Where in SA is WD heaven

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaTooMatt

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I travel a lot for business and it got me thinking about where the best place in SA for a Wild Dog to live is.

The dogs in Cape Town probably feel they have it all with the West Coast, the Boland, the Cedarberg,the Karoo and the Overberg to Cape South Coast not too far away. The Breede valley with the connection to route 62 is also a draw.

Gauteng has it's magic, much to the disbelief of the rest of the country, but the reality is Tzaneen, Magoebaskloof is not much more than 2 hours away. The Vredefort dome is less than that in the other direction. The Lowveld and all its marvels are also reachable. Groot Marico in the west is an interesting destination - bit boring getting there through the mielie fields. The same for going east where there are some lovely rides at the escarpment with a bit of a schlep to get there. There many awesome mountain passes into Natal and the Drakensberg is easily reached. Also never forget the easy reach of the Magaliesberg and the wonders they have to offer.

Durban, I feel, is the least well endowed. While there is some magic in the valley of a thousand hills and the can get to the berg with Sani pass. For the most part while beautiful the midlands is the same pretty much every where. The cane fields to the South are pretty much the same as those in the North. They can claim the best weather for all year riding but when it rains boy does it rain.

My personal favorite would be PE. Within an hour from PE in most directions you are riding WD heaven. To the north is the road from Alexandria past Woody Cape to Canon Rocks. Inland is Baviaans, Addo all that expanse of land to Graaff-Reinet. Off the road from Uitenhage to Humansdorp there is a dirt road that goes out past the Bulkriver dam which looks awesome. I was in a cage at the time. The Karoo is easy to reach. Even Prince Albert with the amazing passes around there are easy to reach. The last piece the Capies might try and also claim is that the Knysna area with all the magic rides around it is an easy days ride. The reason I would rather do it from this side is I get to avoid that dreadfully dull stretch all the way from Bot river to Mosselbay.

I have thrown the gauntlet down. Lets here from you where you rate the best Wild Dog home is and why.  :pot: