Toll Fees - call to arms!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panjo

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
So I noticed the one headline in the newspaper today that another 2 billion is needed to complete the toll road system in Gauteng, the cost estimate will be more than the final figure of the Gautrain. To rub salt into the wound, you may have noticed that it is taking a really long time to complete the highway upgrade and parts that were completed are now back under construction, Something to do with the German system of Roadbuilding that was employed and that it is unsuitable for South African conditions.

Also, when finally implemented, we the road user, will have to bear the additional cost of about 40 cents per kilometer, a cost that Taxis and busses will not be paying as they are exempt.........Why are they exempt? Well we know why, because they threatened mass action, that's why.

Is this to be our lot in this country, that the few who contribute will forever have to take it up the arse with no Vaseline? We complain, but why do we not do anything? There is not a day that goes by where some or other deal or tender or some politician is reported in the papers , quoted as "irregular".

Are South Africans generally scared of standing up and making a difference ? Or do we feel, because we are historically advantaged, that we have no right to complain. That we should all be thankfull that in 1995, things turned out the way they did. in Europe, when the government does something that the citizens disagree with, the citizens strike and stand together.

When I was in the army, there were conscientious objectors. They believed strongly in something, so strongly in fact, that some of them saw jail time. I'm not suggesting that after reading this, you all dust off your fire arms and march on the union buildings. But I'm interested to hearing what you think.

I for one, don't want to pay the toll fees. The whole Toll system is just another poorly conceived plan to increase government income without having to deliver  a tangible, worthwhile service. I want to show my displeasure with the system. I can't stop my employer from deducting tax, but I can cover my number plate with a sign that conveys my discouragement. What is the worst they can do?

Am I being petulant? Should I just accept the way things are?