Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Will the Aprillia Taureg be the Ultimate DS bike we have been asking for???  (Read 1329 times)

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
Re: Will the Aprillia Taureg be the Ultimate DS bike we have been asking for???
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 03:43:53 pm »
what you guys need to remember, is just because an illustration or photochop of a bike hits the web, doesn't mean that A. it's from the manufacturer or B. it's actually going into production

This "Tuareg" is some arb guy's photochop based on a rumour that Aprilia are making a twin cylinder adventure bike. Don't read too much into it  :deal:

Kola?

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 04:22:49 pm »
what you guys need to remember, is just because an illustration or photochop of a bike hits the web, doesn't mean that A. it's from the manufacturer or B. it's actually going into production

This "Tuareg" is some arb guy's photochop based on a rumour that Aprilia are making a twin cylinder adventure bike. Don't read too much into it  :deal:

NOU vertel jy ons...

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 04:35:28 pm »

NOU vertel jy ons...

any "concept art" needs to be taken with a pinch of salt  :thumleft:

recognise the fairing and front mudgaurs? how about the swingarm and engine?

Offline Pote

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 04:48:13 pm »

The picture was actually first shown by Aprilia about their plan to build a D/S bike, also they mentioned a 21’’ front rim

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 04:55:36 pm »

The picture was actually first shown by Aprilia about their plan to build a D/S bike, also they mentioned a 21’’ front rim

aaah, I was not aware of that. Do you know the source?

Kola?

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, 06:45:39 pm »
any "concept art" needs to be taken with a pinch of salt  :thumleft:

NOOIT!!!

REALLY?!

Surely if there is a picture on the www it must be true?

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2011, 09:07:06 pm »
There is no "ultimate" D/S bike. It is an impossibility. The spectrum stretches from YZ250 to YZF1000R. How can anything ever get close to either?

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2011, 08:01:43 am »
I still think that the those RXV V twins could/should evolve into the ultimate DS Bike!

Imagine a 650 or even 800 version with say small mods to the engine to make them less highly strung and extend the service intervals, and a bigger tank!

Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • President T7 fanclub
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2011, 10:40:40 am »
Well if anyone one is going to build something proper it will be the Italians, look at the RXV totally bonkers and it sold about 10 units but who cares they still built and raced it.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline DR BIG 750

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2011, 08:26:52 pm »
The AFRICA DUEL SPORTSTER
twin shox, twin drum air cooled

Offline spokie

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • pretoria
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2011, 12:42:16 am »
Ag ja... too late but here is my contribution  :P

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2011, 01:10:15 am »
1200cc is a touring bike, not an "adventure" bike... well in my book any how, use it dont use it :-p
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2011, 07:31:39 am »
The Aprilla RVX Motor.  Engineering art, as only the Italians are capable of.

More RVX photo's here for those that are interested.  http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/aprilia-rxv/ke2047-pictures.html

I cant understand why these bikes haven't sold better - 112kg 60HP 450 and the 550 is 70HP - they did quite well in the Dakar last year - apparently one of the more reliable 450's.

Just wish they would think about a 650 six gear adventure version - would pretty close to the ultimate DS bike IMO!

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2011, 07:37:33 am »
I cant understand why these bikes haven't sold better - 112kg 60HP 450 and the 550 is 70HP - they did quite well in the Dakar last year - apparently one of the more reliable 450's.

1) Price
2) Maintenance
3) Reliability early on in the model range
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2011, 07:52:02 am »
112kg 60HP 450 and the 550 is 70HP

Twin engine in a bike weighing only 112kg   :o :o

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2011, 08:12:00 am »

1) Price
2) Maintenance

I suspect its more to do with being "too different". 

I don't think price is an issue because people are willing to spend a lot on KTM and Husaberg 450's which are the natural competition.

Maintenance wise I don't think they are any more onerous than any other racing 450 or 550.

The 550 apparently is very difficult to ride because its simply too powerful - if you are not in danger of flipping then you are wheel spinning - all reports I've read have this theme - so I can understand that not being a big seller, but the 450 seems to be a very good option for long distance Dakar type races.

Just imagine a 75-80HP 130kg 650 with a well matched 6 speed box and say a 20 litre fuel tank!  I think I'm going to have to write to them!

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2011, 08:24:22 am »

1) Price
2) Maintenance

I suspect its more to do with being "too different". 

I don't think price is an issue because people are willing to spend a lot on KTM and Husaberg 450's which are the natural competition.

Maintenance wise I don't think they are any more onerous than any other racing 450 or 550.

The 550 apparently is very difficult to ride because its simply too powerful - if you are not in danger of flipping then you are wheel spinning - all reports I've read have this theme - so I can understand that not being a big seller, but the 450 seems to be a very good option for long distance Dakar type races.

Just imagine a 75-80HP 130kg 650 with a well matched 6 speed box and say a 20 litre fuel tank!  I think I'm going to have to write to them!

I don't think it's that simple though... they see a 550 cc that costs R 90k and needs new pistons every 9000 km.  Fair enough if you are going to be racing it, and have a shitter full of money, but to the man on the street who will be riding it on weekends, that's just too expensive.  I used to always joke that I wanted an SXV550 with a live-in Aprilia mechanic... ;D

Husqvarna, Husaberg, etc - all push 60hp out of their ~500 singles as well, but the maintenance on those are just as ridiculous.

But yea, that 550 is a beast.  The SXV is a handful - I haven't had the pleasure of the RXV yet.

But I'm with you on using the motor.  Even Aprilia's 750 which has been proven to be extremely reliable in Dorsoduro guise would be spectacular in a DS.

But again, you sit with an Italian bike, which ticks all the boxes, but I will always be suspicious of just when it's going to let me down, which is something that you DON'T want in a DS.  But then again, lots of people buy KTMs ;D
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.