Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Ghost Town  (Read 838 times)

Offline BOZO

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
Ghost Town
« on: June 19, 2007, 02:44:48 pm »
Hi all, this has got to be one of the most incredible websites i have ever looked at.
In one way its haunting in the desolation and destruction almost bringing me to tears yet in another
Its amazing. I definitely WILL go there one day to see it for myself. On my bike and alone like this girl has done.
Forgot to mention this is a biker's story type ride report....

Takes about an hour to go through but trust me its worth the read the pictures.

If someone wants me to download it and put it in a word doc or pdf just pm me.

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/chapter1.html
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 02:55:20 pm by BOZO »
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them." Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Kev

Re: Ghost Town
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 04:21:46 pm »
It is indeed haunting. And her site is HUGE.

Jaqhama did an interview with her here: http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/gamma/interview.html
Maybe he can give us some inside info?

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 04:35:46 pm »
In the words of lord Vader: "Impressive"

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 04:36:17 pm »
this has also been proven to be a hoax
Born to lose, live to win!!

Kev

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 04:46:37 pm »

Look at some of the later pages on her site...

Is it really a hoax or not? Well, the fact is, Chernoble did expload. And it did ruin vast tracts of land with radioactive fallout. I for one would love to know the truth about this one.

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • What me worry?
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 04:59:20 pm »

Look at some of the later pages on her site...

Is it really a hoax or not? Well, the fact is, Chernoble did expload. And it did ruin vast tracts of land with radioactive fallout. I for one would love to know the truth about this one.

I am not disputing the fact it exploded , i certainly dispute the fact that she has been there on a bike. That part is untrue ... there are some other inconsistencies in her story as well....just cant remember all the details now..will look for the link when i get a chance

Kev

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 05:19:43 pm »
It was discussed on ADVrider some time back. And on UKGSer...

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 08:09:36 pm »

So it's on the internet, it HAS to be true! ;)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Kev

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 08:28:24 pm »

So it's on the internet, it HAS to be true! ;)

Yeah, right! Has to be!  :D ;)

Offline koplamp

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 09:35:30 pm »
Take a look at Chernobyl on Google Earth - there is farkall going on there. These pics look as real as it gets.

Really, I cannot see why one would call this a hoax.

BTW, I think this is one of the worst things yet invented by man. I read in the New Scientist that the steal tomb constructed by the Communist Government around the blown reactor is rusting away and would soon begin to leak again.

Maybe we can get some volunteers...

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • What me worry?
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 08:36:54 am »
Take a look at Chernobyl on Google Earth - there is farkall going on there. These pics look as real as it gets.

Really, I cannot see why one would call this a hoax.

BTW, I think this is one of the worst things yet invented by man. I read in the New Scientist that the steal tomb constructed by the Communist Government around the blown reactor is rusting away and would soon begin to leak again.

Maybe we can get some volunteers...

Her website has been changed a bit in the last while it seems..it certainly is a hoax that she was there on a motorcycle, also some of the pics are staged and some "poetic" licence has been incorperated into her website. Her origonal website in 04 was even worse with many discrepancies... if you going to tell a true story , at least make sure it is true an u aint lying. anyone incl you an i can go there and go to the places she has been ,,why? she went on a tour for goodness sakes, no brave herione venturing on her own into a ghost town... "packing a puncture repair kit blah blah blah "

The sarcophagus is disintegrating thats no hoax...

Offline Jaqhama

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Super Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 11:54:22 pm »

You are incorrect.
People have said it's a hoax, no one has ever proved it.

The pics of Elena's bike are inside the Dead Zone.
And what most people don't know is that the Dead Zone, often reffered to as The Prohibited Zone  is 300 kms across.

And do you not wonder why, in a couple of the pics, she has a different set of clothes on? Don't you wonder why she has a helmet with her?
Because she has been there more than once.
She has just had a book published in Sweden about the Zone by a reputable Swedish Publishing house...do you think they would publish a book knowing evrything in it was a lie?
The story that she did not ride a bike in the Zone was started by a woman who works for the Ukranian Government...Elena's story made worldwide news on the Internet...and the Ukranian Gov was desperatly trying to forget Chernobyl.

What everyone also seems to be unaware of is that Elena and many other people have been inside the Zone for years. She used to go there with her school friends.
Criminals live there, hunters hunt there, some peasants have moved back into their old homes.
There is no fence around the Dead Zone (or at least there never used to be) simply some concrete barriers stopping cars entering the now disused roads.
Around the reactor there are barriers and guards and high security.

I find it amusing that so many of you are so quick to call Elena a liar, based on that one Ukranian Governments woman's report.

I don't need to defend Elena. As she says, people will believe her or not, she could care less.
But...don't you wonder why the Ukranian Government has never taken Eleana to task over her website if everything she says is untrue?

And I know someone else who has been inside the Zone on a bike...it got quite popular there for a while, hence the now tightened security.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 12:19:47 am by Jaqhama »
It's not just a mode of transport, it's a fking adventure!

Offline Jaqhama

• Race Dog
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 12:17:50 am »
If any of you have quite a few hours to spare...find all the links across the Internet and regarding Elena's story...and the claim by people that she has never been there...and follow those links back thru the years...I have done so myself...all the links always point to that one Ukranian Government woman stating that Elena has never been inside the Zone with ther bike.

Elena's father is documented as having worked at Chernobyl.
She visited him often, sometimes alone, sometimes with friends.
Many times she was allowed pass the check-points and parked her bike in the car park where all the other workers and security staff and scientists parked their vehicles.
It's not hard to check this if you are prepared to take the time to do so.
You don't have to take my word for it...do your own research.

And yes you are correct in that they run tours inside Chernobyl now, and have done for some years.
Elena used to know the lady who claims she only visited with her (now) ex husband. That day Elena and her husband took the official tour because by that time the authorities had finally realised they shouldn't just be letting people wander around the place hither and yon.
Some of the buildings are in a dangerous state of decay.
It's also getting somewhat dangerous to wander around the prohibited area alone as many odd people, including wanted criminals are now living in the deserted countryside.
It was even suggested by the Commisinor of Police/Prisons that the prohibited zone would be an excellent place for a maximum security prison.

Cheers: Jaq.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 12:40:19 am by Jaqhama »

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 03:06:04 am »
I really enjoyed reading her site. My brother-in-law visited there last year on a guided tour, her piccies is much the same as what he showed.

I would be scared to visit, just because you cannot see the stuff that can seriously affect your health, but it is there, everywhere.

Here is another site with lots of pictures. http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~dmcmill/index.html
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • What me worry?
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 08:52:35 am »

You are incorrect.
People have said it's a hoax, no one has ever proved it.

The pics of Elena's bike are inside the Dead Zone.
And what most people don't know is that the Dead Zone, often reffered to as The Prohibited Zone  is 300 kms across.

And do you not wonder why, in a couple of the pics, she has a different set of clothes on? Don't you wonder why she has a helmet with her?
Because she has been there more than once.
She has just had a book published in Sweden about the Zone by a reputable Swedish Publishing house...do you think they would publish a book knowing evrything in it was a lie?
The story that she did not ride a bike in the Zone was started by a woman who works for the Ukranian Government...Elena's story made worldwide news on the Internet...and the Ukranian Gov was desperatly trying to forget Chernobyl.

What everyone also seems to be unaware of is that Elena and many other people have been inside the Zone for years. She used to go there with her school friends.
Criminals live there, hunters hunt there, some peasants have moved back into their old homes.
There is no fence around the Dead Zone (or at least there never used to be) simply some concrete barriers stopping cars entering the now disused roads.
Around the reactor there are barriers and guards and high security.

I find it amusing that so many of you are so quick to call Elena a liar, based on that one Ukranian Governments woman's report.

I don't need to defend Elena. As she says, people will believe her or not, she could care less.
But...don't you wonder why the Ukranian Government has never taken Eleana to task over her website if everything she says is untrue?

And I know someone else who has been inside the Zone on a bike...it got quite popular there for a while, hence the now tightened security.

Jaq , i certainly did expect you to stand up for her website , after all you have interviewed an met her... There is much to her story that does not meet hte eye..  including her story of her dad being a scientist at the facility amongst others. Her website depicting the "ghost town" has been altered from when it first appeared in 04...the origonal site had many more discrepancies. She is not and has not been telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth .....

As to Chernobyl itself , yes there are ppl that have ventured back into the "dead zone" but as you say the dead zone is large ... i certainly do dispute that she has been there on her own as she claims .... some it has been fabricated.

Erich van daniken had his books published for years ....
Dan brown swears by the da vinci code ...

u know where i am going with this

Offline BOZO

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 09:26:30 am »
I Could care less if she went there on her bike, on a bicycle, or one of these little black plastic pick and pay motorbikes.
The fact is that somebody was there and took those pictures. The wild around and in the "dead zone" have not see humans in 20 years, +/- 3 generations (for animals) this alone must be an incredible sight to behold. The sheer beauty of a Wild animal that isn't scared of a human. then the heart breaking reality of a city destroyed by human greed and need for power.
To go there and see what we have done to ourselves (as the human race) must be a lesson in life we could use.
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them." Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline Jaqhama

• Race Dog
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 11:24:27 am »
Elena cares more about the fact that people visit her website and contemplate the serious errors that mankind made at Chernobyl, than she does about defending her reputation for truth.
As such I shall say no more myself.

The Russian and Ukranian governments want to build at least a dozen reactors in their countries now...all based on the same design that was used for Chernobyl.
America is supposed to be following suit.

They would all like Chernobyl and Elena's website to be gone and forgotten.

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • What me worry?
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 11:40:19 am »
Elena cares more about the fact that people visit her website and contemplate the serious errors that mankind made at Chernobyl, than she does about defending her reputation for truth.
As such I shall say no more myself.

The Russian and Ukranian governments want to build at least a dozen reactors in their countries now...all based on the same design that was used for Chernobyl.
America is supposed to be following suit.

They would all like Chernobyl and Elena's website to be gone and forgotten.

Any nuclear power station carries risks , no one can dispute that however i dont see too many VIABLE alternatives to satisfy the demand for power. Sure there are options but these do not deliver the kind of power required to sustain the requirements for power. So we have 2 options ...reduce our need for power or go nuclear...

1. reducing the need: mankind has become so dependant on electricity i am not sure this is feasible, hot bath , tv, micrwave, lighting etc etc ...would you be willing to forgo some of these ?

2. I reckon the only viable option is nuclear..worst can happen is we blow up the planet ...no great worries really ...mankind is on that path of self destruction anyway...