Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: No more grey imports - Why it should stay  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Trumpet

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
Re: No more grey imports - Why it should stay
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2011, 03:01:28 pm »
The only issue of concern for me would be with recalls. If the bike is imported through the official importers they will have records of to which dealer the bike went & from there to whom it was sold. Makes tracing the bike for factory recalls a lot easier. Grey & parallel importers do not get notified by the factory of the need for the recall & have no record of which bike went to whom!
You cannot change what is, But you can change your perception of what is, And if you change your perception of what is, Then you actually change what is.

Offline Inprogress

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Life's to short to be an adult!
    • Umfanjana Films
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2011, 04:18:30 pm »
Where are the Grey importers, or don't we have any grey importers on WD?

What is your local Grey importer saying?
If an idle mind is the devil's workshop, then a busy mind is God's canvas

Offline Skipskop

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • ;-)
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2011, 10:54:53 pm »
Rehaan Coetzee, director of the Association of Motorcycle Importers and Distributors (Amid), said the new standards were all related to safety-critical components on motorcycles. "So that means lights, brakes and emissions control," Mr Coetzee said last week.

So what about all the China scooters do they comply to the above ,I think not :eek7:
" Of all the things I lost in life, what I miss the most, is my mind"
DRZ 400 E ,1200GS WR450- KLR650 Side-car
Yamaha CV80 Beluga
"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing"
"Old age is not for the inexperienced" "If you haven't grown up by age 50 , you don`t have to"

Offline lecap

« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2011, 08:49:06 am »
Thank you sir, good doing business with you. Please call again if you need more spares.
:thumleft: Yebo! That shows brand commitment!
Currently Kawa SA has no stock of even the basics on some models. :'(

Yes, and then it's models that THEY even bring in !

I do not agree.
Bought a full stack of parts required for a top end rebuild & OS rebore for a KLR650 last week. Not only on the shelf at KMSA but at the local dealer (Suzuki South). From my experience the spares situation of Suzuki SA and KMSA has improved dramatically since I took over Le Cap in 2000.

IMHO the importers and my local parts supplier Suzuki South are doing a good job and that's why I support them and buy official imports through them.

I don't want to say ban grey imports or ban parallel imports but if you decide to go and buy one of them don't moan if the agents give you "second rate service" as in not keeping stock of parts or not having a parts catalog for your bike. Rather be prepared to mail order your spares on the internet and get them airmailed to you from Europe or the US.

Good luck if you need something for a Jap. market model like the various downbore 400's ::)
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2011, 09:12:44 am »
I do not agree.
Bought a full stack of parts required for a top end rebuild & OS rebore for a KLR650 last week. Not only on the shelf at KMSA but at the local dealer (Suzuki South). From my experience the spares situation of Suzuki SA and KMSA has improved dramatically since I took over Le Cap in 2000.
Probably local agent then...  :-[

Offline Berty77

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Africa Twin = GROOT KLR
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2011, 02:41:29 pm »
1. If the Official Importers' prices were competitive, then we wouldn't be having this discusion.
2. Its not like the parallel importers don't do marketing and advertising, and they do offer after sales services.
3. This is a monopoly thing, plain and simple.
Skaap tjops, Lammie se kerrie wors en Klein Karoo sterre;
dis mos die lewe!

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2011, 02:43:29 pm »
1. If the Official Importers' prices were competitive, then we wouldn't be having this discusion.
2. Its not like the parallel importers don't do marketing and advertising, and they do offer after sales services.
3. This is a monopoly thing, plain and simple.
I agree, strange how they can legislate this while at the same time have anti monopolistic legislation... must be job creation for lawyers... >:D :mwink:

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2011, 01:11:59 pm »
I stopped believing in the world as a globle village.  It works only when it suits certain individuals.  For example, I want to buy an apple ipod from say Amazon, I can't because that is what Apple says. I want to buy something from Touratech, Germany, I can't.  They refer me to Touratech SA who charge me an arm and a leg to buy any thing.  
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 01:12:51 pm by Mzee »
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere