Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Good Quote  (Read 347 times)

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
Good Quote
« on: June 20, 2007, 08:54:11 am »
I am busy reading this book, have been for the last two years (I seem to struggle to motivate myself to pick it up), but this paragraph I found to be quite profound:

"You see things vacationing on a motorcycle in a way that is completely different from any other.  In a car you're always in a compartment, and because you're used to it you don't realize that through that car window everything you see is just more T.V.  You're a passive observer and it is all moving by you boringly in a frame.  On a motorcycle the frame is gone.  You're completely in contact with it all.  You're in the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming." ~ Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Ballies

• Cut me loose
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • KTM 950 Adventure Rules!!
Re: Good Quote
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 09:06:35 am »
Its a classic quote and a classic book. A must read item for any biker. :)
I want a shark with a frikken laser beam

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Ons gaan nou ry
Re: Good Quote
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 09:15:29 am »
I must have started reading that book 20 times. You eventually get so lost, you have start all over again. Not the easiest book to read, but well worth the effort.

I like the part where he tried to make shims for his mate's BM from a beer can...... An excellent idea, but not in the eyes of the BM dude. If they had KLR's when he wrote the book, I'm sure he would have ridden one
Don't look back, that's not where you're going.