Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Boer soek 'n Toer! Die Ride Report. Day 5 complete.  (Read 4727 times)

Offline BOER!

• is 'n GS neersletterende
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • What's Updog?
Re: Boer soek 'n Toer! Die Ride Report. Die begin....
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 04:40:59 pm »
Hier kom dit nou...
 :ricky: :ricky:
My hart kom affie plaas, Waar die Wind en die Son en die Stilte my speelmaats was.

Everybody falls off. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.

Offline BOER!

• Race Dog
  • What's Updog?
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2011, 04:56:40 pm »
Day 1

After much anticipation, and almost having to cancel my holiday due to an impending knee operation, Tuesday 30 August arrives.  It is day 1 of my week long bike trip!!!  I can hardly wait to get on the bike.  But that won’t be today......

My weapon of choice.  Custom Built GS1200, with GSA tank, and sprayed last minute with Rattle Can Matt Black....

The night before.  I am packing all night long.  Lots of stuff goes along on a week long trip, and I only take half of what I set aside to pack.

All this.....

Goes into this!

Pack setup:
Tankbag:  Tools, flysheet, emergency poncho, torch and map.
Backpack:  StealthCamperTent, Sleeping Bag, Ribzz Stretcher, Stove, pots, plates and cutlery.  Clothes and food for about 4 days.  My airhawk seat is my cushion.
Backpack:  Cup, toiletries, One bottle of Brandy (Dis fokken koud innie Karoo, liefie!) and 2L of water.
3 legged camping stool.

Lock and Load.  On my way to Justin.  The new tank feels comfortable and I can handle the weight easily.  Total weight, including 2L of water on my back pack. 20kg.  B0nus!!   :biggrin:  Note that I removed my rear seat on the GS.  I always do this to lower the COG.  I strap all the stuff down with Bungy cords which I also use to pull my tent upright.

When I arrive at Justin’s house, we load the trailer, and set off for Bloem.  I didn’t know this, but the 800GS is a full 50mm longer than the 1200GS.  WTF?

Leaner and meaner 800 Lewensgevaarlik

On our way...

We arrive at my mate Ian’s house in Bloem. We will be leaving the trailer and bakkie here.  That night we sleep in his Lapa on the floor.  Well, we tried to sleep anyway.  Everytime I roll over I check on my phone to see if it isn’t time to get up yet.  At 4h30am,  we are up and can hardly wait to get going.

Shot Ian, for the MOERSE steaks. 

Distance Covered:  550km
Total covered:  550km.
My hart kom affie plaas, Waar die Wind en die Son en die Stilte my speelmaats was.

Offline BOER!

• Race Dog
  • What's Updog?
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2011, 05:27:04 pm »
Day 2

Justin needs a bit of help with his luggage.  He is unsure what to pack and what to leave behind.  I let him put all the things he needs one side.  When he is done, I tell him:  Nou vat net die helfte van al daai kak.  

And it was still a bit of a load.  We’ll get it sorted out soon.

We pose for a “before” photo.

We decide not to fill up yet, and keep the bikes as light as possible, so we can get use to them on the first Gravel roads.

I take a couple of pics with my cellphone on the go.

We hit the first Gravel about 35km out of Bloem and it’s time to pose for a pic.  But Justin is trapped between his tank bag and his luggage.  You will see through the rest of the trip, Justin is always sitting on his bike.  It’s because he can’t get off.
 :imaposer:

The first roads are PURE PERDE PRET, and I twist the Black Stallion’s ear.  

Which way Douglas Green??? ???

Sunrise in the Freestate.  

We get to the RietRiver Bridge.  

On the other side we find this old car.  Looks like the one from “The Hurt Locker”.  Probably a “fisherman’s friend” , but I don't trust it en ons gooi weer.  

Duidelik het die Vrystaat lekker reen gehad deur die winter.

We come across this old abandoned little railway settelment. Steunmekaar.  

Justin in front of the old shop.

Fokoli Petrollie.

We reach the tar road again, about 12km short of Fauresmith.  Justin needs to fill up.  We drive into Fauresmith and take a couple of shots next to the old Steam Locomotive parked in the centre of the Main street.  Justin has to park next to a curb to climb off his bike.

A reminder of a glorious travel era gone by. Out with the old, in with the new.

We exit the same way we came for about 5km and turn left towards Luckhoff.  

Lekker piece of road and I “gooi” properly.  I go through Luckhoff so fast I didn’t even get a photo of the town name packed in white stone on the mountainside.

Luckhoff roads

More

« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:54:30 pm by BOER! »

Offline Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: Suzuki DR 800S Big
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 09:16:37 pm »
Agge-nee ! Ek kan nie al die prentjies sien nie, maar mooi sover.

Edit : Forgot to mention, that black 'GSA' is a beaut. I also want  :drif:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:03:45 pm by jupiter »
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline BOER!

• Race Dog
  • What's Updog?
Re: Boer soek 'n Toer! Die Ride Report. Dag een.
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 10:16:31 pm »
After Luckhoff we get Vanderkloof dam and we stop on the centre spot where somebody gooi ‘n Donut!  As a Civil Engineer and Construction Manager, projects of this magnitude never ceases to amaze me.  

Dis donners hoog.  

As I look down, I can feel the heights call my name, en ek staan so tree terug.

Die dam hy es nie baaie vol nie my baas, maar darem, hy es hom die naby vol.

From Vanderkloof dam it's a short tar road jump to PetrusVille.  We both fill up, and it's just about time to grab a bite.  

Petrus Wie?  In the background is Jakes Tune up Centre.  A good man, and I stop to say hello.  He is a biker himself riding a XR500R. 

A short drive around gets us to this spot.  Justin doesn't trust the place.  "Watter tipe mense is al so diep gesuip 11h in die oggend?"  I convince him it will be allright.  

As Justin takes his first bite, I ask: "Proe jy ook die katvleis in die wors?"  :imaposer:  He gives his hotdog to me.   >:D

I leave my mark.  Boer Meubels.  That's rather close to my CC's real name: Schoeman Meubels.

Just outside of Petrusville we take a left.  We are heading to Potfontein.

The road surface is immediatly different.  It's bright white and you struggle to see the middelmannetjie.  Gee net horings allie pad.  Along the road I see plenty of animals like meerkat, springhaas and even a steenbokkie runs along the bike for a few seconds.  Unfortunately, a lot of roadkill across the road as well.  :'(

Vaaltyn en Vaaloor. Note the funny slope of the koppies in the background. Kind of a constant 30 degree slope, which ends solid onto the vlaktes. 

A very familiar sign in the Karoo, and for the rest of our trip

Sexy bitch

At Potfontein "fokkol oor" Station, we ride onto the old Platform and grab a snack, while we take some photos.

Potfontein Stasie.

Note the old postboxes.  It must've been quite a busy station back in the day.  I get that nostalgic feeling.  I grew up on a farm which use to be the Post office, Vee kraal, shop and Transnet Depo.  My father used to tell me stories starting:  In daarie dae.....

Stasiemeester se huis.  This would truly be a beautiful spot if it's fixed up.  Biker haven.  
 Gives you that longing feeling for a time gone by...

On the GPS this shows as a airstrip.  How cool was Potfontein in it's HeyDays? Geez. We see white spraypainted markings on the road, and wonder if the "airstrip" was recently used?

Desolation is allright with me.

The gravel roads are long straight and inviting.  I run the bike full taps.  Pure Perde Plesier!  
We turn left towards the N10 and we decide to get to Loxton via tar, because the sun is setting fast.  Don't want to be trapped on these roads in the dark. Die jakkalse sal jou opvreet.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:47:09 pm by BOER! »

Offline zetman

• Grondpad Alie pad
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Plak n Palm...
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2011, 10:32:16 pm »
Jaaaa Boeeer Gooi mielies lekker trip wat jul gehad het mal oor jou Swart Gevaar gooi ng paar peekcha's my maat
Hou die Tyres op die Grondpad...

Offline BOER!

• Race Dog
  • What's Updog?
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 11:07:39 pm »
We make our heading for the N10, and we have to push. 

But we get a sign.

This is a dealbreaker.  As adventurous as I am, If we can't make it through, we have to turn around, giving us a 90km detour.  We will arrive after dark at our overnight spot.  Do I smell a challenge?

And this is it.  Pffffft!!! Ons gooi hom mooi, maar hy is snotglad onder.

We get to the tar, and from here it's tedious and very boring.  Britstown, Victoria Wes and Loxton.

Victoria West.

Ons gaan stuur groete vir Mannetjies Roux.

Mannetjies tells us a little story (as he is known to do).  I've only been on a bike twice in my life, and both occasions I moered off.  He pauses until I ask, Hoe Oom?  My donnerse bene is te kort!   :imaposer:  His eyes sparkle as we have a good laugh.  Classic stuff.

Offline BOER!

• Race Dog
  • What's Updog?
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2011, 11:34:15 pm »
From Victoria Wes we have another boring stretch of tar towards Loxton.  The sun is setting and we get the sun giving us a stare down.  :P

In Loxton I leave my mark I remember as a kid I used to play in the speel parkie in Loxton.  My parents had friends who lived here years ago, and we would visit them over school holidays.  Also Loxton happens to be my first DS biking destination when I got my 1200GS in September 2006.  That makes it only 5 years that I've been riding bikes.  :ricky:

Edit:  If I think about it now, my parent's friends were the dominee.   :D

We don't stop in Loxton, we go round the circle and out toward Beaufort West, but we turn of on the Fraserburg turn off.

The roads are brand new, and the roadworks signs are all over.  Die enigste padskraper in die kontrei is toevallig gister hier deur.

We get lekker water crossings

Justin having a go.

Splish Splash, I was taking a bath.....  The next day I almost see my arse trying this same move....  :biggrin:

Ek drip soos 'n perculator.

We make good progress, but in certain place a few deep sand patches rears it's head.  I don't stop or slow down for them, so no photos.  A couple of close calls have my O-ring biting punctures in the Airhawk seat.

Sandy Corner

We safely make it to our destination.  The farms name used to be Kafferskraal, but in 1994 it was changed to Wolwas due to political reasons.  However, all the people in the area still knows the farm by it's old name.  Go figure.

Boer het 'n vrou gekry.  Our host for the evening: Tickey and Selme- Louise, and their 15month old laaitie George.  Tickey participated in the Kyk net series "Boer soek 'n Vrou" and found Selme-Louise with a Love at first sight moment.  Selme- Louise and myself went to Kovsies together ages ago. 

We head for our overnight spot

Duck and Dive is the white building up in the distance.  Not the first time I've been to Duck and Dive.  I got engaged here six years ago.  What a beautifull place.  Highly Recommended!!!  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline BOER!

• Race Dog
  • What's Updog?
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 11:48:41 pm »
Duck and Dive.

We arrive at the perfect time.  The sun is setting over the dam, and we have a 270 degree view of the most beautifull Karoo sunset.  We settle in, gooi a stywe dop and chill while we watch the sun set over our bikes. I bought some bees biltong in Petrusville, and we set up our stoeltjies and sit in silence, each in his own thoughts about the day gone by.  And the idea of many more like them to come.

What a day!

Bietjie mooi!

Braai area on the stoep overlooking the water

Double without the rocks.  Daai gee man b(w)orshare.

All he needs is a Gunston cigarette.

Happy after a long day's riding.

No cellphones, No TV, No worries in the world. = Bliss!

Tickey organised Karoo Skaap Tjops, and Selme-Louise made us fresh home baked bread with regte plaasbotter and apricot Jam.  

Gentleman, we ate like kings, we drank like lords, and we slept like babies.  And this was only the beginning....

Distance for the day:  657km
Total Distance  1207km.

Note:  I will do a full write up about Duck and Dive on another Thread.  You got to do this one.  :thumleft: :thumleft:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 12:29:46 am by BOER! »

Offline BOER!

• Race Dog
  • What's Updog?
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2011, 12:10:18 am »
On that photo with the fire ... I see the coke ... don't see the klippies  :pot:

Dalk is die klippies al in hulle magies  >:D
Die klippies is in die wit plastiek "tot measure" agter die vuur, gooi Boer, ons wag, hoekom verniel julle dan die 800 so??

Ja nee kyk. Drank kan mens mos nie vir jou wegsteek nie.  :thumleft:

Offline Pistol

• Shop Mods
  • Race Dog
  • Henley on Klip
Re: Boer soek 'n Toer! Die Ride Report. Dag een en twee is op. Kom lees. Kom lees
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2011, 07:12:06 am »
Lekker Boer :thumleft:

Offline n0b0dy

• aka Tokolosh
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • HYBRID SYSTEM / OFF THE GRID!
    • Saving our world .... as we know it, little by little
Re: Boer soek 'n Toer! Die Ride Report. Dag een en twee is op. Kom lees. Kom lees
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2011, 07:36:39 am »
"After Luckhoff we get Vanderkloof dam and we stop on the centre spot where somebody gooi ‘n Donut!  As a Civil Engineer and Construction Manager, projects of this magnitude never ceases to amaze me. "

Ek het op Vanderkloof skool gegaan.
eens op n tyd was daar 15 (vyftien) leerlinge gewees. sub a tot std vyf. hectic man...

lekker RR .. ja vannie pic willie wyssie....
Registered Energy Services Company.

Online Fenderbender

• Race Dog
  • Robertson
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2011, 07:42:22 am »
On that photo with the fire ... I see the coke ... don't see the klippies  :pot:

Dalk is die klippies al in hulle magies  >:D
Die klippies is in die wit plastiek "tot measure" agter die vuur, gooi Boer, ons wag, hoekom verniel julle dan die 800 so??

:imaposer: :imaposer:  Lekker report Boer  :thumleft:

Ja nee kyk. Drank kan mens mos nie vir jou wegsteek nie.  :thumleft:

Offline Crop Sprang

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Mark It Zero
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2011, 07:53:12 am »
Subscribe
Whatever you're thinking, think the opposite

Offline SchalkL

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2011, 08:18:39 am »
BOER, watse kamera gebruik jy, nice foto's.
Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans

Offline BOER!

• Race Dog
  • What's Updog?
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2011, 08:22:10 am »
BOER, watse kamera gebruik jy, nice foto's.

Ek het net my Blackberry saamgevat.

Offline Kykdaar

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2011, 08:25:44 am »
 :thumleft:

Offline Frannarossi

• Race Dog
  • karoorooster@gmail.com
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2011, 08:30:43 am »
Lekker man,lekker :thumleft: .Daai Duck and Dive lyk na 'n moer nice plek om 'n nawekie te gaan spandeer!
If you don't live on the edge,you take up too much space!!!

Offline Sithe

• Race Dog
  • gewig versplasing
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2011, 10:08:04 am »
Where are you now ... I want to come and join right now .... too nice  :thumleft:
I operate at a level supreme to the devil

Offline Swart Baard

• Race Dog
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2011, 11:38:35 am »
Baie lekker RR  :thumleft:

En daai R1200 lyk nie biekie flippen mooi nie hoor  :mwink:
Mens leef net een keer. Doen dit nou of jy kry dalk nie later kans om dit te doen nie.