DIY Tripmaster mod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamanya

Andrew to most
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
My mode button stopped working a while back. It got a bit irritating only having the F for the low fuel to look at. Then last week my speedo stopped working. I know there is a break in the cable somewhere near the handle bars. I couldn’t be bothered fixing that and so just got a new cable. So into the garage this evening…

Other than getting a new multi-function display there is no way to fix the mode button. However for a while I have known that there is a “Tripmaster” available from KTM and it is a plug and play. There is a plug behind the dash all wired to accept the thing.

What it does is, it has three buttons;

Mode button to scroll through the functions
Two others that increase and decrease mileage on trip 2 – if you only click once they move by tenths, if you hold them in it moves by kilometres.

827517917_rPXWk-M.jpg

I am not going to fork out huge dosh for a clutsy looking thing and I wanted to try something that one inmate in Orange Crush did.

First, open the front, if you look carefully you can see I’ve cut the OEM plug off and started soldering new pins in for a four pin plug.

Then off to the left bar switch housing. No turning back now. Checking for fit.

I was never any good at electrics and to my surprise it all worked prior to putting it in.

It’s a tight squeeze;

Whala! Looks trick!

Works like a bomb! I will be able to scroll without taking hands off the bars and if I ever got into rallying it will come into its own.

I’d say a 4 out of 10 for technical difficulty. The hardest bit was soldering the tiny buttons. It is about a 3 beer job in terms of time.

Total cost; plug, 4 strand wire and 6 buttons (3 spare) R70.00

Oh yes, new speedo cable works too.