Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bike Service Labour rates  (Read 1240 times)

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: Bike Service Labour rates
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2011, 12:35:47 am »
I would pay R250-R350 /hour without blinking an eyelid.Phone Harley and ask them for a labour quote?? :mwink:
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline Trumpet

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2011, 06:43:40 am »
All the work done at the agents is to a table set out by the manufacturer
you guys must remember that the special tools and computers that are needed to work on the modern day bikes is very expensive and have to be upgraded constantly
Look at the big picture and you bike be worth a lot more when you want to sell or trade it in at a later date.
Do you think that when you send your tax return inn and they charge you big bucks, that top accountant has done your return ???
well i can tell you that the junior sitting in the back has done it for him !!

All the work supposedly done at the agents is to a table set out by the manufacturer. That's the reality. In theory they are supposed to follow the table. In reality very few do. In fact, none, in my experience. That self same table you refer to also states the number of hours for the work. Another example - my Daytona is supposed to have the steering head bearings regreased at 20k km's, 40 k km's etc. Bike went for it's 20k service, being a pita customer I hung around. Steering head not done, but I'm charge the full hours for the service? After a "discussion" 4 hours of labour were removed from the bill. Cables weren't lubed either, clutch freeplay not checked etc. etc. I got charge for a new airfilter, except I have a BMC fitted which wasn't even cleaned & re-oiled!!

Thanks but no thanks, as stated I'll do 90% of it myself, other work only goes to a trusted workshop whom I have a good long standing relationship with.
You cannot change what is, But you can change your perception of what is, And if you change your perception of what is, Then you actually change what is.

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2011, 07:20:49 am »
What is all the hooha about.
A mechanic can charge R1000 per hour if he wants to. To survive and keep his clients he will have to be very good
in which case he will probably keep his client base. Without your moaning and pissing. He knows his opposition very well and their standard. Pricing and quality of work.
I used to have a small  BIC business. I am proud to say I were considered expensive. I only bothered with the more upmarket type kitchens etc. Not that the profit was so much more but for the satisfaction of delivering a quality product. The joy of standing back at the end of the day and admiring my own work. Downside of these upmarket kitchens is that a small mistake could evaporate your hoped for profit easily  :mwink:
Some of my prospective customers thought they could "force my hand" by showing me quotes halve the price of mine  :imaposer:
Usually the guy with a venter trailer behind his car and a jigsaw. I always made an effort to give these cheap quotes a glowing reference to be sure they gave the work to the cheapie.  It is lekker when you don't have to spend money on advertising. Your work is your advert :ricky:
I wonder what price bikes the moaners ride?? Would be interesting to see.  R150000 bike + cheap service = :o
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline bronzy

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • the older i get the faster i was !!!
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2011, 09:15:15 am »
you guys must remember that the special tools and computers that are needed to work on the modern day bikes is very expensive and have to be upgraded constantly
Look at the big picture and you bike be worth a lot more when you want to sell or trade it in at a later date.
Do you think that when you send your tax return inn and they charge you big bucks, that top accountant has done your return ???

All the work supposedly done at the agents is to a table set out by the manufacturer. That's the reality. In theory they are supposed to follow the table. In reality very few do. In fact, none, in my experience. That self same table you refer to also states the number of hours for the work. Another example - my Daytona is supposed to have the steering head bearings regreased at 20k km's, 40 k km's etc. Bike went for it's 20k service, being a pita customer I hung around. Steering head not done, but I'm charge the full hours for the service? After a "discussion" 4 hours of labour were removed from the bill. Cables weren't lubed either, clutch freeplay not checked etc. etc. I got charge for a new airfilter, except I have a BMC fitted which wasn't even cleaned & re-oiled!!

Thanks but no thanks, as stated I'll do 90% of it myself, other work only goes to a trusted workshop whom I have a good long standing relationship with.
cases like this should be reported to the importers so it can taken up with the dealerand they can loose the franchise

Offline Plaashaas

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2011, 11:38:45 am »
Runner - I do 90% of the work myself for precisely the reasons I stated earlier in the thread!

That which I cannot do - either due to a lack of knowledge, time, or correct equipment I take the bikes to my "preferred" workshops & am more than happy to pay.

The earlier post I made - I'm one of those pita customers who will hang around whilst my bike is being worked on. The experience I related actually happened. An oil change/minor service on the bike took 5 hours. Simply because they were working on 4 different bikes simultaneously. I b!tched about the 5 hour labour charge - it was reduced to 2 hours which I was told was "standard" for that type of service. Then I asked why part of the work required by the service schedule wasn't done, like lubing the cables etc. I was told it's not necessary. This was at an official dealer!! Last time they saw my bike.

I've happily paid R500 an hour - I understand all to clearly the cost of premises, tools, staff etc. & have no problem paying for quality service, but don't charge me qualified labour rates for an appie to work on my bike, let alone for the workshop cleaner to work on my bike.

Examples - I was quoted R1500-00 to do a fork service on my sons KX if I took the loose forks in. Excluding parts, so that's just labour. Parts cost me R480-00 for new seals & bushes. Time taken by me was 2 hours. Having never done it before. With more experience it would have taken less time - I did my CRF's forks a few weeks later, time taken 1 hour. So a "qualified" workshop wanted to charge me R1000-00 an hour? WTF?

I do forks, including labour, seals and oil for R980, on or off the bike, next time bring it, and you can have a beer while you wait :thumleft:

Kyk runner is goed en goedkoop maar nog nooit 'n bier geoffer nie (My TA en 800 was al daar paar keer)?? WTF :biggrin: :biggrin:
Current rides: F800GS x 2

Id rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.

Offline Trumpet

• Pack Dog
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2011, 01:24:32 pm »

cases like this should be reported to the importers so it can taken up with the dealerand they can loose the franchise

A bit pointless when the dealership isn't a franchise but is owned by the importers holding company!
You cannot change what is, But you can change your perception of what is, And if you change your perception of what is, Then you actually change what is.

Offline Dux

« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2011, 02:07:14 pm »
I presume you are referring to a Triumph Daytona , to the best of my knowledge none of the Triumph dealerships are owned by the importers or their holding company , Arnold Olivier at KMSA is the person to contact if you have issues .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Trumpet

• Pack Dog
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2011, 02:58:23 pm »
I presume you are referring to a Triumph Daytona , to the best of my knowledge none of the Triumph dealerships are owned by the importers or their holding company , Arnold Olivier at KMSA is the person to contact if you have issues .

Arnold is a mate! :) One of their stores (if not more) is company owned. It was thanks to Arnold & Gavin at KMSA that the problems I had got sorted. Both of them are top classs blokes and an asset to the business as far as I'm concerned!

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2011, 03:03:51 pm »

Arnold is a mate! :) One of their stores (if not more) is company owned. It was thanks to Arnold & Gavin at KMSA that the problems I had got sorted. Both of them are top classs blokes and an asset to the business as far as I'm concerned!

4ways??
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Dux

« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2011, 03:39:15 pm »

Agreed , Arnold and Gavin are both excellent people .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell