No more grey imports - Why it should stay

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think about grey importers

• farkin 'A' man - keeps dealers honest

Votes: 50 89.3%
  • Not-a-fark - only trust dealers

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Bike
Vespa (all models)
Please keep this threat topical and to the point with as far as possible objective.

If we can list enough objective reasons for the move to ban grey imports we can start a petition on Avaaz. I wanted to send them the info but it is better to get it off the ground if we can list the reasons for the grey import market being a good thing.

Also, I'm not against change, maybe instead of a total ban, the importers should have to provide a warranty of some sort on bikes and spares - possibly just ting in to the consumer act 

I know Track & Tar will have to close their door. Megabike et al.

For consistency please place your comments under one or all of the following headings:

- Reason(s) grey imports are important to South Africa
- Reason(s) grey imports are bad for South Africa
- Suggestions to make the grey import market better

Thank you.

Link to post about Business Day news:
https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=78428.0;topicseen

Link to Business Day
https://www.businessday.co.za/Articles/Content.aspx?id=153234

New standards to affect ‘grey’ motorcycle importers

National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications has published a list of compulsory minimum standards for motor-cycles
ALEXANDER PARKER
Published: 2011/09/13 08:13:42 AM
THE National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications (NRCS) has published a list of compulsory minimum standards for motor-cycles, probably the deciding blow in a years-long wrangle for control of the motorcycle market between factory-approved motorcycle importers and dealers, and independent parallel, or "grey" importers.

The new standards will have a severe effect on parallel motorcycle importers, as it will be impossible to homologate such products to the new local standards. As a result of the compulsory standards, the NRCS is allowed to call for a certificate of compliance to the new compulsory standards, which the parallel importers will not be in a position to provide. This certificate is provided by the manufacturer.

Rehaan Coetzee, director of the Association of Motorcycle Importers and Distributors (Amid), said the new standards were all related to safety-critical components on motorcycles. "So that means lights, brakes and emissions control," Mr Coetzee said last week.

"We’ve been agitating for this for more than two years. We’re very happy. It makes the consumer safer. We’re very excited about the compulsory standards."

Mr Coetzee said previous safety standards on motorcycles were voluntary. Amid speaks on behalf of factory-approved dealers, importers and distributors.

Riaan Fourie, national sales manager at Honda SA, said the published compulsory standards were "really good news".

"Approved distributors can support customers and look after them properly. It’s great news for customers," Mr Fourie said.

However, for the parallel (grey) importers, whom the factories will not furnish with proof of compliance, the news is very serious indeed.

"I won’t be able to carry on importing," said Chris Havvas, who owns Megabike in Randburg.

"We won’t be able to offer the prices we’ve been offering for 15 years." Mr Havvas said he had been in business for 34 years and "a parallel importer for 15 years".

"I have been able to sell a top-end bike for R30000 to R40000 cheaper than the dealers and still make a profit. We’ve forced the importers to keep their prices down."

Mr Havvas said Amid had been trying to close his business for years. "If I told you the lengths they have gone to shut me down you’d say I was making it up."

He said the news was "of no surprise", and that the likelihood was that he would "probably close down" his business with the loss of "a few" jobs. "And I’m not the only guy in the game," he said.

Mr Havvas said the result of the new regulations would mean "prices will go up. There’ll be no more competition any more. The consumer will end up paying more."

[email protected]