve close to paarl rock before, so I decided to find out what's potting on that side. I ended up going up close to the 'Taal Paal' and going past the whole town over the mountain and down on the north side again.

Go on the loooooong main road towards the N1 up to where I see a sign that says 'Mountain Reserve and Taalmonument'.

Turned right and I was on my way.

Those of you that stay in the Cape knows that its been a rather wet affair the past day or two.
I've encountered lots of eroded gravel and puddles. Every now and again you would come 'round a turn to end up in a little piece of mud. Nothing serious, but still.

The road up there is baaaad. (Not Eastern Cape bad, but still). You don't want to do over 60 after a rainy day like yesterday.

Came to a little T-Junction where you can go left to the monument or right up the mountain. Gooi'd right. Very interesting and twisty little road with farmroads going off in all directions.
A couple of turns onto this road:

smaller_DSC00509.jpg

The view up some sieriehaas granite...

smaller_DSC00510.jpg

Halfway up - looking down on the ratrace.

smaller_DSC00511.jpg

This is just after the gate to the picnic area:

smaller_DSC00512.jpg

Another angle:
The road you can see here continues to Paarl North. That's the one I took when I came down from 'The Rocks'

smaller_DSC00513.jpg

Some inflight photography:
smaller_DSC00515.jpg

My office is there somewhere.
Just getting a little perspective again:
smaller_DSC00516.jpg

You then get towards some gates that control entry to the big rocks. They charge R16 per 'viricle' and R4 per person to let you in on weekends. Seeing that this was a weekday I went in for free.
The road forks just after the gate and it looks like you can explore a little towards that side as well. Will have to come check it out some other day...

At the parking spot where you would start your hike up the big rock:
I've been working in Paarl for over 5 years (living here for one) and I've never been up here. It's a crying shame...

smaller_DSC00517.jpg

The smaller one of the two at the same spot:
smaller_DSC00519.jpg

And the big one. Clouds were low and promising the whole time.
smaller_DSC00520.jpg

A little road on the way down (can't see the angle).
I almost saw my gat at the bottom. What you do not realise is that the whole area
Is solid granite. Now (especially after the rain) you'll be riding on a stretch of gravel. Then you'll go onto a piece of road that still looks like gravel, but is in fact granite with a thin layer of snotty muddy clay on it.
Touch the front brake and there goes the front wheel. Lucky I touched the back brake a splitsecond earlier and felt it, so the front wheel didn't go awol all the way...
smaller_DSC00521.jpg

Another view from there - Taalmonument at the bottom:
smaller_DSC00522.jpg

This is at a corner a little lower. It looks like it could also be the entrance to a hiking trail.
Look at all the little trails over yonder:
smaller_DSC00523.jpg

And this:
smaller_DSC00524.jpg

Another view on the way down:
smaller_DSC00525.jpg

This little bit reminded me of the switchbacks in Tokai:
smaller_DSC00526.jpg

The road that leads back to the main road on the outside (north/wellington side) of Paarl:
smaller_DSC00527.jpg

A view back towards the town:
smaller_DSC00528.jpg

Yip - that's were I've just been:
smaller_DSC00529.jpg

Sauerkraut back in its resting place:
smaller_DSC00530.jpg

It took me exactly one hour (quick stop at a cafe included).

Lots of interesting road surfaces.
Some 'washed out' grooves, some mud puddles, some snot, some sand, some potholes.
Not too many surprises as long as you keep between 30 and 60.

This could be a nice day outing from Capetown:
Bring da wife, some refreshment early in the morning, ride up the mountain, climb up the rock, get down again ride down the other side and then out back Durbanville way back home again...