The Road Less Travelled

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

durbandave

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
So I am totally new at this whole adventure riding thing and dont even know yet what all the terms and abbreviations that get used here on this forum mean, but after one little trip the other day, I am hooked.

I had to go from Pinetown to Wartburg for work and I told the GPS to give me the absolute shortest route and I just followed the GPS.

It took me through the valley of thousand hills. Generally on dirt roads with a patch of tar here and there. Some of the dirt roads were nothing more than foot-paths.

I got stuck in two places. The first I got my back wheel stuck in a rut in the centre of the road. I managed to lever it out of the rut using desperation force and the centre stand. The second place was soft sand like beach sand. Here I just let most of the air out of the tyres and pumped them again when I got to Wartburg.

I would imagine that they teach you how to get out of these stuck positions at these off-road courses (like the BMW Off-Road Academy here in KZN)?

One thing I did note is that the local populace were very friendly in the rural areas and I did not feel threatend in any way. Perhaps it is also because it was at 9am on a Friday morning and the hooligans were sleeping it off at that time of the day?

Every trip I make each day now I try to find a new route to go there. The road less travelled is so much better than the normal N3 or N2 routes. I should have bought a GS years ago instead of wasting my time on road bikes..............................