Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: New Bike Guide to Tar and Gravel Adventures in South Africa  (Read 3841 times)

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
    • Social Travel Digital solutions
Re: New Bike Guide to Tar and Gravel Adventures in South Africa
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2011, 04:11:20 pm »
I looked at the book in Exclusives and placed it back on the shelf. Not worth it. Maybe for reading and trip dreaming, but not really useful beyond that.

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Geotraveller

« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2011, 08:59:23 pm »
Bought a copy at CNA at O.R. Tambo, probably a bit more expensive than it should have been but what the hay....nice read

Offline DeonS

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • BMW R100RT (1982)
    • My motorcycle trips.
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2011, 10:57:54 am »
Mine arrived in the little backwater of Stutterheim this morning  :thumleft:  In perfect condition!

Thanks again for all the trouble you took!
Deon

Offline Karoo Rider

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2014, 02:57:43 pm »
Got a copy of this book as a present from my brother recently.  Knowing they're around R260 I was very grateful and have started reading bits and pieces here and there.  A good read with tips and pictures to get you start planning a route soon. 

I am however somewhat disappointed with the numerous errors.  I know I can be finicky about these things, but to me it’s fundamental that something that’s sold to the public be as close to perfect as possible.

As mentioned I’ve only read small sections here and there, but a few examples of some simple errors so far:

P. 15   “can can” – perhaps “can”?
P. 29   “Toorkop” – should be Towerkop, Toorkop is another nearby peak.
P. 41   “1989” – the Laingsburg flood was in 1981.
P. 71   “Lwsotho” – Lesotho?

Furthermore the maps are not accurate at all.  Some roads are marked as tarred when it’s not.  Private farm roads (no access) are indicated as normal routes, while a few major gravel roads aren’t even indicated at all.

All in all a great read, hopefully we’ll see an updated version soon. :thumleft: