Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2012 Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge,  (Read 4714 times)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: 2012 Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge,
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2011, 09:11:04 pm »
Thanks Mark, looking forward to you ride report too!
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline markdiver

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • It's better to burn out, than fade away!
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2011, 09:10:43 am »
Well Well Well - what a ride it was!! ;D.  Mark Lane owner of Sand Storm Motorcycles in Dubai arranged for me to ride with Sam Sunderland in the desert.  It was a day I wont forget.  We took the bikes out to a start point known as KTM farm.  Sam on his 2010 Factory Honda 450 ex Dakar bike (he uses this bike to train with) and I was on Mark Lane's Honda 450 with long range tanks.  The 1st half and hour I was not really comfortable on the bike, arm pump was an issue and the more I tried to adapt the correct ride position, the more I struggled.  Then Sam says to me, give my bike a try, which I agreed to without any hesitation ;D.  From the very start on his bike, I was comfortable, but then as the ride progressed, it seem to be getting even better.  I was supremely comfortable and my confidence levels was just climbing by the minute. My arm pump was also completely gone.  It felt like I was floating over the dunes.  The bike has what seems to be endless power.  I weigh in at 115 kg's, but not once did I struggle up any dune, even in the wrong gear.  I made many mistakes on the slow dune stuff and the much faster, almost flat out sections, but the bike always forgave me and gave me another chance.  I was grinning from ear to ear in my helmet and simply could not get enough.  After another half hour of riding, we stopped (actually Sam was waiting for me) and I then informed him that he was not getting his bike back.  He laughed and said no problem.  So for the rest of our ride I rode on Sam's bike and it just got better and better.  To put it in simple terms - I AM HOOKED. 
Thank-you again to Mark Lane from SandStorm Motorcycles Dubai and Sam Sunderland.  Sam has signed up with a 3 year Honda factory ride and is also sponsored by SandStorm.  I wish them the best of luck for the Dakar and there is no doubt in my mind that Sam is going to feature very very well.  I will be posting soon more details of the Desert Challange with the information that I got from Mark and his colleagues.
Mine - BMW 1200 ADV, KTM 450 RR; HUSABERG TE 300; Goes 320 Quad
Missus - BMW 650 GS.

>< ( ( ((º >`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸>< ( ( ((º >

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2011, 05:46:48 am »
That sounds lekker, Mark. It's truely amazing what decent suspension does to one's riding confidence. I remember being stunned how much better I could ride on decent suspension.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2011, 08:39:56 am »
Sam was doing brilliant in the last ADC with an inferior bike KTM gave him.
No I wonder how Trenker and co feels that they have lost a good rider to Honda?
Good luck to all who want to enter into the ADC if and when it happens.
Courtesy from Grizz: In this day and age religion is often frowned upon, but I have met some of the most amazing people from various religions over time.
From Buddhists to Sikhs, through Muslims and Christians and everything in between, there are many good people out there and if you do not allow yourself to be swayed by petulant religious opinion, the world is an awesome place with the odd idiot in between trying to make it rubbish for others.

Offline tau

• hasbeen and a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2012, 11:33:30 am »
Hi Boys any news on the event????

Will she be happening?
2006 BMW HP2
2020 Yamaha T7 700

Offline Kenisis

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dubai
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2012, 12:01:21 pm »

Will she be happening?
I have to remew my racing license this week and i will have a chat to the guys at the ATCUAE and will come back to you!
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Offline Motties

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Was Darksider
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2012, 12:08:44 pm »
Sam was doing brilliant in the last ADC with an inferior bike KTM gave him.
No I wonder how Trenker and co feels that they have lost a good rider to Honda?
Good luck to all who want to enter into the ADC if and when it happens.
He might prefer that inferior KTM after this episode :pot:
'16 KTM 300 XCW

Offline tau

• hasbeen and a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2012, 12:09:18 pm »

Will she be happening?
I have to remew my racing license this week and i will have a chat to the guys at the ATCUAE and will come back to you!

THx  :thumleft: airfair is cheap at the moment would like to save as much as possible.
2006 BMW HP2
2020 Yamaha T7 700

Offline Kenisis

• Race Dog
  • Dubai
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2012, 12:34:17 pm »

Will she be happening?

THx  :thumleft: airfair is cheap at the moment would like to save as much as possible.
Ok i just i just called the ATCUAE and asked tany what is happening ? Is it on or not?

She informed me that it is in the calender and the details should be released shortly! Sounds like they have a date but are waiting on a sign off.

She sounds like the most positive person i have spoken to yet!

Watch this space!
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Offline Motties

• Race Dog
  • Was Darksider
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2012, 11:08:51 am »

Will she be happening?

Ok i just i just called the ATCUAE and asked tany what is happening ? Is it on or not?

She informed me that it is in the calender and the details should be released shortly! Sounds like they have a date but are waiting on a sign off.

Watch this space!
You two and BB2007 must check this out properly this year, I will save up some money and join you in 2013.  :thumleft:
'16 KTM 300 XCW

Offline Kenisis

• Race Dog
  • Dubai
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2012, 09:24:33 pm »

Will she be happening?

Watch this space!
You two and BB2007 must check this out properly this year, I will save up some money and join you in 2013.  :thumleft:
Come bud! You know ou wanna do it! It's only a credit card!
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Offline Kenisis

• Race Dog
  • Dubai
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2012, 11:19:42 pm »
A lil birdie whispered in my ear tonight and told me to start getting my shit together cause the circus is coming to town! Watch the ADDC web site in the next week!
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Offline zetman

• Grondpad Alie pad
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Plak n Palm...
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2012, 12:11:45 am »
gooi manne ek koop di eerste tshirt van die wilddogs racing team
Hou die Tyres op die Grondpad...

Offline zetman

• Grondpad Alie pad
  • Race Dog
  • Plak n Palm...
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2012, 12:12:15 am »

Offline zetman

• Grondpad Alie pad
  • Race Dog
  • Plak n Palm...
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2012, 12:12:29 am »

Offline markdiver

• Race Dog
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2012, 03:30:49 pm »
Wish they would now post something already!!!!  :P ??? >:(
Missus - BMW 650 GS.

Offline Kenisis

• Race Dog
  • Dubai
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2012, 06:21:53 pm »

Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge

Entries Open for 2012 Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge !!!!!! The Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge will return for its 22nd running in 2012, and will once again be held across the Emirate of Abu Dhabi from 30th March to 6th April. The world famous event will allow competitors to explore some of the wonders of the Western Region of Al Gharbia, and will go deep into the Liwa desert. But exploration is not the only thing that awaits competitors during this event; after all, it’s not called a ‘Challenge’ for nothing, and the event is guaranteed to push all participants to the limit. The Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge is held under the patronage of H.H. Sheikh Hamdan Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the Ruler’s Representative in the Western Region and organised by the Automobile and Touring Club of the United Arab Emirates (ATCUAE). The ATCUAE has now opened registration to competitors driving cars and trucks complying with FIA T1, T2, T3 and T4 technical regulations, and motorcyclists and quads running under the auspices of the FIM. The 2012 Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge will be the opening round of the FIM Cross-Country Rallies World Championship, and Round 2 of the FIA World Cup for Cross Country Rallies. In the primary categories, last year’s car class was won by Desert Challenge legend Stephane Peterhansel, a multiple winner of the event on both two and four wheels, and the motorcycle class was won by Spaniard Marc Coma. Both competitors are currently leading their respective categories in the 2012 Dakar Rally, and will be hoping to gain a strong result as preparation for a defence of their Desert Challenge titles. Alongside them last year, a field of over 170 competitors from 34 different countries battled to cover the 1500km of the route to reach the finish line in Abu Dhabi. The 2011 edition of the event also set a new milestone by being broadcasted on some of the world’s leading sports channels, to 121million homes, in 59 different countries, and across 20 different languages. While most of the worlds most experienced top cross country rally drivers and riders are used to struggling with our desert, this year’s rally will test men and machines even harder by introducing competitors to the most spectacular, and toughest, dunes in the world. The high temperatures experienced by the UAE in April will also add an extra challenge to the 2012 Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge, contributing to making this event a very technical and demanding rally. Mohammed Ben Sulayem, ATCUAE President and founder of the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge, said: “The Desert Challenge is an iconic event in the UAE and both officials and competitors will be delighted to go back to Liwa to challenge and experience our beautiful desert once again. I’d like to express my gratitude to H.H. Sheikh Hamdan Bin Zayed Al Nahyan for always encouraging and supporting myself and the ATCUAE to present an outstanding and top class event every year. Over this new edition of the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge we’ll deliver a more exciting, and challenging competition than ever before.”
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Offline Panne

• Race Dog
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2012, 06:39:25 pm »

Will she be happening?

Watch this space!

Ditto!  :biggrin:
"Daar is honde wat maar net hoef te knor. Dit is dié wat reeds tevore gewys het dat hulle kan byt." - C.J. Langenhoven

Offline markdiver

• Race Dog
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2012, 01:13:42 pm »
Hey Kenesis, thanks for the update, very good news.  I have looked on the ADDC site and still there is no update or website change for 2012??  Is there a new link to the site and where can we find this news that you are getting??
Thanks.
Missus - BMW 650 GS.

Offline Kenisis

• Race Dog
  • Dubai
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2012, 06:17:04 pm »
Hey Kenesis, thanks for the update, very good news.  I have looked on the ADDC site and still there is no update or website change for 2012??  Is there a new link to the site and where can we find this news that you are getting??
Thanks.

Hey Markdiver.

I had dinner last thursday night with Sean Gaugain who told me that the dates had been released. The Next day from the ADDC Facebook page I saw the details that i have posted here!

There is a Flurry of activity to get the guys ready for the challenge and shortly we should see some adds coming out for the bike rentals!

as i get the Website details i will Post!

Cheers

Al
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450