Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Where in SA is WD heaven  (Read 2546 times)

Offline KaTooMatt

Where in SA is WD heaven
« on: September 27, 2011, 03:18:08 pm »
I travel a lot for business and it got me thinking about where the best place in SA for a Wild Dog to live is.

The dogs in Cape Town probably feel they have it all with the West Coast, the Boland, the Cedarberg,the Karoo and the Overberg to Cape South Coast not too far away. The Breede valley with the connection to route 62 is also a draw.

Gauteng has it's magic, much to the disbelief of the rest of the country, but the reality is Tzaneen, Magoebaskloof is not much more than 2 hours away. The Vredefort dome is less than that in the other direction. The Lowveld and all its marvels are also reachable. Groot Marico in the west is an interesting destination - bit boring getting there through the mielie fields. The same for going east where there are some lovely rides at the escarpment with a bit of a schlep to get there. There many awesome mountain passes into Natal and the Drakensberg is easily reached. Also never forget the easy reach of the Magaliesberg and the wonders they have to offer.

Durban, I feel, is the least well endowed. While there is some magic in the valley of a thousand hills and the can get to the berg with Sani pass. For the most part while beautiful the midlands is the same pretty much every where. The cane fields to the South are pretty much the same as those in the North. They can claim the best weather for all year riding but when it rains boy does it rain.

My personal favorite would be PE. Within an hour from PE in most directions you are riding WD heaven. To the north is the road from Alexandria past Woody Cape to Canon Rocks. Inland is Baviaans, Addo all that expanse of land to Graaff-Reinet. Off the road from Uitenhage to Humansdorp there is a dirt road that goes out past the Bulkriver dam which looks awesome. I was in a cage at the time. The Karoo is easy to reach. Even Prince Albert with the amazing passes around there are easy to reach. The last piece the Capies might try and also claim is that the Knysna area with all the magic rides around it is an easy days ride. The reason I would rather do it from this side is I get to avoid that dreadfully dull stretch all the way from Bot river to Mosselbay.

I have thrown the gauntlet down. Lets here from you where you rate the best Wild Dog home is and why.  :pot:
"These are not machines for the meek. Ride it like you stole it, cane it within an inch of its life. It will require a bunch of maintenance and generally tend to be, shall we say, harsh? It was bred for racing, after all. It will devour rear tires and its lust for fuel will astound you. It will suffer indifference and carelessness very poorly. Like heroin and Asian girls, it's not for everybody, but when you absolutely, positively, GOTS to beat every m*****f****** in the race, accept no substitu

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
Re: Where in SA is WD heaven
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 03:21:03 pm »
Bloemfontein... we can go anywhere from here... :peepwall:

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 03:28:29 pm »
Ask but one question..

How many people from the Cape Peninsula are going to the Bash.. :)
'Routine is the thief of time'

Geotraveller

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 03:30:41 pm »
Anywhere where you are riding at that given moment...as long as it's on two wheels and includes gravel

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 03:31:19 pm »
Anywhere where you are riding at that given moment...as long as it's on two wheels and includes gravel
:3some:

;D

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 03:51:20 pm »
West coast for me. I just love those sandy roads.
Next year I would like to start riding the dirt roads around the Transvaal. :ricky:
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught
The left is full of people who have been educated far beyond their intelligence

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 04:38:52 pm »

Durban, I feel, is the least well endowed. While there is some magic in the valley of a thousand hills and the can get to the berg with Sani pass. For the most part while beautiful the midlands is the same pretty much every where. The cane fields to the South are pretty much the same as those in the North. They can claim the best weather for all year riding but when it rains boy does it rain.

FAIL   ;D
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline tau

• hasbeen and a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 05:18:14 pm »
Depends what you like.

West Coast + Cederberg in 2 days can be a great trip with mant different views and terrain.

However East coast has the stunning views and coast.

For me West Coast and beyond the Namibiam border as it is accesible and affordable/cheap. Slaap langs die pad.
2021 Yamaha YZ 450 FX
2021 Yamaha T7 Tenere
1981 Yamaha TT600

Online BOER!

• is 'n GS neersletterende
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • What's Updog?
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 05:23:03 pm »
I think South AFrica is the correct answer here.  You can ride from the most Norhern Point to the most southern Point in 2-3 days.

Faark me, I think that is awesome!
My hart kom affie plaas, Waar die Wind en die Son en die Stilte my speelmaats was.

Everybody falls off. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.

Offline Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: Suzuki DR 800S Big
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 10:06:32 pm »
As an East Caper I'm biased, but I must say the past four years I've enjoyed our tours through the Western Cape and Karoo around it. Beautiful country and I have not had enough of it yet.

In my heart though I am an Eastern Caper and here's some great riding to be had.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline GlenInk

• Elliot`s only
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
  • R.I.P. 02/02/2012
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 12:29:46 am »
I think South AFrica is the correct answer here.  You can ride from the most Norhern Point to the most southern Point in 2-3 days.

Faark me, I think that is awesome!

Correct  :thumleft:
Quote from: buzzlightyear
"Does your ass not get jealous of all the crap that comes out of your mouth?" 

Put brain into gear before opening mouth !   Believe it, cos its true !     Yamaha IT 200; Kawasaki KLE 500 The Ox Wagon  

Offline Billbob

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Live and let live (to a point)
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 10:11:42 am »
An almost impossible question to answer as all the regions have lots going for them. Actually too much for any one life time. My vote would have to go to Gauteng as from there I can be in not only any other region within a day but also Botswana, Namibia, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Mozambique. :ricky:
1200GS

Offline KaTooMatt

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 12:58:01 pm »
Well done Bilbob you got the point. We don't want to hear about where you like to ride. we what to hear about he best place to live so that you have ready access to what you regard is the best ride. I also want hear why you would like to live here.

In laying out my question I realized that there were a lot more easy reach destinations from Jo'burg than I thought. The question was formulated as I was in PE and missing my bike and thinking about all the amazing opportunities available down there. Tau's reasons for the Cape are good. He lives in Tulbagh I believe. I know it well my Grandfather farmed there. Still few people get to live in the gramadoelas the most of us have to sweat in a city and explore from there.
"These are not machines for the meek. Ride it like you stole it, cane it within an inch of its life. It will require a bunch of maintenance and generally tend to be, shall we say, harsh? It was bred for racing, after all. It will devour rear tires and its lust for fuel will astound you. It will suffer indifference and carelessness very poorly. Like heroin and Asian girls, it's not for everybody, but when you absolutely, positively, GOTS to beat every m*****f****** in the race, accept no substitu

Offline Avontier

• Coitus reservatus
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 01:04:39 pm »
I'd say Springbok. Moerse lekker rides in all directions from there. From PE you can only go 180 degrees. :biggrin:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 04:04:20 pm »
This thread just again shows what a D/S mecca we SAcans are living in. Like Boer says, the answer is really SA!

Offline ChrisMann

• Race Dog
  • Every day above ground is a good day.
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 05:10:51 pm »
That for me is one of the advantages of living in Upington. We don't have the best scenery in the country but we have a "network" of great gravel roads. Also I can go from here to most places in SA and Nam in one day. There is a gazillion miles of off-road routes nearby and I can go play with my 300 where I want.

This spot is 2 kays from me house:  :biggrin

Take my advice; I don't use it anyway.

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 05:15:50 pm »
...it's where your next ride is... :ricky:

Offline Captain Morgan

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 10:20:04 am »
I'm originally from the Lowveld and really miss it, lots of dirt roads for day trips. I'm now in Sandton and what a schlep to get to a good day's dirt road ride. Once you're on a dirt road and think "aah cool", bang it ends and you have to take another tar road to get to the dirt again, never mind the new settlements that spring up everywhere. Just too much tar around here. Yes we are pretty central but it takes a day or best part there of it to get to great spots. If I were to choose the best location to be based, it would be the Karoo. I drool at every RR posted by the guys down there. No need to trek for hours to get out of harms way/concrete jungle to have a great day out. The scenery is also just too awesome. A lot less tar down South me knows.

Cheers
Thirsty for More

Offline IRISH

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 10:26:49 am »
You would go a long way to beat the Elliot/Barkley East area for DS heaven. There are routes in all directions but particularly the Maluti Mts and Southern Drakensberg. Almost all are gravel of varying degrees of difficulty. It is just a pity that there is a chap of questionable character living in Elliot.

Waiting for his response..........................................

Offline GlenInk

• Elliot`s only
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
  • R.I.P. 02/02/2012
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 10:48:16 am »
You would go a long way to beat the Elliot/Barkley East area for DS heaven. There are routes in all directions but particularly the Maluti Mts and Southern Drakensberg. Almost all are gravel of varying degrees of difficulty. It is just a pity that there is a chap of questionable character living in Elliot.

Waiting for his response..........................................

What kinda response are you waiting for ?
Quote from: buzzlightyear
"Does your ass not get jealous of all the crap that comes out of your mouth?" 

Put brain into gear before opening mouth !   Believe it, cos its true !     Yamaha IT 200; Kawasaki KLE 500 The Ox Wagon