Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Boer soek 'n Toer! Die Ride Report. Day 5 complete.  (Read 4730 times)

Offline kyle05

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • ride it like you stole it
Re: Boer soek 'n Toer! Die Ride Report. Die begin....
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2011, 08:03:00 pm »
Eks ook in vir die RR :thumleft: .Waar kry julle daai koddige tentjies?

Ek maak en verkoop hulle.
sorry vir die hijack maar prys asb?
better be dead & cool as alive & uncool

Offline Royce

• Puppy
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Member of Ulysses Bloemfontein Chapter
Re: Boer soek 'n Toer! Die Ride Report. Dag een en twee is op. Kom lees. Kom lees
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2011, 04:51:10 pm »
Dankie vir al die inligting van my agterplaas. Sal seker maak dat die GS gebruik word en jou toer immetate. Dankie Royce.
Grow old disgracefully
BMW 1200 GS
Triumph Trophy 1200 (Sold 2012)
Kawasaki 650 KLR
BMW R100RS - Since sold Yamaha DT 180 - Given to kidds Yamaha RD 400 - Since sold Yamaha 125 - Traded in on above Yamaha 50 - written off

Offline Dctr46

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Re: Boer soek 'n Toer! Die Ride Report. Dag een en twee is op. Kom lees. Kom lees
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2011, 11:52:51 am »
Awesome  :ricky:
When in Doubt Gas IT !!!!  or Do You suffer from a sheers Lack of Sack !!!!!

2007-Raptor 700R
2008-ltz 400 2006-ltz 400

Offline BOER!

• is 'n GS neersletterende
  • Race Dog
  • What's Updog?
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2011, 03:56:27 pm »
Sorry guys. Been hectic at work.  More coming soon!
My hart kom affie plaas, Waar die Wind en die Son en die Stilte my speelmaats was.

Everybody falls off. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.

Offline Tosser

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2011, 07:36:39 pm »
Cmon boertjie, waar is die res, HUH!???  :thumleft:

Offline BOER!

• Race Dog
  • What's Updog?
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2011, 10:34:07 pm »
Day 4

I wake up at 2am with the wind howling and rukking and plukking at the tents..  Justin is snoring away.  The slight drizzle has become much harder now and it has been a constant rain for at least an hour.

I get out of my tent, and the rain stops for a few minutes.  I gather up my ATTGAT, and stuff it in the tent in an attempt to have dry clothing for the next day.  I take a walk down to the stream to get water, and fill up my Camelback at the same time. 

A river runs through it.   This is the little stream I went to at 2am in the morning.  

As I am filling my camelback with water from the stream, I am sure I can hear footsteps.  It's slow and not constant but I can definetly hear the rocks as if something is coming towards me. And suddenly, Lower down, I hear more footsteps.  I nearly kak myself and switch my torch off quickly.  My mind is racing. (I am still a bit under the influence from all that Solo Brandy drinking)  I am now sorry I didn't take the time to read the information pamflet that I got at the Tankwa offices.  Shit!  What animals could they have here that would...... OH Flippit! :o   I should've read that manual.  The footsteps are now all over and it sounds like I am surrounded.  I switch my headlamp on again, and light up and down the stream, expecting to see eyes surrounding me.   Nothing. I switch it off again, and I listen.  Now, It's silent again. I wait a few seconds.  And then more sounds..... But the "footsteps" now sounds familiar, different.  It actually sounds like a windmill gnashing in the wind.  That is what I heard, and it simply echoed up and down the stream.  I feel like a complete idiot and laugh at myself as I head back to Camp Wetness.

I get back to my tent, and I hope the rain stays away. Ag PLEASE!   Just as I get back in the tent, the heavens open up and it is really pissing down on us.  I try to get some sleep, but I am worried about mud the next morning, and Justin's ribs is still hurting.

Hier kom moeilikheid!  This I know for sure.  Adventure riding at itís best.

Our neighbours packing up and leaving early next morning.   They also had enough of the water.  Note the windmill to the right. That's the beast I heard last night.  LOL

The muddy tracks they leave behind makes me worry allready.  Itís still raining down hard, the wind is howling, and we have at least another hourís packing to do.  I am starting to get worried we wonít even be able to get out of here.

Our campsite in the moring.  Wet wet wet.

All of our kit is soaked.

What was solid last night, is now a sludge mud bath.  Everywhere I step, I pick up more mud on my boots.

Justin battling the wind monster.

Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light.   About 15km straight ahead of us, the sun is shining brightly.   We are trapped in a kloof where the water is forced down on us.  I know we have to get out of here.

The next 6kms takes us close to an hour of mud-duckwalking in first gear all the way.  As soon as I lift my feet onto the footpegs, the bike starts to slide all over.  Luckilly I keep it upright, but leaves me panting.  And I canít see boggerol.  If I close the visor, it fogs up.  If I open it, the raindrops sting my eyes and my face.

And I constantly have to walk back and help Justin push his bike through certain sections as well.  Flippin pakdonkie 800GS.

Eventually, after about an hour, I give a sigh of relief.  We have reached the river crossing, and on the other side the ground is firmer.  Even though itís still wet, itís not just mud like on the other side.  I can at least hook the second gear.

It was raining constantly all the way here, so no photos....
My hart kom affie plaas, Waar die Wind en die Son en die Stilte my speelmaats was.

Offline BOER!

• Race Dog
  • What's Updog?
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2011, 10:45:52 pm »
We pass the spot where Justin had his off the afternoon before. It now feels a lifetime ago.  And the tracks are allready washed away by last nights rain.

Give me hope, Johanna!  The rain clears, and the roads are firmer again.  I think weíve made it.

Justin is out of his comfort zone, but still shows a thumbs up.  I kinda pushed my buddy a bit here, but when we talk about this trip, THIS part is what he remembers best.  That is what adventure riding means to me.

Happy to be out of the rain.  Note my ďswartsakĒ raincoat under my Attgat.  It worked, I tell you.

Justin putting distance between the campsite and ourselves.  You can see the kloof where we were trapped in the rain.

The Langkloof campsite is nested in between two massive mountains on both side. (as seen in the background) The clouds forming over the mountains are blown across, and as soon as the clouds blow over the kloof, it dips very fast and cools down.  It explains why we were getting pissed on in the kloof,  while we could see the sun shining 15kmís ahead, on the open vlaktes.

At last the sun is shining.  But another reality sets in.  The clouds on top of the mountains are right over Gannaga Pass.  I donít want to risk doing this pass in the wet, so we have to detour to the Rodewerf Road towards Calvinia.  We will be skipping Middelpos today.  Agge nee man.

Sunlight on my face

More clouds rolling in.  Gannaga is definetly not happening today

We check in at the office.  They recorded an Inch and a half of rain overnight.   :P

Offline BOER!

• Race Dog
  • What's Updog?
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2011, 11:06:08 pm »
I leave the office with a heavy heart.  I really wanted to do Gannaga Pass, and Middelpos, and on the way I planned to stop over at MOF. 

Ag well, Ja no Fine.  Like I said earlier,  I have to accept and take it as it comes, hey.

So we head up to the Rodewerf Road.  At least I get a photo where the road splits towards Gannaga Pass/Calvinia. 

And My Word, It does look promising, doesn't it?

It's obvious this area had a lot of overnight rain as well, with certain areas giving me a lekker slide followed by a groot skrik!

Even though it's not raining, the roads are slippery and more clouds are rolling in. Just look at that view!!

Justin is doing all right and not in too much pain.  But he still doesn't get off his bike.  Hehehe

I find this here when I stop to take a leak, and I think Heimer has been here....

A farmboy at heart, this photo reminds me of how farm people have to make do with whatever form of energy is available.  Look at the multiple energy resources.  Windmill, solar power, Diesel, and Generating 12v with wind as well

Just ahead in the road from where I took thisw photo, we get another washed away river crossing.  It obviously rained more here last night.

The Rodewerf Road is not too busy, but we encounter Gauteng Tourists, but that photo is too blurry.  The old toppie driving the car shakes his head and points at my bike. Julle is mal om met die goed hier in die modder te kom rondry!! he tells me.  But his eyes are lying.  I can see he wishes he was along with us on this trip.  Every time we stop to take a photo, they catch up with us and he waives cheerfully. But I can see his wife is a long tall glass of sour milk.  Shame.  >:D

Here we are now.  Entertain us!  The Ceres/Calvinia Road.  It promised us more rain, and it didn't dissapoint.

Offline BOER!

• Race Dog
  • What's Updog?
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2011, 11:21:07 pm »
Mudder gum on my boots today.  Our feet are soak inside our boots.  When we got dressed, we had to stand outside the tent anyway and our socks got soaked.  Not much waterproof boots could do to prevent wet feet.

Since I have started traveling off road, I loath Tar roads.  I find them long, boring, and tedious to ride.  They wear me out twice as fast as any gravel road.
But,
with all the rain and mud and sliding from left lane, to right lane to centre lane on the gravel highway towards Calvinia, I find myself screaming with joy when I finally see the sure promise of grey Tarmac about 700m ahead of me.

But I was mistaken.  It's blue shale rock, used to build the Blaauwkrantz Pass.  :biggrin:  Oh well more wet gravel then

I stop to take a photo of the road surface, but my hands are so numb, I never pushed the button.  I only realised it later.  This photo above I took of the long leaning turns that are on the Blaauwkrants Road.  Pure bliss.  I open the throttle a bit and enjoying myself more and more.

As soon as we start climbing up on the pass, it starts to rain again.  That kind of constant drizzling rain that farmers love so much.

Today, I didn't like it that much.  The temprature drops, and add windchill factor to that,  pretty soon my hands are numb and i can't feel them

Then I get pins and needles in my left hand and I pull over and pull the gloves off. No wonder I can't feel my hands. My fingers are freezing.  Justin's bike shows the temprature as ZERO.  Then add windchill factor.

On this road I had so many close calls, my arse was eating my underwear.  It must've looked like Joost's onderbroek in that video.

I count down every 100m towards Calvinia.  I am freezing cold, can't feel my hands or my feet, and the rain is stinging my face. But,  I am still having the time of my LIFE!

By the time we reach Calvinia, it is 13h30.  It took us 5 and a half hours to do 130km's.  We fill up and go look for food.

Offline BOER!

• Race Dog
  • What's Updog?
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2011, 11:46:35 pm »
In Calvinia, we find a very nice restaurant called 250 Myl.  The friendly tannie shakes her head as we leave a mud and drip trail behind us.  She switches on the gas heater and we hog the whole thing to ourselves.  We hang all our kit out over chairs around the heater to get them as dry as possible.

It's decision time.  Justin want's to book a guesthouse right here, right now.  He is sore and cold.  I check on my phone for a weather update, and it seems up north the sun is shining a bit more.  Verneukpan was my intention for camp tonite.  Verneukpan temprature shows 28 degrees.

I convince Justin, that we should push on, and get to Verneuk pan.  It will be better from there.  He reluctantly agrees.

250 myl.  Hallo Liefie.  We don't have much signal elsewhere in the Karoo and whenever we do, we used it to check in on the loved ones, and take care of some business.

My rear rim picked up some stone on the Blaaukrantz Pass.

So we have a bite to eat.  We drink plenty of sherries to warm us up.  And away we go.  To get Justin to agree to continue for the day, I promised we could stick to tar towards Brandvlei.

150kms of crosswinds cooling us down even more.  It batters and shatters us, and by the time we reach Brandvlei, I surrender.  It's allready 15h30.  It's another 2hours ride to verneuk pan, and we will most probably reach it by dark tonite.  Then we have to pitch all our gear again, which is still wet from this mornings fiasco.  

WE agree to book in the Brandvlei Hotel.  Good choice.   :thumleft:

The Hilton Hotel, (for us that is)

The owner is very friendly and very helpfull.  R190 pppn.  Plus R100 for Supper and breakfast.  Plus he offers to put a bar heater in the room to heat us up, and he would get his wife to take all our clothes home and get them in the tumble drier.  Please guys, go support Brandvlei Hotel.  What a pleasure.

He also insist we park our bikes on the stoep outside our bedroom

We both take a warm bath, (we had to wait for the geyser for a while) we start packing our kit all over  in the room with the bar heater on full blast.  We are allready feeling better and in high spirits and off to the bar we go.

Justin is striking up conversation with this old toppie.  He walked in sober, ordered a Black Label Quart, and with every sip he slurred more and more.  With his last sip he mumbled good nite, let go off the bar, and swayed out the door completely knackered.  I had a good laugh watching Justin trying to figure this guy out.   :imaposer:

The dining room.  Red Lark Restaurant.  Not much at first Glance....

But the food that comes out of there.   :o  This meal cost R65 and included desert after.  :thumleft:

We went to bed early.  We felt warm again, enough sherry consumed, and our kit was allready drying in the room.  All our wet clothing was on it's way to the owner's house.

Tomorrow, another Highlight awaited.  Verneuk pan!!!

Distance for the day:  300km

Total so far:  1905km.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 11:52:45 pm by BOER! »

Offline Dikdaan

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Nie so dik nie Daan "Centurion"
Re: Boer soek 'n Toer! Die Ride Report. Day 3 and 4 completed.
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2011, 08:30:52 am »
 :thumleft: Mooi fotos Boer.
2020 BMW R1250GSA

Offline punisher

• Lolly LickerÖ i love to lick lollies
  • Grey hound
  • somph
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2011, 08:37:17 am »
lekkkkerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline Kerritz

• KTSSSSK!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • What a SUPER-loss....DAMMIT man!
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2011, 09:26:54 am »
 :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Vorige skoeters: XT660E, TL1000R, 2006 R1200GSA, 2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Anniversary, CRF450R, CRF450X, DRZ400SM, 950 Adventure, 990 SuperDuke (ISM) 2012 R1200GS Triple Black, F800GS, Wolskoeter!

Kaapse Jelly Tot!

Offline BOER!

• Race Dog
  • What's Updog?
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2011, 09:29:30 am »
Flippen hell, it takes a long time to do these ride reports!!

Offline Lynn

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Perspective is often found from a mountain top
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2011, 12:56:33 pm »
Lekker Boer!   :thumleft:
More gas you say.....

Offline Frannarossi

• Race Dog
  • karoorooster@gmail.com
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2011, 12:58:57 pm »
+1
Lekker Boer,gooi daai res :thumleft:
If you don't live on the edge,you take up too much space!!!

Offline BOER!

• Race Dog
  • What's Updog?
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2011, 01:02:58 pm »
Coming soon.

Day 5.   :biggrin:

Offline Gee S

« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2011, 01:46:59 pm »
Lekker Boer! Moet nou net nie weer so lank vat voor jy die res opsit nie. :thumleft:
All that wander are not lost