Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Help in bike choices  (Read 2229 times)

jabu69

Re: Help in bike choices
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2007, 11:08:21 am »
Buy a KTM 990 Adventure, because not only you can ride offroad, tour, ride pillion, commute, mess around, but also: It is the only D/S bike in the market that has an engine with a personality. That means fun, a lot of fun. Remember that Trail motorcycle are very functional and reliable, but are very very linear. This means that they can be very dull.

The R1200GS has improved quite a lot in the fun department, and is not so much a panzer like the R1150 and R1100. But still, the R1200GS is not going to put you in trouble.

The F650GS Dakar and KTM 640 Adventure have old engines in it. They've been developed quite a while ago. Yes they are very reliable, but dull as hell. Nothing really exciting about those bikes. But sure, they can be taken anywhere.

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2007, 11:28:19 am »
Buy a KTM 990 Adventure, because not only you can ride offroad, tour, ride pillion, commute, mess around, but also: It is the only D/S bike in the market that has an engine with a personality. That means fun, a lot of fun. Remember that Trail motorcycle are very functional and reliable, but are very very linear. This means that they can be very dull.

The R1200GS has improved quite a lot in the fun department, and is not so much a panzer like the R1150 and R1100. But still, the R1200GS is not going to put you in trouble.

The F650GS Dakar and KTM 640 Adventure have old engines in it. They've been developed quite a while ago. Yes they are very reliable, but dull as hell. Nothing really exciting about those bikes. But sure, they can be taken anywhere.

Define personality?
Born to lose, live to win!!

jabu69

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2007, 11:41:57 am »
Personality (for motorcycle engine): an engine that has a unique behaviour, that can be clearly recognisable, and has a high grin/fun factor. eg. KTM's LC8 / Aprilia's RSV / Triumph's in line 3 / Ducati Monster...

Dull (for motorcycle engine): a very linear, predictable engine. Low grin factor. eg. BMW F650 / Kawazaki KLR / KTM 640 Adv...

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2007, 12:50:17 pm »
i think that's a matter of taste though - i love my dakar to bits, to me it has plently personality. i was driving it to work earlier just grinning cos i loved it so much. plus it's a lot cheaper than a KTM 950 - although i would LOVE to own a KTM 950 admittedly, but could only afford to shop in the 650 class when i was shopping

bikes are always personal choice. example, a lot of guys suggested i look at the transalp when i was shopping around, but to be honest, i would have hated a transalp. it's not me. that's not to say the transalp is a bad bike, but i rode the dakar once and fell in love. it makes me grin, and that's the key... that goes for any bike, big, small trail, DS, whatever. other guys love their transalps and don't dig the dakar. some love their v-stroms. all fantastic bikes. all personal taste.

i agree with AMA as well - break it down ;)

AND I agree with Ratel, I too am waiting for the BMW 800GS :D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 12:52:57 pm by the_wes »

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • What me worry?
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2007, 01:02:51 pm »
Personality (for motorcycle engine): an engine that has a unique behaviour, that can be clearly recognisable, and has a high grin/fun factor. eg. KTM's LC8 / Aprilia's RSV / Triumph's in line 3 / Ducati Monster...

Dull (for motorcycle engine): a very linear, predictable engine. Low grin factor. eg. BMW F650 / Kawazaki KLR / KTM 640 Adv...

Cool....

i cant recall ever having ridden a bike that did not make me grin .... from my ts50er back in 81 to my dl1000 currently...they were all unique and all made me grin

(however , i know what u getting at)

cheers

jabu69

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2007, 01:08:31 pm »
i think that's a matter of taste though - i love my dakar to bits, to me it has plently personality. i was driving it to work earlier just grinning cos i loved it so much. plus it's a lot cheaper than a KTM 950 - although i would LOVE to own a KTM 950 admittedly, but could only afford to shop in the 650 class when i was shopping

bikes are always personal choice. example, a lot of guys suggested i look at the transalp when i was shopping around, but to be honest, i would have hated a transalp. it's not me. that's not to say the transalp is a bad bike, but i rode the dakar once and fell in love. it makes me grin, and that's the key... that goes for any bike, big, small trail, DS, whatever. other guys love their transalps and don't dig the dakar. some love their v-stroms. all fantastic bikes. all personal taste.

i agree with AMA as well - break it down ;)

AND I agree with Ratel, I too am waiting for the BMW 800GS :D

Please try to get your hands on a KTM 950/990 adv for 1 week, mess around with    . Then go back to the Dakar, and tell me what's your opinion about the Dakar.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 01:10:40 pm by jabu69 »

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Grey hound
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2007, 01:20:21 pm »
now why would i tempt myself like that. of course i'm going to enjoy riding the KTM more, who wouldn't. but i can't afford it. so i'll get back on my dakar and spend every day wishing it was a 990.

when i have the cash to shop in a different class, then i'll test ride it

at the moment, i'm sticking to the 600 class, and the dakar is it for me

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • What me worry?
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2007, 01:27:01 pm »
now why would i tempt myself like that. of course i'm going to enjoy riding the KTM more, who wouldn't. but i can't afford it. so i'll get back on my dakar and spend every day wishing it was a 990.

Nothing wrong with the 600 class .... my next DS purchase will be "downgrading" to either a 650 or 700 (rumoured transalp) or 800 (rumoured GS) ...offroad these with less weight are the weigh to go ...

bobnob

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2007, 01:43:19 pm »
life is to short to spend it all on one bike

buy whatever you want - enjoy it and then get rid of it and buy something else

i enjoy the dakar, but as wes said i would have enjoyed a 990 more but i dont have that much bling to spend at the moment

but i can see myself on a 990, 950, 1200gs, etc somewhere down the line

i can even see myself on a nice gsx-r somewhere down the line ;-)

jabu69

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2007, 02:27:46 pm »

Well if riding offroad is not the most important issue, then try the Kawazaki Versys. It's got an engine with lots of personality, and affordable. The Dakar is too pricey for a 650.

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Ons gaan nou ry
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2007, 02:50:34 pm »
Why upgrade? The little red oke on my shoulder is telling me to down grade from 650 to 640  ;D but the white oke on the other shoulder says no, wait for a 750-800 bike to come along. In the mean time, I'll just ride Groenie. At least I can sort of pick him up when we fall over....

And you think the 640 would make you super dooper faster than you 650? ;D

Not really, but I do think it's more off-road capable than Groenie (both of us). Besides, I would like to have a commuter and another toy
Don't look back, that's not where you're going.

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Grey hound
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2007, 02:56:01 pm »

Well if riding offroad is not the most important issue, then try the Kawazaki Versys. It's got an engine with lots of personality, and affordable. The Dakar is too pricey for a 650.

the versys is fantastic, and was one of my considerations, but i do enjoy my offroad riding and i just don't think the versys will cut it.

bobnob

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2007, 02:58:47 pm »
The Dakar is too pricey for a 650.

as compared to a KTM 640 (actually a 625cc) for the same price?

bikes are expensive - ride with your heart not your head and your wallet

buy what you want - if you made a mistake then correct it - not the end of the world

Offline mountainboy

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • I vespa, therefore I am, well, almost....
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2007, 03:15:33 pm »
So I drove the vespa for the WHOLE day yesterday  -and it made me smile over and over.
Man, i was weaving all over the road,jsut enjoying the little beast,even tho she clocks out at 80km/h (must be sick,poor baby  :-\ ). People behind me was not impressed  ;D. Then got on the GS and whoa!!! -the power was awesome,made me smile as well,made me wanna climb mountains,cross rivers,play in snow once again. GS1200,KTM Adv,none of these bikes even featured in my thoughts.It was just me and MY little 650 and the world before us. I love my baby.

Point is - each bike is diff,each with its own persona, just enjoy her while you have her. Never cheat on her by thinking of another woman when with ur wife -you just not gonna enjoy her

So the moral of the story is: JUST BUY  A VESPA AND YOU'LL DAMN WELL WILL SMILE EVERYDAY,ON ANY BIKE.

Now ride............
I love my bike..................

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Grey hound
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2007, 03:19:37 pm »
i have a tshirt that says "easy to be happy on a piaggio vespa" hahaha

tell me shams, are you and i going to take 2 PX 200's to the 4 corners of s.africa, on dirt?

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2007, 05:15:20 pm »
Gideon

Gettid?

So I will say
Keep your AT but start saving for that "perfect" for your needs bike that will steal your heart......

O0

Thanks AMA you could see into my heart. The AT is great done 80 000 km now on it. So maby later Ill upgrade when I see a new LEGEND in the making. ;D

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

Offline mountainboy

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • I vespa, therefore I am, well, almost....
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2007, 05:17:49 pm »
i have a tshirt that says "easy to be happy on a piaggio vespa" hahaha

tell me shams, are you and i going to take 2 PX 200's to the 4 corners of s.africa, on dirt?

dude,I like have the same T-shirt

And 4 corners it is - nothing like touring on those PX's ......
I love my bike..................

Offline letsgofishing

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2007, 06:20:49 pm »
its about weight not cc's... the AT weighs more than the ktm950 , i dare say the ktm would kick the AT's bottom in every application irrespective of the biggeer CC's
DR 650 147kg
KLR 650 153kg
XT660R 165kg
Dakar 650 177kg
640 Adventure 158kg
Vstrom 650 194kg
Africa twin 210kg
Transalp 191kg
990 Adventure 199kg
1200GS 199kg

Besides the issue of the bigger bikes being more comfortable and less tiring over long distances, I feel that the issue of weight is far more important. A lighter bike simply handles better and is less tiring the worse the going gets. 40kg makes a BIG difference on loose surfaces or sand. At the end of the day (besides the financial considerations)  it's up to how much of what kind of riding you on what surfaces and try and make a decision from there!
I really don't envy you, been thru the same thing myself! ;D
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2007, 08:05:02 pm »
Everytime after a week or two on the 1200, I get on the Dakar, I just can't stop smiling. Old enige included it's fun to ride.
The 650/650"s are such nice bikes, it's a stupid argument and to think a 950/1200 is better or make you grin more. The 1200 puts a smile on my face, but when I get on the Dakar, yee baby now we gonna have some fun! ;D

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2007, 10:59:58 am »

Besides the issue of the bigger bikes being more comfortable and less tiring over long distances, I feel that the issue of weight is far more important. A lighter bike simply handles better and is less tiring the worse the going gets. 40kg makes a BIG difference on loose surfaces or sand. At the end of the day (besides the financial considerations)  it's up to how much of what kind of riding you on what surfaces and try and make a decision from there!
I really don't envy you, been thru the same thing myself! ;D

I do not agree wholeheartly with you.

I focus here on 650 cc plus DS bikes. When a rider is still in the learning curve (we never stop learning) weight will we a bigger issue than cc in for example a thick sand road (cos the bike need to be picked up often  ;D) but the true is that the power of a bigger cc bike will in the end make it much easier for the rider. Its my experience and its also confirmed many times by one of the Cape's top GS riders and BMW instrictor who know both the 650 Dakar and 1150GSa very well.

Feel free to comment hereon. O0

« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 11:00:44 am by Ama ride ride »
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.