Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: de wildt seep-over  (Read 2167 times)

Offline krazy-eyes

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
de wildt seep-over
« on: March 26, 2006, 10:39:23 pm »
we left lourens' house at 4pm and dodged taxis like you cant believe untill, about 20 minutes later, we were both well and truly annoyed at playing russian-roulette with 2ton missiles. finally we got off the tar and left the city behind. in essence we still had a lot of tar to do, but this short gravel stretch, although uneccesary at this point, was symbolic of cutting ties with the hussle and bussle.
we made our way outwards towards brits, and onward in the direction of jericho. about 25k's before the latter we got back onto the gravel. we travelled untill sunset looking for a suitable campspot, but to no avail, game fences everywhere. luckily i had put the co-ords for Moegatle game farm on my gps (s25 24,114 e27 43,586 http://www.moegatle-lodge.co.za/). so plan B it was. we rode for about 20 minutes in the dark, on gravel, with thick sand at times  :shock:  (hectic for a novice like me), but it was hypnotic in a way and i enjoyed it thoroughly! the co-ords were spot on, and the home made gps handle-bar mount worked like magic!
we arived at the campsite and met the friendly owner Alex who pointed us to the campsite. we got there and were welcomed by a flock? of impala. we unpacked and set up camp - 10 minutes max.
next we lit the fire and opened a cold one (or two  :lol: )
we spent the night looking at stars and getting Philosophical about trivial junk - as long as it wasnt "shop talk".

the next morning i awoke to the call of sand grouse and the smell of fog. i opened my eyes and rolled out of the tent. lourens appeared out of the bushes after having gone for a walk already where as i opted for a sleep-in. within 30 minutes we were packed and ready to roll. it is amazing how little stuff one needs to camp succesfully.

we hit the road and headed further north, towards the big rock. we encountered a set of HUGE pools of water right arcross the road. i told lourens to do the honours and he went, albeit rather nervously   :D
he sailed through and i followed. by the the next set we were pro's and i actuaaly enjoyed it. the road made a 90degree turn to the right and with this the fences ended. i stopped and pointed this out to lourens and told him that THIS was were i wanted to camp - no electricty, no people, no lights, just the bush.
we continued towards the rock and encountered lots of smiling waving kids. our route took us right around the base of the rock.  lourens had a little spill at low speed when his front wheel skidded and slid out from underneith him on a muddy patch. we then unanimously decided that going UP the rock is still a bit ambitious concidering our level of experience (hats off to those who have done it before on 200+kg machines).

we rode out the last bit of gravel and headed back to civilisation knowing that this was merely the 1st of many, many, adventures - as it says on the side of the bike.

i got back to joburg greeted by drizzle, and rode the last 3k's in pouring rain. but it was totally bare-able knowing i was going home to a hot bath  :twisted:

the bike:
the bike was a dream come true. it behaved really well on all surfaces. the only hick-up was a steering headbearing that shook loose (barely noticable), and a chain that needed tensioning - i write both up to the bike being new and "unbroken in", and it took me 15 minutes to fix both once i got home, i sommer breathed the shox while i was at it and filled up the coolant reservoir.

READY TO ROLL!

the smell of woodfire and early morning fog :

while it was raining in joburg, we were sipping beer next to the camp fire and gazing at the stars:

NOT going up the rock:

circumnavigating the BIG rock:

the 950 in its natural environment:

Offline Leon H

• Pack Dog
de wildt seep-over
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 01:08:56 am »
Great to see you're enjoying the new machine.  Thanks for the great report and photos. 8)

Those 1 night camping trips are so refreshing - I need to make a point of doing more of them myself.  You go away for a day and feels like you've been away for a month - nice!
"I see a boundary, I eat a boundary...and wash it down with a cup of hot steaming rules!"

Kev

de wildt seep-over
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 01:42:39 am »
Very nice! :thumbup:

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
de wildt seep-over
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 07:59:03 am »
nice one Krazy..... lekker pics  :thumbright:

i especially like that one with the tree sitting on the rock behind the bike...

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
de wildt seep-over
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 08:04:11 am »
aah, that looks good...  :wink:

shark_za

de wildt seep-over
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 08:05:46 am »
Good one guys! Hope there is a next time real soon.
Your baby looks saweet !

Moegatle is that spot on the corner by the crossing of the roads, I'd be tempted to camp in that dry riverbed we rode on the other day, it was pouring in JHB and it was still dry. Dont think much water ever flows there, it all heads down the Tolwane river. Only about 1.2km from the gate to the turn to the riverbed.

And its always a "flock" unless you are talking about birds, then its a "bunch"

Offline Grootseun

de wildt seep-over
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 08:16:17 am »
Sweet report dudes...Look's like you had real fun....

Looking forward to a trip with you guys!!

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
de wildt seep-over
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 08:18:31 am »
Quote from: "shark_za"
Good one guys! Hope there is a next time real soon.
Your baby looks saweet !

Unless it,s ghosts then its a "fraid" of ghosts, heard it on the radio so it must be true, I,ll take the 950 up the rock for you if you want, its got a good bash plate  :!:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :D  8)

Welshie

I was asked to run a marathon and I said no chance. Then I was told it was for spastics and special needs kids. I thought ?damn it, I could win that?!
An aspiring Coddiwompler
I want to grow my own food, looking for Bacon seeds

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
de wildt seep-over
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 08:24:40 am »
Nice report, and good way to break in the new bike !
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline krazy-eyes

• Race Dog
de wildt seep-over
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 09:17:53 am »
how about the weekend after this coming one?

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
de wildt seep-over
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 10:42:20 am »
Nice to see the KTM getting out in it's natural environment Krazy, you gonna enjoy this one :D
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
de wildt seep-over
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 11:45:18 am »
Quote from: "shark_za"

I'd be tempted to camp in that dry riverbed we rode on the other day, it was pouring in JHB and it was still dry. Dont think much water ever flows there, it all heads down the Tolwane river. Only about 1.2km from the gate to the turn to the riverbed.

I saw that "dry" riverbed from much closer than you, like very, very close up and in your face! Plus, the Pig was trying to dig its way to the bedrock as it progressed, there was water not far below the surface! Such riverbeds are bloody cold and damp to camp in in my limited experience!

How can it be a "flock" if they smell like fish?

Welshie  :oops:  8)

"If you hang around a whorehouse long enuff.... eventually yer a gonna get a kiss"
An aspiring Coddiwompler
I want to grow my own food, looking for Bacon seeds

Offline LiveInTheOutdoors

• Race Dog
    • http://tigerr.smugmug.com
de wildt seep-over
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 12:04:36 pm »
mmmmm pretty bike.

Its so weird putting a face to a name on the internet, and then they reveal their true gesig and theres a different person attached to the body! :shock:

:D  Ag, lekker man, come on and ride up that rotsie, thats what the katoom is for.

ps: lekker tree on that rock, thats just beautiful to me. cheers!
very minute is a chance to turn it all around - Vanilla Sky

>Mav... started gym. Officially at 95kg....<

Offline krazy-eyes

• Race Dog
de wildt seep-over
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 12:46:39 pm »
Quote from: "LiveInTheOutdoors"
mmmmm pretty bike.

Its so weird putting a face to a name on the internet, and then they reveal their true gesig and theres a different person attached to the body! :shock:

:D  Ag, lekker man, come on and ride up that rotsie, thats what the katoom is for.

ps: lekker tree on that rock, thats just beautiful to me. cheers!

thought i was a deranged homicidal maniac that escaped from the insane asylum,  judging from my screen name?  :lol:
i AM much shorter than one would expect, but then lourens was way taller and younger than I expected.

as for the rock - i will, i will, in due time. been up it on a quad no prob. but i wouldnt have contemplated it in the 1t week of starting quadbiking. its all about allowing yourself to become used to your machine, you cant force it (well sometimes you can)

that tree reminds me of a big candle, the wax melted and conformed to the shape of the rock.

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Race Dog
  • Cape Town
de wildt seep-over
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 05:45:57 pm »
i think some more pics of nicci would help us believe you are not the
deranged homicidal maniac that escaped from the insane asylum

if she can live with you, then so can the rest of us  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :wink:

Offline X Banana Boy

de wildt seep-over
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2006, 06:40:48 pm »
purdy bike  :D  nice report

Lourens

de wildt seep-over
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006, 07:03:44 pm »
It was a great weekend.  It is the first time I went onto sandy and muddy dirt road with a bike for 20 years.  I remembered even less than I thought.

The first part of the road was pretty hard but corrugated.  I had to switch the ABS off after I tested the brakes on the corrugated surface and found that the bike had virtually no stopping power.  It was way better with the ABS off.  

The sand was fun although it seemed that the 650GS was a bit less stable through the thicker patches than the 950 adventure.  

The pools were great.  I felt like a real adventure rider going through them.  We were a bit wary of going through the deepest bits and kind of skirted through the edges, maybe foot deep.  After going through the last pool I looked back at Krazy-eyes, there were these two huge plumes of muddy water framing him on the bike.  It made a great picture.  Sadly he is the photographer and he was too busy making a great picture to be taking one.  

The mud was a disaster, I did it exactly wrong.  Krazy-eyes made it look easy though.  He was very nice in his reporting of my little mishap in the mud.  He did not mention that I momentarily forgot that my bike has a rear brake and that my time might have been better employed using it to slow down into the muddy ditch than using the front brake to play pogo stick pogo stick with the forks.  Even though I was going no faster than a brisk stroll things still happened way to fast for me and down I went just before entering the ditch.  At least I only have a slightly sprained thumb to show for it and no damage to the bike.  And I learned that it is easy to pick my bike up when it is on its side.  Although, that might have been the adrenaline.  

A twisting little path winding through the bush circumvents the rock and it was great fun following it at a, for me, brisk pace.  My thumb started to remind me of my spill so we took it easy from there on taking the wider and more well-traveled roads home.

I hit some rain entering the city and got home with an almost clean bike.  

It was a great trip  all my thanks to Krazy-eyes for putting it together.  I hope there are more of us next time.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
de wildt seep-over
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2006, 08:15:06 am »
Nice going there guys! That pic of the camp fire is so cool! That's life! :P  8)

Quote from: "Lourens"

The mud was a disaster, I did it exactly wrong.  

Don't sweat it Lourens. On my first real offroad trip after a 16 year break, I put my bike down twice in mud on the way to the Klip. Since then. I have learned a lot when it comes to mud riding and have not gone down again, although I had a few almosts. It gets better and more fun each time you ride the mud or any other type of road surface. Just stick to it and go as much as possible on trips with fellow riders on this forum. You learn a lot from them.
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Race Dog
  • Cape Town
de wildt seep-over
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2006, 08:42:12 am »

Quote from: "JourneyMan"

Don't sweat it Lourens. Just stick to it

slightly edited  :D  :D

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
de wildt seep-over
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2006, 08:57:18 am »
Quote from: "macduff"

Quote from: "JourneyMan"

Don't sweat it Lourens. Just stick to it

slightly edited  :D  :D

hehehe
He who angers you, controls you.