Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: SEE-DECIDE-REACT  (Read 535 times)

Offline Avon

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
SEE-DECIDE-REACT
« on: June 12, 2007, 12:21:31 pm »
Some clever people say that normal reaction time to SEE-DECIDE-REACT is 1.6 seconds. Travelling at 250 km/hour you would have travelled roughly 110 meters while making a decision on what actions to take. (This oneā??s a fact).  As you grow older you can then also expect this reaction time to increase.

In other words travelling at more or less the allowed highway speed limit of 120 km/hour would still require the 1.6 seconds - and 55 meters.

If you ride a RT (hehehehe) at top speed of 62.5 k/hour it would then require the same 1.6 seconds reaction time - and 22.5 meters.

Letā??s say you decide to brake during the SEE-DECIDE-REACT phase, you better hope you made the right choice even on the RT.

You may dispute the above as my math not up to scratch, but, I do not want to test the theory and always keep a safe following distance.
"always try to improve the nut between the handlebar and seat."

Offline Rat

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
Re: SEE-DECIDE-REACT
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 07:45:17 am »
I think you are about spot on as I had to test the theory on my flight off the Franschoek pass. I knew I could not make the second sharp left hand bend and had the bike skidding on the tar but was heading fot the gravel and the edge. I dropped the bike on the left hand side which I believe was faster than 1,6sec and went over the edge dropping some 24 meters. On putting my bike down, I must have knocked myself out as I don't remember going over the edge and am here to tell the tale with only a broken tooth. ( See the terminator is terminated.)

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 08:57:32 am »
Unless your name is Jabu69, then you would only need about 20 metres to stop from 230kph, on sand!!! ;D ;D
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Stephan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • bwk
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 06:21:15 pm »
Unless your name is Jabu69, then you would only need about 20 metres to stop from 230kph, on sand!!! ;D ;D
Adv you got it wrong, according to his reckoning only woofters need to brake!  ;) ;)
Hard reality does not often coincide with the people's wishes - Nelson Mandela

Offline Runner

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R Rally
  • Willearea
    • Off Road Cycles
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 06:46:50 pm »

Met net 'n agterrem
OFF ROAD CYCLES:
012 333 6443/087 808 3649/ 087 808 3650
WhattApp 082 823 4714 | info@offroadcycles.co.za
22 Blesbok Ave, Koedoespoort Industrial, Pretoria.

Offline The TRANSPORTER

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 07:33:03 am »

ag wat sommer sy boot op die agterwiel......new ABS???
I told her i was married, she said 'me too, who cares, lets ride!'