Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW G 650 GS Sertão  (Read 931 times)

Offline zniper

• Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
  • Groen bikes is nie vir moffies nie
BMW G 650 GS Sertão
« on: October 05, 2011, 09:08:50 am »
hi

just came across these photos of the new G650 GS with spoke wheels

Offline Rooies

Re: BMW G 650 GS Sertão
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 08:24:57 pm »
The most important thing in life is to be yourself.
Unless you can be Batman.  Always be Batman.

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 08:29:36 pm »
Dunno where the link is, but it's been posted before. It's the new 650 GS "dakar" basically  :thumleft:

Offline Rooies

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 08:31:01 pm »
Dunno where the link is, but it's been posted before. It's the new 650 GS "dakar" basically  :thumleft:

Must say I haven't been following new bikes recently. Came across it by chance, did a quick search and saw this thread.  Would love to know more.

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 08:32:53 pm »

Must say I haven't been following new bikes recently. Came across it by chance, did a quick search and saw this thread.  Would love to know more.

Too lazy to search for the thread - but it's essentially the G 650 GS (which is the new-ish, single cylinder 650 GS using the same engine as the XChallenge in a facelift version of the old single cylinder F 650 GS) with the usual Dakar mods - wire wheels (21 / 17), longer suspension, and some extras. With new paint job.

Confused?

Offline Rooies

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 08:35:38 pm »

Too lazy to search for the thread - but it's essentially the G 650 GS (which is the new-ish, single cylinder 650 GS using the same engine as the XChallenge in a facelift version of the old single cylinder F 650 GS) with the usual Dakar mods - wire wheels (21 / 17), longer suspension, and some extras. With new paint job.

Confused?

I like.  Weight?

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 08:36:47 pm »

Confused?

I like.  Weight?

Like the old Dakar - heavy. Like 195kg or something stupid like that

Offline Rooies

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 08:37:27 pm »
That's unfortunate. Still better than my pig though.

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 08:42:46 pm »
at the end of the day what everyone says about the Dakar is that it's heavy and sluggish. And it's true, I've owned one, I know. But truth be told that weight and sluggishness is only an issue when you want to blast along a tweespoor, cut across deep sand or climb a dune - and there are better bikes out there for those applications.

But if you want a solid all-rounder that can't be beaten, can cross the country without as much as a hiccup no matter how crappy the fuel you throw in it is, gives excellent mileage, holds its value reasonably well, is fairly comfortable for a single (even for a pillion), and can be packed to the ceiling, then look no further.

I'm glad BMW have brought it back (even if it's not called the "Dakar" any more). The market needs more bikes like this. And it has the newer engine in, which means 10 to 1 the sluggishness has been addressed. Single performance pipe and decent air filter will help even more (and you'll shed a bit of weight in the process). Apparently the tall screen is also actually effective this time around. Heavens only knows why they didn't put fat bars on it though.

Yeah, I'll admit it. I want one. But it'd need to get resprayed. Those graphics are dismal.  :deal: