Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Metro cop nearly killed me.  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Split

• Puppy
Metro cop nearly killed me.
« on: June 07, 2007, 07:45:01 pm »
Well, this morning, one of Wayne Minnaar?s thugs pushed me off the road. Twice.

I was commuting to work, in the second lane of the N1, approaching Rivonia, when this idiot in a Metro police car, who had been cutting through traffic and generally making a spectacle of himself since Modderfontein, with all his Christmas tree flashing, suddenly cut INTO MY LANE from the fast lane and behind, and ended up no more than six inches from my front wheel. Not to overtake, mind you, he then proceeded to just sit there.

I hooted and moved out of the way. He looked me in the eye and kept coming, in the process physically knocking my luggage rack with his fender.  I thought ?o kak, an accident with Metro, I?m going to jail!?

I pulled clear, indicated that I am stopping, and pulled off the road to the shoulder. He slowed right down and dropped back. Odd? No, he was lining up for a second try!!!

I had nearly stopped when Mr Metro then proceeded to make a run at my bike with his car (Into the yellow lane!). I swerved out and nearly ended up in the ditch, so he missed me. By a few inches.

He never pulled over, but then raced off, taking Rivonia offramp.

I got so far as getting ?PVR? from his number plate, but was not going to keep up with his reckless speeding to get the rest.

There were two occupants in the vehicle.

So much for Public Relations, Metro. One of your finest tried to kill me today. Like I said, twice ? across four lanes of freeway ? and I was not even in his way.

Offline BOZO

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 07:57:19 pm »
I would love to comment on this but I find myself speechless. I think the biggest problem, or is it the saddest thing, is that there is nothing we can do about it.
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them." Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline mcfinnigan

• Puppy
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 09:12:53 pm »
not that I'm advocating actually DOING this, but I hear ball-bearings work wonders...

McF

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 09:24:57 pm »
:shock:  :shock:
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Online Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 09:37:33 pm »
I have to admire your self control.

There is absolutely no way I would have not followed them. At the very least, I would have gotten their number plate.

I, I, I....

Fokkit!
I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline KTM BIGGER

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • SAB Goblin 700
    • http://www.goblinhobbies.co.za/
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 09:48:16 pm »
What is the world coming too!!!

Offline krazy-eyes

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 11:56:24 pm »
it is because of their intimidation tactics that they get away with this  :evil:
had you followed him to confront him (in a respectfull manner) about his bad driving he probably would have thrown you in jail for having the nerve, masking his abuse of power with some bullshit charge against you like "obstructing the cause of justice" or "threatening an on duty police officer".
even if you got his full number and reported his behaviour, the standard excuse/cover-up story from his superiors would be "he was responding to an emergency",
he knows that you know this, thus he acts that way because he knows that no one has the time and energy to get into an argument with metro because you wont win  :roll:

they are indeed thugs.

Extreme Velcro

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 10:16:41 am »
I would've gotten into the office and phone Metro to complain as well as mailed a letter off to the newspaper immediately.  In fact, I suugest you still do just that mentioning that it is not suprising that our traffic situation is in such dire straits when the police themselves do not obey the laws and drive badly.

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 11:07:39 am »
holy crap man! i would definitely write to the papers, right now!!

Offline Xwagga

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 11:14:10 am »
Think you did the best think to just sit back & relax. Had you followed them at  a speed they would probable have run you over with their car. & theres nowhere to go complain as you didn't get the plate

Such things just makes me :blob6: (fuming)
My views on everything has changed over the past view months

Offline Tonteldoos

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 11:39:21 am »
Nowadays there are some nice cameras on the N1 monitoring the traffic.. so his behaviour as well as number plate should be available.
Challenge = Innovation = Change

Offline Vonkprop

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 11:58:13 am »
It's scary what you land up with when you combine a state sponsored uniform ,a state sponsored (make that taxpayer sponsored )motor vehicle.....and absolutely no brains. :x
You're never lost as long as you still have gas !

Offline PoepolJack

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Really shy member since 2006-11-08
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 01:34:57 pm »
Shocking!!!!!! Thats all i can say :x
You have one life... Live it!!!

Offline BoJangels

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Plettenberg Bay
Re: Metro cop nearly killed me.
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 05:20:39 pm »
reading this makes me so angry.
Split, you've got to do something about it. Email your letter to all the bike mags (I know a lot of guys on this forum dont like BikeSa but with 35000 readers your letter will be of interest and who knows, maybe this bastard has done it before, really hurting or even killing someone.

By doing nothing you are aiding this idiot.
I will help you forward the article to all the bike mags (just let me know)

The only truimph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
It is never too late or too early to be whoever you want to be.

Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.

Extreme Velcro

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2007, 05:34:14 pm »
Absolutely agree with Bojangels.  We cannot keep sitting back and allowing public as well as those who are supposed to uphold the law to keep getting away with stuff like this.....

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2007, 06:49:31 pm »
BoJ

You are wise beyond your couple of years...

;D

Offline Reg

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Failure is not an option.
    • GDI
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 06:46:46 pm »
reading this makes me so angry.
Split, you've got to do something about it. Email your letter to all the bike mags (I know a lot of guys on this forum dont like BikeSa but with 35000 readers your letter will be of interest and who knows, maybe this bastard has done it before, really hurting or even killing someone.

By doing nothing you are aiding this idiot.
I will help you forward the article to all the bike mags (just let me know)

The only truimph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

I agree, what a twatwaffle, the worst thing is, that if you had fallen, thankfully you did not, the prick would have got away scott free. makes me mad and confused, cops don't normally attack bikes?

Perhaps this will teach you not to pull a brown eye at the cops ;D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 06:47:29 pm by Reg »
Regards

Reg

To fly is great, to hover is awesome. Ex- Helicopter Pilot.. for now. Past Bikes: XL650V XL1000V (Dero)

Offline Freestyler

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Keep The Balance Right
    • Morgan Motors
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 01:05:25 pm »
 >:( >:( >:(
Very poor behaviour from our peace officers.
You must truly take this further.
Start a petition and I'm sure everyone on this site will sign it.
Include as few personal details as possible. Do not give out your physical address as you will recieve an un-wanted guest.
Yamaha DT 175

Offline Veemax

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Real adventure bikes weigh < 150 kg
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 04:16:05 pm »
I'd consider that action attempted vehicular assault, with intent to do grevious bodily harm. This is a schedule 1 offense, is it not? Any legal advice out there? In a schedule 1 offense you are entitled to enforce a citizens arrest, using whatever minimum force is necessary to secure an arrest. I will not elaborate further. I would certainly not give ANY mercy to a crooked cop.
(Tiger1050/DR650SE/DR650ES/VS800/VZ800/LS650/XLX350R/GN400-tracker/YZX200)

Who are we, but to provide entertainment for our neighbours? - Jane Austen

Offline Split

• Puppy
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 08:12:00 pm »
Thanks all for the responses. Truth be told, I would have loved to respond by confronting the cop, but that would get one shot or jailed. If he was willing to try and run me off the road the first time, what makes you think he would not have been willing to abuse his authority further once stopped?

I did mail the story to Jeremy Mansfield, but no response as far as I know. No Highveld Stereo in my helmet, thanks.

My feeling is, he did not look the first time, hence never knew where I had come from (Even though at this point he was catching up to me, and I was taking up a full lane).

Hooting at him got him riled, and so the second response was to teach me a lesson. As said on Thinkbike before, we are not considered legitimate road users

Many trips to Africa and to third world countries have taught me one thing: Cops hold the power, and don't you forget it. They will remind you. Well, I am sad to say we are now one of those countries.