Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Help in bike choices  (Read 2231 times)

jabu69

Re: Help in bike choices
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2007, 12:09:19 pm »
Everytime after a week or two on the 1200, I get on the Dakar, I just can't stop smiling. Old enige included it's fun to ride.
The 650/650"s are such nice bikes, it's a stupid argument and to think a 950/1200 is better or make you grin more. The 1200 puts a smile on my face, but when I get on the Dakar, yee baby now we gonna have some fun! ;D

Then I guess we all are different in the way we perceive motorcycles.  :dontknow:
Still, you don't convince me entirely about the Dakar.  I owned the Dakar for about 6 months, I don't miss it at all.
The engine lacks punch, contrary to what we should expect of a single cylinder. It's too predictable, and slow. Without after-market pipes, it sounds like a sewing machine. Dull.
On the other side, its predictability, and punchless behaviour makes it a forgivable bike when riding offroad. Which is quite securing.

Don't misunderstand me, I don't say that the Dakar is a shit bike. It just lacks what I love about motorcycles: personality. If you're ready to put down 75 000 Rands of your hard-earned cash, you expect something that is worth it.
It's about time that BMW change that F650 with a 'real' engine.

Take KTM, they are slowly changing the old boring LC4 640 for a new cutting edge 690, which according to the press, is excellent (refering to the KTM 690 SM that is). That's what we should expect of BMW. Don't tune me the new BMW G series, it's still the same old Rotax sewing machine. :la:
But I'm talking about engine of course, I should expect the Xchallenge to be fun thanks to the improved weight reduction, and that interesting rear suspension as found on the HP2. However, for what the Xchallenge pretends to be (enduro bike), and how much they ask for it... I'd rather get myself a WR 450.

To finish, I'm not saying that one should get a big displacement bike to get high grin factor. By all means no. But I don't think the D/S 600cc class market is currently blessed with legendary motorcycles, as it should be. I haven't tried the Xchallenge though.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 12:23:54 pm by jabu69 »

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2007, 12:27:22 pm »
Everytime after a week or two on the 1200, I get on the Dakar, I just can't stop smiling. Old enige included it's fun to ride.
The 650/650"s are such nice bikes, it's a stupid argument and to think a 950/1200 is better or make you grin more. The 1200 puts a smile on my face, but when I get on the Dakar, yee baby now we gonna have some fun! ;D

Then I guess we all are different in the way we perceive motorcycles.  :dontknow:
Still, you don't convince me entirely about the Dakar.  I owned the Dakar for about 6 months, I don't miss it at all.
The engine lacks punch, contrary to what we should expect of a single cylinder. It's too predictable, and slow. Without after-market pipes, it sounds like a sewing machine. Dull.
On the other side, its predictability, and punchless behaviour makes it a forgivable bike when riding offroad. Which is quite securing.

Don't misunderstand me, I don't say that the Dakar is a shit bike. It just lacks what I love about motorcycle: personality. If you're ready to put down 75 000 Rands of your hard-earned cash, you expect something that is worth it.
It's about time that BMW change that F650 with a 'real' engine.

Take KTM, they are slowly changing the old boring LC4 640 for a new cutting edge 690, which according to the press, is excellent (refering to the KTM 690 SM that is). That's what we should expect of BMW. Don't tune me the new BMW G series, it's still the same old Rotax sewing machine. :la:
But I'm talking about engine of course, I should expect the Xchallenge to be fun thanks to the improved weight reduction, and that interesting rear suspension as found on the HP2.

To finish, I'm not saying that one should get a big displacement bike to get high grin factor. By all means no. But I don't think the D/S 600cc class market is currently blessed with legendary motorcycles, as it should be. I haven't tried the Xchallenge though.

i still think it comes down to personal preference. i think the dakar has plenty personality.... it IS very forgiving offroad though, which makes it an excellent first bike for me

i half disagree and half agree with you about the 600+class missing a legendary bike. on one hand, i think this class has some incredible bikes, just remember, when you talk about a legendary bike, you're talking about a GS1150 adventure or an Africa Twin - none of these are 600cc bikes. however, I do believe that the next run of 600 class bikes are going to be the best yet - BMW have a new 650cc in the pipeline (based on a smaller version of the 800cc parralell twin currently in the new 800s), the 800GS is on it's way (ok it's not a 600, but it's going to be great), there's the KTM 690, and I think if all goes well for Kawa, the new KLR might even become a legend in it's own time

with regards to the new BMW X bikes, yes, same engine, but MORE power output (they tuned it a bit) and LESS weight will make for a very different ride to the dakar

and if i sold my dakar and got a 950 ktm, i'd probably also not miss my dakar, but i don;t think it's a fair comparison
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 12:31:10 pm by the_wes »

jabu69

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2007, 12:40:18 pm »
(...) On the KTM you even get your panniers for free. (...)

Gee boet, if you think those panniers are for free, think again. How much does KTM ask for that 'deal' you refering to? A rip off if you ask me! >:(

Offline letsgofishing

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2007, 02:31:56 pm »
 Jabu wrote......Take KTM, they are slowly changing the old boring LC4 640 for a new cutting edge 690, ...
[/quote]
You ever ride a 640?... when were they EVER boring!
Flipping heck, you really ARE opinionated
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

jabu69

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2007, 02:42:20 pm »
Jabu wrote......Take KTM, they are slowly changing the old boring LC4 640 for a new cutting edge 690, ...
[/quote]

When KTM decided to keep the 640 for so long, it started to be boring. But there was a time when the 640 used to be the thing to ride. The 950 on the other hand will be kicking for a long time.

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2007, 03:09:57 pm »
*snip*

I agree with that - well said ...

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2007, 04:01:30 pm »
, just remember, when you talk about a legendary bike, you're talking about a GS1150 adventure or an Africa Twin

Damn, I'm a lucky bastard. ;D ;D

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2007, 04:13:46 pm »
, just remember, when you talk about a legendary bike, you're talking about a GS1150 adventure or an Africa Twin

Damn, I'm a lucky bastard. ;D ;D

That you are !

:D :D
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

jabu69

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2007, 04:40:52 pm »

Opinionated maybe, I just regard the KTM 640 as the lumberjack's motorcycle: very rough, excessive vibrations at any given engine speed, and powerful.
I rode the 640 a couple of times, it didn't really appealled to me.

shark_za

« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2007, 06:27:06 pm »
Sheesh , what do you think of a KLR then!

jabu69

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2007, 09:45:11 am »
Sheesh , what do you think of a KLR then!

Not the most exciting bike around...
BUT for the price you pay, the reliability and availability of parts you get... etc The KLR is the most honest D/S bike in the market. It's a no bull-shit, no flash-blink motorcycle.