Suspension setup for rider weight??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riaanrw

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
I have just bought a CRF450R and its suspension is set up almost perfect for me. The previous owner had it set by MP suspension for a rider 90kg.  I have a track that I ride very often and I could feel/see the difference from this bike to another bike where the suspension is not set for the same weight rider.
Not once did it feel like it is going to bottoming out or taking any strain.

Maybe the more knowledgeable riders can tell me if a bikes suspension is set for a rider of 75kg, would a rider of 90kg cause damage to bike suspension (spring, inner-parts) if he rides it hard on rough terrain?

A XR400's suspension took some serious knocks off just me riding it in terrain that was a little rough. To date I have only had to have seals and rubbers replaced.

Could the Xr400 springs have been damage as well?

I also had a DR250 that lost the back shock wish had to be completely rebuild. I also suspect heavy rider damage here. I think it was more suited for a 75-80kg rider.

Is rider weight only important if you ride a bike hard or should it be taken serious under all circumstances?   :-\