Wilderness weekend. By car.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_wes

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Harley Davidson (all models)
Okey dokey, so after Nico was kind enough to give us his voucher for 2 nights in the Wilderness beach hotel (Nico is the man), the_wife and I headed there this weekend for some reeee-lax-ation.

We decided to take the old man's car (on his offer) as we were both feeling a little sick, and the weather wasn't promising much. So, I apologise for the "car" report, however, Nico's 2 conditions were "go by bike, post a report". 1 out of 2 ain't bad  ;D

We left on Saturday at about lunchtime, it rained pretty hard in places, but only until we went through Robertson (we drove that way round as opposed to N2 all the way) where it cleared up nicely. And stayed that way. all bladdy weekend.  :-[ in the words of some DS riders we met in Knysna - "now you're pissed off you didn't bring your boney hey!!" how true. (met these guys by chance, riding around Knysna on the Sunday we saw these DS bikes and said, hey, you guys wouldn't happen to be wild dogs would you? no mate, we're part of the titty twisters! long story...)

Anyhoo, settled into the hotel on Saturday afternoon/evening, and basically just chilled.

Sunday we went exploring, left Wilderness towards Knysna, turning off the N2 to take the scenic route and finding a lovely dirt pass that seemed to go on forever through the most beautiful remote places. Yes, I had to ride dirt, albeit in a car. I couldn't help it.

Cruised around Knysna a bit, went to Sedgefield, had some coffee/lunch at a little coffee shop by the beach in Sedgefield, and headed back to the hotel where we splashed out on ourselves with a well deserved foot/head/back/neck/shoulders massage at the hotel's hydro  ;D ;D ;D followed by a nice dinner at the hotel's little irish-themed pub

Monday we headed home, enjoying a 6 hour trip as the car's clutch decided to give hassles and we spent an hour and a half in George at the Hyundai garage, only for them to tell us they can't help us today the clutch needs overhauling, I must just take it easy back to Cape Town. Another bladdy reason to take the bike next time!

Anyways, almost home and the rain hit again, so my regret faded and I looked back on a lekker relaxing weekend with the_wife...

(Side note: heading out that way again in July to Knysna for the Oyster festival. Bike + dirt it will be this time, promise!)

Some pics:

The weather:
dsc02287gw1.jpg

Things you can't do on the bike. At least not without a strap attaching your pillion to you:
dsc02294rr8.jpg

Can't have a ride report without some dirt:
dsc02327jv6.jpg

Got to go back here on the_dakar sometime:
dsc02329ta6.jpg

the_wife:
dsc02331to2.jpg

the_wes:
dsc02332cl2.jpg

and now, some nice panoramic pics for you, the first 3 from our hotel room, the last one from the lookout point as you leave Wilderness in the direction of Cape Town:

panoramicdsc02312tk0.jpg

panoramicdsc02320za3.jpg

panoramicdsc02350ht4.jpg

panoramicdsc02363sp6.jpg