Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Carnets in southern africa  (Read 724 times)

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Get busy living or get busy dying
Carnets in southern africa
« on: September 15, 2011, 04:25:06 pm »
Can anyone with REAL recent experience and knowledge please advise on this.
I've always used a carnet when traveling in southern africa. But is it still necessary (i've heard a few reports of people not using them and having no issues at all) countries i'm heading to - Mozam, Malawi, Tanzania, Zambia.

Anyone with solid advise?
 :thumleft:
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
Re: Carnets in southern africa
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 04:33:12 pm »
no issue anywhere except Egypt for the rest no need.

But you would need Comesa Insurance the AA is selling in SA and is screwing us blind. You can buy from a guy in Zambia Dan Nkonde dnkonde@zsic.co.zm +026 095586663 he can send to you. It's cheaper to buy for a few countries than pay for insurance at each country border.

Offline charlw

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 08:52:43 am »
Comesa is no longer valid until Namibia come on board. They are holding up the works. Your third party insurance from home will suffice for those countries. Ask your broker to prepare a letter and specify the countries. You will be asked for this in Moz and Malawi. They only look for their coutries name and when they see it, they let you proceed.

Do not buy the Comesa at the Malawi/ Tanzania border. Big con.
The traveler sees what he sees.  The tourist sees what he has come to see.  ~G.K. Chesterton

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 03:42:35 am »
Oh how nice it would be if I did not need Carnet for Southern African countries.  USA registered bike any good information as to if I can get away with out one.  My information (Canadian Automobile Association) is that I need one.  I will make a few contacts and see if I can get any good info.

Soon to be headed your way
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"

Offline Krip

• Puppy
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
    • www.rideforsmiles.com
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 03:21:20 pm »
I talked to the AA guys here in South Africa last week September the 9th 2011 and they no longer do the comesa insurance  you have to get them in Lusaka apparently
The Reward for Choice is Freedom

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 01:12:16 pm »
I talked to the AA guys here in South Africa last week September the 9th 2011 and they no longer do the comesa insurance  you have to get them in Lusaka apparently

Lusaka? - is there nowhere in SA one can get it now?
Ja/Nee

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 01:17:14 pm »
Can anyone with REAL recent experience and knowledge please advise on this.
I've always used a carnet when traveling in southern africa. But is it still necessary (i've heard a few reports of people not using them and having no issues at all) countries i'm heading to - Mozam, Malawi, Tanzania, Zambia.

Anyone with solid advise?
 :thumleft:

I went to the South of the Sudan and never had one and returned safely.  No questions asked.  But that was 2010. ;D Check story here: http://mzee-jaki.blogspot.com/2009/10/everyone-has-dream.html
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 01:20:29 pm by Mzee »
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere