Riding in traffic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmad

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
- Rant on

Last night a biker was killed in the traffic on the NI just after Rivonia.
My thoughts go the family of the rider and i feel the pain, not a nice feeling at all. Although i have no idea what happened or who is at fault, i want to get something off my chest...

Everyday, i see bikers that i think are riding irresponsible. It really pi$$es me off. We all lanesplit, and hope that we do it responsibly, but all too often i see guys flying through the traffic at speeds too high for the conditions.
The other afternoon going home, i see this guy on a bike having a full go at a cage, obviously the guy in the cage did not make enough room for the bike. So the biker is screaming at the cage, big words in sign language and then pulls off like a maniac once he has had his say. Lanesplitting is not a right, it is a risk :(

This morning a bike is cruising in the yellow lane (wait actually he was flying), there is a broken down car in the yellow lane and the occupants are standing around (in the yellow Lane). This chop on his bike starts hooting at them so he can pass them. To me this is just irresponsible ???

So my point is..
..If these guys happen to have an incident in this sort of environment or at this point, who will assist them or be nice to them and why? They are arrogant in their actions and portray that image to the people in cars around them.
At my work, 3 people ride bikes. Two are commuters and myself. I see myself as a recreational rider (mainly off road on weekends and commute on a Friday sometimes) and i like to think that i am responsible. However, you start to talk about the bikes and the general feeling is 'these bikers..." - You get the picture.

It will not change as bikers commuting are becoming more common on our roads everyday. Yes there is Think Bike, but i will not go there (most of the idiots i see wear their bibs). My sister is on the committee and i understand the circumstances, what they stand for blah, blah , blah.

When these guys/gals pass me and i see how they behave, i can only shake my head and hope them a safe journey home without pi$$ing off too many cagers  and hopefully not hurting themselves or their scoots ::)

-Rant off