WC: Amageza skill assessment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Camelman

Qualification: Western Cape Amageza competitors and standby competitors.
Date: Sunday 09.10.2011 Final one: Saturday 05.11.2011.
Time: 08:00
Place: Zone 7 MX track, Morning Star.
Duration: 3 - 8 hours.
Route: GPS way-points. (Provided on the day).
Distance: 200km.
Difficulty Level: Amageza

There will be a skill assessment for the new, and standby Amageza entrants based in the Western Cape. If you have not completed at least 70% of Amageza 2011, you will have to pass this route within the time provided before you will be allowed to enter.

The start will be at Zone 7 mx track. You will be given the full GPS track to follow the day before on the day. Those who make it will be allowed to enter. If you fail here, a standby person who passed will be given your spot and you move to standby until the retest on Saturday 05.11.2011. If you fail here, you are out until 2013 entries open.

If you cannot make the first test, you will be put on the stand-by list until the second test.

Firecoast will post a namelist here for all who need to qualify. Please ensure she has your email address for the gps route.

Now, don't go getting all tense because your name is on the list. I want to KNOW you are a survivor! We cannot afford injuries. We are way closer to hospitals here than Sutherland. So pretty please, play nice!  :3some:

Let the games begin!  >:D

Update 1
-> No road-book required. You will be given the GPS route the day before.
-> Plenty of fuel everywhere. We will stay in civilization.
-> No fun riders on the route please. You may prevent a competitor of finishing in time due to him helping you, or you blocking the track or getting hurt. Remember, the people who want to enter are there of their own admission CRAZY. The cream of the crop!  :mwink:
-> We will try and post spectator points for the spectators to go. Please just stay on the spectator route provided.
-> There is no back-up, and  no support other than your team-mate, a few marshal's and a sweep bike maybe. Its like any other ride you've done. Survivor-style.

Update 2
-> I was able to secure two aircraft for the skill assessment. They will shoot some footage as a test for the Amageza next year. If all works out, we can use this as a teaser for those who missed out on the entries. I had a flight this afternoon as a pax in one, and shot some footage. I think the aircraft will work very well, and their beer is cheap!

Update 3
-> Teams: You make your own team. This is not required for the qualifier, but advisable, as you can test your teamwork as well.
-> Number: If you can, plak a number on the front of your bike corresponding to your Amageza run number. This will make it easier to identify you. As we are not charging for the qualifier, we can't manufacture, and dish them out unfortunately.

Update 4
We managed to get the interest of a major film studio in the sport industry. They are busy on the 2nd with their full crew, but are available on the 9th. So I have changed the date to the 9th so we can slot them in to shoot footage for a 5 minute promo film on the day. I sincerely apologize for inconveniencing you, but at least you will be able to see yourself in HD.  >:D

Update 5
You need to let Firecoast know if you plan on doing the assessment-run on the 9th. Especially the WC riders.

If you miss this assessment, you WILL BE PLACED ON STANDBY. The final assessment in November 2011 will be more difficult than this one, because the riders will talk, and post, and you will have prior knowledge to train for, giving you a advantage.

Surviving the Amageza is all that matters to us. If we cannot judge if you have the skill to do the Amageza, you will not be allowed to enter. It does not matter if we only have the 20 riders of 2011 taking part! Survival is crucial.

The route will be 30 to 50% tougher than Amageza 2011, putting the Amageza nicely on track to even the Dakar.

The route is going to be tough and long, testing your ability to the max. We need to have the peace of mind, that we have not knowingly placed a rider on a route where he or she might get hurt.

So please, let FC know if you are coming or not.  :thumleft:

Update 6
We will be testing the Gyro-copters on the day as well, and the Flying Club has provided us the use of their club-house. The entrance is right across Zone 7 MX track. We will be transferring the GPS routes to your device from 07:30 to 08:30. If your GPS has any weird connection, bring your cable with please. We don't have a serial port, so only USB cables will work. We will end here as well, and they are providing us with beer and maybe a boerie-roll or two. This you will be able to purchase cash there. The actual route takes about 4-5 hours. All should be in by 15:00, as we start at 09:00. If you get there after 15:00 and the gate is locked, well.... ;D Please park in the parking area provided. I promised them that no one will go near any aircraft, or air-side, or between the hangers. Please comply!  :deal:

Update 7
The route can loosly be described as consisting of a Special Stage of 188km. There are further 3 Very Special Stages within the Special Stage. The first VSS will clearly indicate to you what you can expect further on, and if you should rather throw in the towel. The second and third VSS is approximately 15 and 8 km respectively. Do not even try using Scorpions or any DS tyre, you will not even make VSS 1. Ensure you have your cell phone charged, your tank with enough fuel for 150km (fuel available after VSS 2 and 3), and enough water to hydrate. If you have a Zartek Radio, bring it with. We will be monitoring a channel from the ground and air.

Update 8
The GPS track:
It is in two parts, amaq1 and amaq2. By default you start at the one point and ride to the other point of the track. It does not overlap. I will also brief you on the basic direction of the route the morning. When you reach the end of amaq1, you load amaq2 and off you go, until you reach the end again. Now this is very simple, and should not require excessive brain-overload. If, however, you don't know how to set your track up on the GPS or how to load the track on your map, of heaven forbid, you rock up at the start with a Nuvi, then I will put on my knee pads and pray for you. In any case, if your GPS is giving you crap, and you don't have a car, touch-screen, voice guided GPS costing less than a phone charger, you need to be at the start at 07:30 and I will try and assist where I can. Left-less should also be there, and he has a talent for sorting out the fore-mentioned GPS's. Be aware that you GPS is your survival tool on Sunday. If you loose power on it, make sure you have batteries to run it. If yours can only run off the bike battery, ensure you have whatever required to do a field repair.

Training:
The word Amageza, means 'crazy' in Xhosa. But its not the Roof, its for big bikes, and hard-core riders. Its a navigational and endurance challenge, not a green, pink, blue route challenge. (No pun intended to other rides!) Theirs only one route, and one route only, and that's the one on your road-book. One GPS track. Go off it at your own peril.  :mwink:

There's a reason why I have been saying for ten months now, and will keep on saying. YOU NEED TO TRAIN for the Amageza. Like training for the Argus, or Iron Man. You need to have a plan to get your self in the best possible form of motorcycle rider you can. Riding one day a week on a gravel highway is not going to cut it.

You need to be doing 2 days a week fitness training. Two days a week MX style training with your bike for a hour a day, then a long 6 to 8 hour ride on the weekend.

You also need to learn your bike, find what breaks often, and how to fix it in the field.

Rules:
The objective of the qualification is to ensure that every rider taking part in the Amageza has a above average skill level on his machine, and can keep cool in difficult conditions. The Amageza needs riders who can take punishment for 8 hours, while keeping safe, never exceeding their or their bikes limitations.

To facilitate this and make it as safe as possible, keeping it a ride, and not a race, following are the rules on qualification day.
  • No bikes under 450cc.
  • The bike you use must be of similar engine capacity to the one you want to use for the Amageza.
  • No unlicensed bike. All disks to be available on request.
  • All bikes must have numberplate’s, lights, and indicators. Mirrors may be removed.
  • No unlicensed rider. A learners is acceptable only for qualification, not the Amageza.
  • All riders must give contact details of next-of-kin and medical aid details before entry.
  • All riders must have the pre-qualification number on their bike. This must be visible from the front at a distance of 10 meters.
  • No rider may exceed 120km/h True Speed (True speed is the speed displayed on the riders GPS) on any part of the route.
  • No rider may exceed any speed limit within town or city boundaries, as indicated on road-signs. Any speeding will be penalised. Three penalties is automatic disqualification.
  • No rider my endanger another rider, road-user or pedestrian. Any such behaviour, if reported will be investigated and depending on the danger posed, dealt with accordingly. This may include disqualification.
  • All riders receive the GPS route on qualifying-day. A hour before the start they line up with their GPS, and we transfer the map from a laptop to their device. You need to bring any cables you need with. Only Garmin devices using Map-Source as source medium, is available.
  • After the run, you line up again, and we download the trip-log, and save it with your prelim-number as file name.
  • We then overlay each riders track with the route, and check for any off-track riding. Riders are penalised for going off the indicated route, or speeding.
  • The time you completed the loop in is calculated with any penalties to get to a final time.
  • We will then decide who passes and who fails based on the base time set for the route and the average route time by all the riders combined.

I need to emphasis again. THIS IS NOT FOR THE AVERAGE RIDER. The qualifier is 250km -300km, but also a condensed 500km ride. Please ensure you are physically and mentally prepared for this.

Qualification 1: Summery

Everybody involved in Sunday the 9th will agree when I say, It was a hair-raising moment when Len came over the starting line at rooftop height!

There are a couple of very important thank-you's I want to convey, and in no order whatsoever, except the first!:

God: Who I asked the morning at 04:00 to protect every rider, and bring all back home that day without any injuries!

Andy 660: This man changed more tyres yesterday than most of us do in a year! He was out from the start till we brought in the last man! Thanks bro!!
Firecoast: She was again the center of the Amageza, arranging for lost guys to be found, broken bikes to be picked up, and managing all the admin. Thanks FC!
Leftless: Not only did he manage the first 2 hours of the ride from a gyrocopter, acting as position and radio relay for the rest of us, but apon landing, went on to recover bikes stuck in Atlantis, towing them out with his Landy. Shot Kobus!!
Sprocketbek and co: Waited for hours in the 36 degree sun for riders to pass to take pics, and recovered bikes in between as well! Thanks to both of you, you flippen rock!!
Pure-Orange: Who supported the broken bikes and marshaled for the event! Thanks my bru!
g1_: Jeff, buddy! Thanks man. For sitting on the back of my bakkie all day, for shooting in the blistering sun, getting sun-burned and dehydrated! Appreciate it man, really!
Crossed-up and Scrat: Who acted as sweep on their bikes, and had one hell of a time in all the other bikes tracks in the sand. Thanks to both of you! I promise never to ask you to do it again!  ;)
Wayneh: The marketing manager of the Amageza! Spent all day with me, in the sun, climbing dunes in search of riders, driving when I had the phone stuck to my one ear and the other on the two-way radio, and shooting from his cool HD cams. Thanks bro!
Nandi Who for the first time in her life was strapped to a seat under a spinning blade and asked to shoot still footage from tree-top height! Thanks Nandi, I'm sure the footage will be awesome!
Len Klopper: Chief Gyrocopter flying instructor at Morningside Airfield, who arranged three Gyrocopters for us for the day at no cost to the Amageza, and flew me out two days before the qualifier to recce the air-route. He also is responsible for shooting the footage from the air with one of the Bigshot Media guys, and a HD cam mounted on the nose-wheel. Thanks Len!
Jean, and the other gyrocopter pilot: Thanks to both of you. Together with Len you guys made it possible to shoot this event from the air.
Morningside Airfield: For hosting us, providing coffee before, and burgers and beer after the qualifier!

All the entrants! Man you okes are a rare breed. You just jump into the unknown, don't you! Thanks for all of you who tried. For those of you who did'nt make it, you know now what to train for, so we could see you soon hey!

Attachments

• sample.gdb
    2 KB · Views: 41
  • sampleV2.gdb
    2 KB · Views: 30