Alfie Cox Dual Sport Festival – Sierra Ranch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splash

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Enduro
KwaZulu Natal Midlands my favourite place to visit and anytime of the year is great, always enthralled by the scenery and country life. Was the fifth running of this festival and my first.

Alfie Cox, mister adventure, knows how to get everyone involved and participating. From the moment one arrives one feels at home and part of the ‘local’ riding fraternity. Well organised like the riding tracks emailed so one could load them onto one’s GPS ready for the rally and a good job made of the tracks proving to be easily followable.

Hugo, Mick and Howard, good riding friends, made for great company during the weekend. Friday morning was an early start for a long day of around 400kms of riding, mostly in tribal trust land around Greytown. Immediately joined up with Mick and Howard and rode the whole morning with them. Hugo turned out to be helping a friend whom had fallen. Just before lunchtime, Mick took a tumble. He was having a magnificent day riding like a demon. On a blind rise, the road turned and was off-camber, a sure recipe for a close call. His protective gear worked wonders and did not break anything, apart from lots of plastic off his bike. His weekend was over though.

My entertainment for the afternoon was a bike that broke in two, well almost. Missing two bolts that hold the seat in place – tried cable ties - no luck. Another rider lent me some bungee cords which we attached from the back to the front of the bike and they worked perfectly. One had to be careful not to get ones ‘crown jewels’ entangled. My afternoon’s riding now cut short having to take a direct route back. Still had a full day and was more than thankful to park my bike.

Alfie, as only Alfie can be, telephoned around to find some replacement bolts. Out of luck he tracked down a spare bike and ‘borrowed’ bolts for me. 6:00 the following morning he was working to fit the new bolts. My thanks and admiration cannot be expressed enough.

Mark Rouch then sorted out my exhaust which was also damaged. Tinfoil and wire to fix and ready for another day’s adventure.

The second day was more technical with several tracks through farms which is an absolute privilege to be able to ride though. Included was a game farm which we took slowly. Off into the mountains around Kamburg for the most amazing scenery. Lunch was at the ‘Spotted Horse’ and served a humongous hamburger - went down well.

Back towards Mooi River and more technical sections and now eventually riding with Hugo. Had a great afternoon and back at Sierra Ranch much too quickly.

Cannot explain the number of different obstacles we encountered. Had some mud, a river, lots of rocks, a pass, some tight tracks, forest roads and wide open dirt roads. Enough to know one had truly been riding. Another 400km behind one and fatigue felt.

The final dinner entertaining yet sad as one had to say goodbye to many new friends.

Hope to see them all again in a year’s time for what will definitely be another weekend to remember. Alfie, Stefan, Kevin and the rest of team, well done. You hit the nail on the head.   

Pictures
AlfieCoxMap.jpg

AlfieCox301.jpg

AlfieCox289.jpg

AlfieCox276.jpg

AlfieCox258.jpg

AlfieCox246.jpg

AlfieCox234.jpg

AlfieCox227.jpg

AlfieCox220.jpg