SwaMozSa Trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ou Ryperd

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R
Let me start with the formalities first.

Apologies to the rest of the group for only doing the ride report now. Thank you to all who went on this epic ride, and to those who stayed at home (Oetie & Aldo).

What started out as a "small" group ride, ended up in being one of the largest groups I've been part of:
-Des, wife & daughter in their Pajero (another 1st for me, a back-up car... But more later).
-Dewie - HP2
-Wynand - 990 ADV
-Hennie - Husky 610
-Jacques - 1200 GS
-Lenox - 1150 GSA
-Myself - 950 ADV S

The idea started in April, with Oetie & Wynand, taking lead on the planning - we are going to Verneukpan. JA, I know it sounds confusing, but bear with me... After the initial route was planned, we "invited" more friends, who invited their friends.... You get the picture?  >:D
At the 1st "formal" discussion about the trip to Verneukpan, the friends hi-jacked our idea completely! The Pan is too far for a weekend, even a longish weekend, bla-bla-bla... Alternative?

Mozambique via Swaziland! Date: 15 June - 19 June. All systems go... or not. Oetie & Aldo cannot go – work.  :-\

Not to bore you with the detail to get into Swaziland, I can only tell that we rode via the N4 onto Carolina, then a nice dirt road towards Josephs Dall border post – a quick and painless ride, and so was the border crossing. Hennie & Jacques will meet us at our overnight spot, together with Des & family.

Once in Swazi, the “real” ride started. We stopped for lunch at Maguga Dam, overlooking the impressive dam wall. Our destination for the day – Milwane Wildlife Sanctuary – a total of about 460km for the day. But our journey would not be without trouble. On a beautiful piece of dirt road Lenox’s GSA’s pulley belt which charges the alternator disintegrated completely. We are stuck… or are we?

DSCN1201.JPG

DSCN1202.JPG

DSCN1204.JPG

Dewie & Wynand went ahead to search for the BMW dealer in Manzini, whilst I chaperoned Lenox back to civilization. The plan – we ride until the battery dies, then I’ll give him a pull. The dealer was closed as it was way after five in the afternoon, thus we will fix the pig the next day.

DSCN1207.JPG

The pig’s battery lasted all the way until the turnoff to Milwane. I had to pull Lenox in darkness on the dirt road which we shared with taxis, goats, cattle and other crazy people. Dewie & Wynand was somewhere behind us, still coming out of the town traffic.

We arrived safe at our camp site, with the fire up and roaring, and cold drinks ready for tired riders. The backup car started to impress me.

DSCN1209.JPG

The next morning we will ride via the main road to Manzini to fix the alternator belt at BMW, and then we will reconsider our route – we were on holiday, and in no rush. YET!

After what felt like an eternity, the pig started on own power, and we were off again. But time was against us, as we had to reach Ponta before dark. We decided to go via tar to the border, and from there hook up with the original route as planned. But lady luck was against Lenox, and after 50km the gearbox of the pig said enough is enough, and with a spectacular slide and blue smoke from the rear tyre Lenox came to a stop. Lucky for us it was next to a bush butchery which sold cold Coke. You do not want to eat that meat.

DSCN1211.JPG

We called BMW Manzini, waited… waited…. And waited some more. Eventually the truck arrives, and Lenox takes a bold step to say that they can keep the bike till after the weekend, he will hitch a ride in the Pajero (phew, the backup car to the rescue again). Time was running out on us, and we had to speed up our process, as the sand monster was waiting for us.

Jacques had some negative feedback on the 1st stretch of serious sand, but he stood up and soldiered on.

DSCN1216.JPG

Our problems only started… The sand monster to Ponta will be fed this day. Soon we were in the renowned 2-spoor sand tracks heading towards Ponta.
It was on this stretch where Jacques called it a day, and Lenox took over (another save by the backup car). I must say, I never saw anyone get dressed so quick to go sukkel in the sand, but Lenox did this in record time.

DSCN1220.JPG

DSCN1219.JPG

DSCN1218.JPG

But alas, lady luck was still not with us, and time was running out. At one section the tracks split, and here Dewie & Wynand took the right track (which was the correct track) and the rest of us went left (wrong). I will let the pictures tell you the story, as all I can remember was that I sukkeled and sukkeled, got gatvol, soldiered on, got more gatvol, and then had to pitch my tent in the dark.

DSCN1224.JPG

DSCN1230.JPG

DSCN1239.JPG

DSCN1247.JPG

DSCN1256.JPG

DSCN1266.JPG

I got rid of my jacket, because at this stage I was boiling hot

DSCN1271.JPG

After a good night’s rest, the group split up. Hennie, Jacques, Lenox, Des & family wanted to have breakfast at the sea, whilst Dewie, Wynand & I wanted to get out of the sand before the heat of the day. Our destination for today is Pongola. We filled up and headed towards the border. Wynand had a moment, and I was so fascinated with his antics that I lost control and bought a prime piece of sand right in front of three drunk as sailors Mozambique’s. They had a good chuckle, no… they pissed themselves.

After they managed to stop laughing at this white they offered to help. But I was so demoer in; I picked the 950 with full luggage up in a jiffy. Started… no sir, there is no power. Only the dreaded grrrr-grrrr-grrrr-tick-tick-boggorall battery. WTF???? Push start in the sand did not work, so I called Des to come jump me with the car (another save). As I waited my mind was pondering why do we do this? Why do we embark on journeys when we know we will suffer as sick dogs? Des & Lenox arrived, and another change of plan. Why not hitch a ride on a bakkie going to the border? It will be quicker and saver, as Dewie & Wynand was at this stage back in SA.

DSCN1284.JPG

Flagged a bakkie down, met a great guy and off I went. Met up with the other two at the Steers in Manguzi, had a burger for breakfast. Dewie pulled me, and within 5 meters the 950 purred as normal – and we finished the trip with no further hassles. Still don’t know what went wrong in Moz.

The three of us took a very nice road past Dingaan’s grave, over Jozini dam and onto Pongola. The rest arrived late afternoon.

DSCN1285.JPG

DSCN1290.JPG

DSCN1291.JPG

DSCN1294.JPG

Today we ride to Country Trax via the exact same route as what the GS Trophy followed. A route full of promises. But today was Dewie’s turn to have bud luck – he tried to move a mountain with his HP, and the end result was a sidewall cut in the shape of a lighting strike. No way we could fix this, and Wynand (and Jacques) was way up front with the extra tubes, and no cell phone reception. Bugger. We plugged the hole with 5 plugs, inflate it to two bars, and went back. Checking every few km if more air was needed.

DSCN1296.JPG

DSCN1298.JPG

DSCN1300.JPG

Back in Pongola we search for a front tube, and found one at an engineering shop, who happens to sell bike parts as well, and promptly Dewie purchased a new front tyre. But they could not fit it for us. We had to go to a tyre shop for this. Again we ran out of time, left a message on Wynand’s phone, and off we went on tar to Paulpietersburg where we will meet up with Wynand & Jacques. Des & family, with Lenox for company were going straight to Country Trax after they detoured on their own through the country side.

The ride to Country Trax was without incident, and we arrived late afternoon to welcoming Jan & Elsie, and a bewildered group of trainees.
We kuiered till late, and settled to sleep in the large kitchen/lounge. We were not lus to pitch tents again.

Sunday morning we left after breakfast, and headed back home. Another memorial trip, one that must be redone.
This trip was a first for many of us. It was Jacques 1st off-road trip, my 1st in such a large group with a backup car, and the 1st this group rode together.