Springbok - My first ever rally. (Warning - lots of pics)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hando

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
I have experienced and shared many firsts on Wilddogs in the last few months. My first Ride Report, my first bike, My first fall. And now I have had the privilege to join in and experience my first rally.

I met up with Mr.T and Loctite at Mr.T's place where we had a lekker cup of coffee and talked some nonsense before hitting the road to the meeting point.

sml_IMG_8307.jpg

We were the first to arrive at the meeting point and waited while the fellow dogs pitched up one by one.

sml_IMG_8312.jpg

sml_IMG_8314.jpg

In the end we were joined by the other guys :

Eddie (Beagle boy) - R1200 GS
Don (Tweets) - F800GS
Dave - K1200GT
Ian - KTM 990 ADV
Gus and Clifford (pillion) - R1200RT
Etienne and Dalene (Pillion) R1200 GS
Jaco (Loctite) - KLR 650
Trevor (MrT) - Yamaha Super Tenere 750
and myself Hanno (Hando)F650GS

We hit the road with the next stop Joubertina for fuel.  Just past Joubertina we stopped at the side of the road for a breakfast braai and some coffee.

sml_IMG_8317.jpg

sml_IMG_8320.jpg

We followed the R62 until we turned right towards Uniondale just before Avontuur.

With the my poor F650GS being a bit loaded I found the going through the little pass quite interresting with scraping pegs on most left hand turns.

We rode through Uniniondale and out the other side where shortly afterwards the DS guys turned right onto the dirt while the Roadbikers carried on straight.

The Karoo was spectacularly clothed in wild flowers and we stopped to get some pics.

sml_IMG_8322.jpg

sml_IMG_8327.jpg

sml_IMG_8329.jpg

sml_IMG_8344.jpg

sml_IMG_8348.jpg

sml_IMG_8349.jpg

We regrouped and refueled in De Rust and then set of towards the De Hoek campsite. Once again the DS guys took a very nice gravel road to the left , while the road bikers first went to cruise Meiringspoort to join us later.

Tweets and me were running at the back of the group until we met up with Mr.T and Loctite standing next to the road. It seems that Loctite's KLR was carrying on its fine tradition of losing spares along the way.

sml_IMG_8356.jpg

With some repacking and some Mcguyver style tricks his topbox was secured again and we could hit the road.

We arrived at the campsite and started setting up camp.

Dogs were arriving through the rest of the afternoon and it was nice to meet some unfamiliar dogs.

sml_IMG_8358.jpg

sml_IMG_8361.jpg

sml_IMG_8364.jpg

sml_IMG_8365.jpg

sml_IMG_8373.jpg

As dusk turned to dark I went playing with my camera and did some light painting.

sml_IMG_8378.jpg

sml_IMG_8380.jpg

I went to bed fairly early but ended up spending a very cold and uncomfortable night from about 1 am as my blow up mattress decided to deflate.

Eventually I gave up and went for a looong hot shower. Then I made some good coffee and started playing with my camera again/

sml_IMG_8385.jpg

Did I mention that it was cold ?

sml_IMG_8392.jpg

I spent some time capturing the early morning atmosphere.

sml_IMG_8394.jpg

sml_IMG_8396.jpg

sml_IMG_8406.jpg

sml_IMG_8414.jpg

sml_IMG_8415.jpg

Some Wilddog brought his tent - but forgot the poles

sml_IMG_8400.jpg

Some other poor rally participant was left out in the cold when his wife forgot his clothes at home.

sml_IMG_8403.jpg

I spent some time at the C.M.A tent (Coffee makers association) where I saw some very strange and interresting people.

sml_IMG_8404.jpg

PistonPete's bike was steaming in the sun waiting to go while Pete was still fast asleep

sml_IMG_8419.jpg

Our group decided to ride to Gamkapoort dam through the Seweweeks poort.

sml_IMG_8432.jpg

sml_IMG_8434.jpg

sml_IMG_8438.jpg

sml_IMG_8441.jpg

sml_IMG_8446.jpg

sml_IMG_8453.jpg

sml_IMG_8458.jpg

sml_IMG_8462.jpg

sml_IMG_8470.jpg

sml_IMG_8476.jpg

sml_IMG_8490.jpg

sml_IMG_8493.jpg

sml_IMG_8495.jpg

sml_IMG_8500.jpg

sml_IMG_8507.jpg

I was getting a bit cocky with my bike and I went through this water crossing at a fair speed while sitting down. I ended up completely wet with water over the screen and inside my helmet. That water was bloody cold and I remember gasping as it hit my chest.

Tweets came through the crossing with a lot more style and finesse.

sml_IMG_8509.jpg

The view from the top of the valley before you start the descent to the dam will forever be engraved in my memory as one of the most spectacular sights I have seen. This is one of those scenes that no photo will ever be able to do justice.

sml_IMG_8519.jpg

We got to the dam where we had a quick stop and chat before making some dust to get back to camp.

sml_IMG_8538.jpg

sml_IMG_8527.jpg

sml_IMG_8529.jpg

I am sure that this inhabitant was glad to see the last of us

sml_IMG_8534.jpg

Some final pics in Seweweeks poort.

sml_IMG_8541.jpg

sml_IMG_8548.jpg

sml_IMG_8549.jpg

By now I was tired and I did not take any more photos.

We had a nice 'kuier' around the fire on Saturday night , and all too soon the time was over and Sunday morning arrived.

I was battling to get all of my stuff back on the bike. It seems my bags have shrunk.

We hit the road and after a lekker brekkie at the spur in Oudtshoorn we hit the road for home.

Tweets and myself did a bit of a detour to De Vlugt and then up the Prince Albert pass, after having to wait for the red Helicopter to Casevac a mountainbiker that had a serious fall in the pass during a mountainbike race.

We spent the time waiting at Angie's G spot having a nice cooldrink.

This last pic is of the river valley going towards De Vlugt.

sml_IMG_8556.jpg

Allow me to thank a few people who made this trip very nice.

Don : You are a good man with a good heart. Thank you for ending up as my riding partner and for constantly making sure that I was Ok and not riding alone. It was a pleasure to ride with you.

Trevor:  Thank you for the arrangements and for convincing me to join you guys on the run.

Loctite : Thank you for breakfast on Sunday Morning.

To all the other guys (Eddie, Ettienne and Dalene, Gus and Clifford, Dave, Ian) it was great to meet you guys and to ride with you. Thank you for making my first rally a very nice one.

Firecoast : Nice to meet you. Thanks for the chats and the friendliness.

To the other dogs (PistonPete & co) nice to have met you guys. See you in the cape one of these days.