Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Eureka City - Sheba Mine - Barberton  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Yo! Sup?
Eureka City - Sheba Mine - Barberton
« on: June 18, 2007, 01:36:23 pm »
Been to Barberton 12-14th June 2007. Visited some seriously nice gold mine places from the early 1880's. The goal was to assess some routes and grade them accordingly for Honda SA. All went well and I will inform everybody of organized trips. All bikes will be welcomed and the accommodation is 5 stars and the food excellent.

As you know, I am not good with writing large reports so I will include places (explanations) and plenty of photos.

So here goes. (I am kind of busy but I will add pics as I get time).

We started in Centurion (Prof. Attie Snyman) and left at 8:00am. Attie makes documentaries about all things. He is quite good and knows his stuff. He is working on a documentary regarding the gold route used by the suppliers of King Solomon (all the way from the Barberton mines up into Egypt) and also the Kruger millions. He also made a series for KykNET regarding the Dorsland trekkers. Very interesting guy.

A high level map of the route. I will give more detailed maps as the report progress.

Filling up with petrol at Centurion. Here is Attie with al the Bling for a TransAlp.

At the entrance to the Komati Mine (S25 43 27.0 E30 35 42.8)

Turning back to the Tar road to Barberton (S25 48 14.9 E30 46 25.9)

The most tranquil place for a rest, beer and food. (S25 47 55.3 E30 54 09.6)

In Barberton where we stayed. This place is beautiful and service is excelent. No, more than that. It is called "Diepinniberg, innikrater" (of so iets) (S25 46 01.8 E31 02 58.0). They also give quad rides from ez to very difficult.

Standing on the veranda looking over northern Barberton. In the back you can see the hill where some say the Kruger millions are buried. The refreshment (right bottom) is compulsory.

Barberton Garden of Remembrance. This was erected for british soldiers during the Boer war. The entire property belongs to Rassie with a huge 'koppie' for exploring. (S25 45 55.9 E31 03 07.2)

In memory of units during World War II. All in the same place.

Apparently this is the only place in South Africa where there is a place of remembrance for the soldiers that died on the border (Angola).

The ovens used for bread baking for soldiers in training. This was apparently the 'oorgangs kamp' for soldiers.

A view of Barberton from the top of the hill located at the back of the lodge we stayed.

The same spot just many years ago.

OK. nuff for now. Will upload later.... Thanks for being patient. I have some nice old photos of what the area looked like and the gold mines from 1880. Here is one just to water ya mouth.

Eureka City. There is nothing left today. Only the ruins of the Victoria Hotel.

100001 110010 1101010

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
Re: Eureka City - Sheba Mine - Barberton
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 01:46:10 pm »
Nice report ...years ago i went up to Eureka city with my old man in his peugot 504  :o  ...but them cars were tough i reckon...would love to go back
Africa ain't for sissies hey.

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 01:52:34 pm »
Nice. How is Honda SA involved?

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 02:03:29 pm »
Ye Icecreamman, the roads are in a very good condition (1/5) and some places into the mountains I would grade it as 2/5. Not very technical. But very interesting places. There are some serious bad ones (3/5) but nothing impossable. The main thing is that we spend a entire day on dirt roads (the worst 2/5). This makes it great to forget about tar and cars. The mountains in Barberton area is awesome.

Honda SA is starting to get adventure ride-outs together. But it is more than just Honda SA and their bikes. It is more the spirit of Dual Purpose than Honda related. It is driven by Edenvale Honda. I also think it is fro the runup of their new 700cc Dual Purpose bike that will be coming out later this year.
100001 110010 1101010

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 02:09:32 pm »
Awesome stuff Zonk. I hope the ride on Sunday is still on, maybe time to do final planning??
KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 04:52:08 pm »
Awesome stuff Zonk. I hope the ride on Sunday is still on, maybe time to do final planning??

Yes, it is still on, I hope. I will be stere for sure. OK. let me quickly refresh that thread.
100001 110010 1101010

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 05:05:09 pm »
Nice with exstra's

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

Offline Stephan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • bwk
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 06:19:54 pm »
Nice one Zonk.  Keep us posted.
Hard reality does not often coincide with the people's wishes - Nelson Mandela

Offline Doggone

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Fairlands, Johannesburg
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 06:26:38 pm »
Beautiful area. Well worth a trip.

Soooooo many roads . :) ;D   So little time!! >:( :(
"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the Courage to Continue that Counts"  Winston Churchill
Bike History: 1976 Yamaha Chappy-50cc; 1978 Yamaha RD50; 1979 Suzuki TS125; 1980 Suzuki GS 400; 27 years of bikelessness ; 2007 BMW R1200GS - 125 000 km's , 2017 BMW R1200GSA LC (Lowered)😁 WOW!

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 07:04:28 pm »
It's about 22 years since I have last seen Barberton. Still the small town it seems.

Thanks Zonk! Your trip took be back to memory lane. Back when I played rugby and cricket against the Barbers.
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Raider

• Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 07:22:38 pm »
Great report and pic's

Keep going :)
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional!

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 07:24:26 pm »
Nice report ...years ago i went up to Eureka city with my old man in his peugot 504  :o  ...but them cars were tough i reckon...would love to go back

Oh Kak, when I arrived here, the company gave me a car, sorry guys I don,t have a car licence only a bike licence, so then a loan to buy a bike ;D! But, we got you the car anyway, yes a Peugot 504!!!!!

Welsh
Behind every great man, is a woman rolling her eyes.

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 07:45:58 pm »
cool ride zonk!

Kev

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 10:05:22 pm »
Zon, nice to see pics like those you too. I enjoy the these sort of reports a lot. :thumleft:

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 08:45:28 am »

Oh Kak, when I arrived here, the company gave me a car, sorry guys I don,t have a car licence only a bike licence, so then a loan to buy a bike ;D! But, we got you the car anyway, yes a Peugot 504!!!!!

Welsh

indestructable cars hence they organised u one  ;D

ever been to egypt , still hundreds of 30 year old peugots running around  ;D

that car my old man had just kept going an going irrespective of where we took that car  :o
Africa ain't for sissies hey.

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 08:45:21 pm »
Some Volcanic pipe rock, or something.

Attie on a pass going up the mountain leading to Sheba Mine.

Tracks in sandstone of Ox wagons of the old miners. Also, the way they went over the mountain. These oaks had balls of steel.

And as usual, I love graves and had to stop. This one of a little girl that died. I think the grave in the back is of her mother. They died on the Drummond Castle Ship that sank (1896).

The Mother. see the inscriptions on the grave stone.

Another one . Died at Eureka City.

The old Victoria Hotel. Nothing left.

Yes well, me and the Zonkmobile.

Sheba School 1886. Still standing. Guess the kids those days did not break down their school.

Inside the Sheba Mine. The story goes of a prospector that walked the same route every day. One day he got fed up with this rock in the middle of the path and started hammering away on the rock. The rock broke open and it turned out to be the biggest gold nugget (is that what you call it) found in the area. He then started digging down and this is the whole that he started. So the mine was started.

Some of the many tunnels found within the mine.

A wooden ladder going down into the mine.

Something?

Another tunnel inside the mine. These tunnels were done by hand in the late 1880's. amazing stuff.

An Office outside the Sheba gold mine.

Rail going into the mountain.

This is on the service road going next to the railroad next to the N4 to Nelspruit from kaapsehoop.

The size of the tunnel. I thought it to be a nice photo.

This poor likkewaan did not fear a little train at all.

The river (krokodil rivier) next to the railroad. And yes, some slangbyt gifkan.  ;D

Breakfast . Hey, it is never to early for slap chips and chakalaka. :)

This is a very high tower going into the ... well, very high up so that the polution can be swept away by the upper winds. Well, something like that.

Shiyalangubu Dam (S25 45 21.2 E31 15 53.3)

Workers busy cutting trees. This was very interesting to watch. They work like they know what they are doing.

A natural forest.

Attie inside the forest.

At last he got his clothes (looks like he is going to take over the country) and Alpie dirty. O yes, and the bling  ;) He was game for anything. Never complained at all. Very nice travel companion.

A view from the road going to the Swazi border, and my Alpie. O how I love my Alpie  :P

You beauty. I love you! 8)

Road sign. Duh!

Very pretty in this area.

We also went thru a ghost town called Diepgezet (S26 00 17.2 E31 04 36.7). I was amazed by the beautiful houses that were standing empty. This must have been a flourishing town in its days. If anybody knows something about this town. Please reply on this tread. I would love to know what happened to this town. Even got a golf course. Sorry, no photos.

OK. Enough for now. The next set will be old photos of the late 1800's.

Cheers.

100001 110010 1101010

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 10:25:56 pm »

Honda SA is starting to get adventure ride-outs together. But it is more than just Honda SA and their bikes. It is more the spirit of Dual Purpose than Honda related. It is driven by Edenvale Honda. I also think it is fro the runup of their new 700cc Dual Purpose bike that will be coming out later this year.

Hmmm. Same as what Honda George is doing - why do you think I'm riding so much?

Nice report so far!

Kev

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 06:07:09 pm »
Zonks, this is brilliant! :thumright:

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2007, 09:00:11 pm »
Cool, methinks we need to go suss out this area this weekend, hopefully that place you guys stayed at has place for us.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2007, 09:15:35 am »
Yes Adventurer, you will love the place and please go and meet the owner, he is very friendly and will talk to u for hours. Also a very interesting guy and area. If you want the GPS route, just pm me with your email and I will send it to u. Cheers
100001 110010 1101010