Brake Issues - BMW F800GS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggest BMW Fan

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Okay, so I’ve been having ongoing issues with the front brakes on my 2011 BMW F800GS.
I bought the bike about two months ago, new and I’ve done about 2300km’s now. From day one I’ve had rattling front discs. Apparently all the F800GS’s have the same problem. I argued with BMW that the demo which I was given to ride never had a rattle! The other issue I’ve been having is noisy brakes. Either they drone or squeak under braking. My bike has been into the dealership four times now to have the problem mended.
Finally, BMW agreed to replace the front discs and brake pads under warranty. T his was done five days ago. I’ve noticed since the discs/pads were replaced the rattle is still there (however slightly better than before) and within approximately twenty km’s of riding, the noisy, squeaky brakes are back! I was told previously that the brakes on the F800GS are very sensitive and due to the pressure we exert on them and the poor road conditions in SA, they’re prone to the above-mentioned. What I don’t understand is that my bike is used for daily commuting and the road from Fourways to Northgate is far from poor! My bike has never been used off-road. To be honest I wouldn’t want to take the bike off-road. If the brakes play up riding on good, tar roads, can you image what they’ll do off-road??? It kinda defeats the point of buying a GS which is a dual purpose bike and you’re worried about taking it off-road!
I’m really starting to get irritating and angry about this – you wouldn’t expect this from a BMW, let alone a brand new one. I was told to bring the bike back again now. They want to ride the bike and see if the brakes are making the noise as I’ve claimed. If they pick up on the noise I’ve mentioned they’ll send the bike back to BMW SA. Murphy’s Law, the brakes won’t make the noise when the chap from BMW rides the bike! As my username states, Biggest BMW Fan. I’m very disappoint in the product so far! I never had issues like this on my previous BMW’s i.e. F650GS “Twin” and R1200GS
If the bike goes back to BMW then what???
:angry4: :angry4: :angry4: